RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Hobbywing Quicrun 860 Brushed Dual Motor ESC questions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/556812-hobbywing-quicrun-860-brushed-dual-motor-esc-questions.html)

4drmopar 02-11-2016 03:01 PM

Hobbywing Quicrun 860 Brushed Dual Motor ESC questions

So I ordered a Hobbywing Quicrun 860 ESC as I was told it was basically the AE-5 from Axial in different clothing... cool deal! Fast forward a few weeks (from China) and what arrives is a dual motor esc..... two sets of motor wires... interesting... without cracking the case open..... is this just two leads paralleled together for the additional motors? Could this be used with one motor or do I need to fight to get them to ship it back? Or just turn around and sell it?

Chumley54 02-11-2016 05:09 PM

Re: Hobbywing Quicrun 860 Brushed Dual Motor ESC questions

I am using that ESC on my Clod. (Stock silver cans and 3S Lipo).

The output is just 2 sets of wire in parallel. Not significantly different than the quicrun 1060 (I have one of those too). The 860 will handle a 4S lipo and uses a dip switch to change settings. The 1060 only handles a 3S and uses jumpers for settings. The 860 also adds a boat mode.

The 860 has a fan too, while the 1060 doesn't.

I am a fan of these controllers and I just bought another 1060 for my new CC-01 Unimog. The price and performance can't be beat.

My clod with the 3S and quicrun 860 is faster than I will ever want to go....it wheelies and pulls strong. The 3S will kill the silver cans faster, but the Clod really is a lot a fun with this combo.

If you want, you can run a single motor on a siingle set of wires, or siamese the wires. It really appears it is a 1060 with fan.

Oh, the other better feature is the 860 has a 3A, switched BEC, the 1060 is a 2 amp linear BEC.

You should have a good time withthe 860.

4drmopar 02-12-2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumley54 (Post 5444499)
Oh, the other better feature is the 860 has a 3A, switched BEC, the 1060 is a 2 amp linear BEC.

I apologize ahead of time, but, what is the difference... I started this hobby in the 80's and a BEC put out 5-6 volts to replace the 4 "AA" batteries to power the receiver....
Thanks for the patience!

Marco-1976 02-13-2016 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4drmopar (Post 5445294)
I apologize ahead of time, but, what is the difference... I started this hobby in the 80's and a BEC put out 5-6 volts to replace the 4 "AA" batteries to power the receiver....
Thanks for the patience!

A simplified answer would be:
if you would like to use powerfull servos, they will be drawing more Amps, as Power = Voltage x Current. When you would be using high power, your BEC has to supply high current, and when you are constantly drawing current at the ESC's max rating, the ESC will heat up quickly. If the ESC reaches it's maximum temperature, it will go in to save mode and stop functioning untill it is cooled down. So therefore, choose an ESC that has some spare in its current rating.

The voltage is related to the turning speed of the servo. If you look at the servo specs, there will be an indication how fast the servo wil turn a specified angle at a given voltage. The higher the voltage, the faster it will turn.

A little google search will give you more information on how and what, but I hope this short explanation will point you in the right direction.

Chumley54 02-13-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4drmopar (Post 5445294)
Thanks for the patience!

A BEC can have a variety of ratings. Some BEC is just a pass through of the main battery pack. No voltage regulation at all.

Some have linear voltage regulators, some have switched voltage regulators.

The voltage setting may be fixed at some voltage (5.0 volts to 7.2 or 7.4 volts).
Some have adjustable outputs.

The amp rating comes into play when you have different loads.

For instance, my Blackfoot has a single steering servo....the servo is a Futaba S131, a slightly higher torque rating then an S148, but that is about it. It has a pretty low amp draw. A 1.5 amp, 6 volt BEC is plenty of power for it.

My Clodbuster Steering has two Metal gear, heavy duty servos. Each servo can draw up to 1.5 amps max. Together, they can draw 3 amps. My BEC had a 2 amp BEC. My Clod Buster kept glitching, like a dead main battery when turning tightly. The full lock on the steering causes the BEC to cut out as the amperage was higher then the BeC could supply. I have added an external 10 amp max BEC from Castle, as the 2 servos and now a variety of lighting has even more draw than the Quickrun 860 can supply.

When using 4 AA batteries, the batteries deliver a little over 6 volts at about 2500 mAh, or about 2.5 amps. If you try to draw more, the voltage drops and the servos slow down... At that draw, your Alkaline AA's will go dead pretty fast.

So the 860 with a 3 amp, Switching BEC can supply more current than your AA batteries. A separate, stand alone BEC can be had that supply up to 20 Amps at a set voltage. If you have a RC truck with more than just a single steering servo (Lights, winch, 4 wheel steering W/2 servos, etc) the built in BEC in most ESC's is not enough, and even alkaline batteries are not enough.

You can get a stronger BEC or use a larger, separate battery pack for servo power. At one time, I was using a 5 cell, NiMH 6 volt pack for servo power on my Clod.

So the BEC rating is as important to know as the maximum output amps for the motor on an ESC.