Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Another servo thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Default Another servo thread

So I need to order a servo for my new scx project, I have narrowed it down to the usual 7995, 7990 and the savox 1230sg.

I have searched and read until I am blue in the face and I still cant decide. I dont want to cheap out and end up regretting it so id rather save a bit more and spend it once. But at the same time I dont want to spend more than I need. It will be a mixxed use rig(trails with mud, climbs, rocks for crawling). The only real servo ihave experience with was my hitec 5646wp that I was prettyhappy with before I stripped the gears.

So what im hoping for is for guys to fill in the blanks to the below questions, because I seem to find alot of guys that have a servo for a week and its the greatest thing out there but there x brand only lasted this long kind of thing.I think it will clear up alot of questions.

Heres an example, if you guys have other servos please add them into the mix as well, if this exists somewhere and I missed it- link it up.

Servo: hitec 5646wp
Price: $56.99 CAD
Being ran on: axial wraith w/35t rockstar on 3s and ax2
Voltage ran at:7.4
Mounting :axle mounted
Waterproofed: factory (if not factory and yes what did you use)
Had it for: 1ish year, approx 30 packs
Rig use: bashing and crawling
Issues: hit a tree and stripped out the gears
Overview: The servo did me well, worked well for what I was doing with it, never had any non abuse issues with it. Power seemed ok to me being a beginner and not having alot of experience in hobby grade electronics. Would recommend to someone on a budget thats not expecting a miracle but wants a solid product.
86-tin-top is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #2

Default Re: Another servo thread

I guess out of the 70 people who have read this, not 1 is running a servo, yet everyone will complain about the forums going down hill. Back to Facebook groups it is.
86-tin-top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Hitec 7954 or Holmes Hobbies is what I run, almost forgot the ace
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've ran 1230-1231 2270 2230 savox servos there all good servos for the price they are alittle noise

The hitec 7990 seems alittle over kill for for what your trying to do.

I just started to use a hitec 7950 and I'm pretty happy so far with it.

I would look at the 1230 or 7950
Teasley4Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm convinced brushless (not coreless) servos are the way to go, that's what the Hitec 9380 is but it's pricey ($175). The Holmes HV500 and Promodeler servos are also brushless, high voltage, all aluminum case and all steel gears. Either of those can be had for right at $100. I run the Promodeler and it has held up great, better than the Hitec 7955 and 7950 plus it's silent. People rave about the Holmes HV500 too, but they're out of stock right now. When I need to get a new servo that'll be the one
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Can't you replace the gears? If you are otherwise happy with the servo you are using, I'd repair it...If you want another servo, after seeing the customer service provided by Holmes Hobby, I'd get the Holmes HV500...
Chumley54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86-tin-top View Post
So I need to order a servo for my new scx project, I have narrowed it down to the usual 7995, 7990 and the savox 1230sg.

I have searched and read until I am blue in the face and I still cant decide. I dont want to cheap out and end up regretting it so id rather save a bit more and spend it once. But at the same time I dont want to spend more than I need. It will be a mixxed use rig(trails with mud, climbs, rocks for crawling). The only real servo ihave experience with was my hitec 5646wp that I was prettyhappy with before I stripped the gears.

So what im hoping for is for guys to fill in the blanks to the below questions, because I seem to find alot of guys that have a servo for a week and its the greatest thing out there but there x brand only lasted this long kind of thing.I think it will clear up alot of questions.

Heres an example, if you guys have other servos please add them into the mix as well, if this exists somewhere and I missed it- link it up.

Servo: hitec 5646wp
Price: $56.99 CAD
Being ran on: axial wraith w/35t rockstar on 3s and ax2
Voltage ran at:7.4
Mounting :axle mounted
Waterproofed: factory (if not factory and yes what did you use)
Had it for: 1ish year, approx 30 packs
Rig use: bashing and crawling
Issues: hit a tree and stripped out the gears
Overview: The servo did me well, worked well for what I was doing with it, never had any non abuse issues with it. Power seemed ok to me being a beginner and not having alot of experience in hobby grade electronics. Would recommend to someone on a budget thats not expecting a miracle but wants a solid product.
I was wondering what servo you ended up going with?
Spudd74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86-tin-top View Post
I guess out of the 70 people who have read this, not 1 is running a servo, yet everyone will complain about the forums going down hill. Back to Facebook groups it is.
I would guess that there might be over 200 threads talking about servos. All the information you are looking for is here already and that's why nobody responded. Everyone has different opinions and has based these opinions on trial and error and experience. Buy a servo that specs out what you are looking for and is in your budget. You know what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

SA-1230SG

^ big boy torque requiring only 6 volts to net it's peak torque/perf.
makes it an affordable W I N N E R in my book

1/10 - a little overkill maybe...
but having too much is always better then having too little

PL TSL SX 4.30" tires (1.9)

Axial R35 Trepadore tires 4.65" (1.9)

1/6 - enough torque to turn these 2.2 sticky tires respectfully

PL TSL SX/XL 5.8" tires (2.2)

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 05-17-2016 at 10:18 AM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Another servo thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thread for turning servo into winch jon1197 Newbie General 2 12-14-2009 11:22 AM
My First Thread Ever: Servo Question Scuddy Electronics 2 06-13-2008 05:50 AM
Servos. I know, another servo thread. PapaGeno21 Electronics 20 02-24-2008 04:43 PM
servo thread wrightcs77 Electronics 8 03-19-2007 04:24 PM
help finding servo thread fatboysracing Electronics 1 12-23-2006 11:23 PM