Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Wraith electrics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wraith electrics

I'm looking at getting another Wraith, I have had two before, but due to various different reasons I let them go, anyway I'm looking at a new kit and would like some electrics recommendations.
I'm wanting to stay brushed if possible, but open to brushless, based on wearing out 5 brushed motors in my other two.
I don't really want to go the Tekin or Holmes route, simply because they aren't readily available in the UK.
Is there other reliable options for a Wraith, they seem to be motor killers for brushed stuff, but they come brushed stock, so something must work?
I've seen the HPI GT550 motor recommended but it doesn't say what turn the motor is, does anyone know?
It will most likely be run on 3s, and I'm thinking if I go brushed, the HobbyWing WP-SC8 will be a good option, albeit a bit on the big side.
What brushed options do I have?
Again, I want a reliable set up, it won't be absolutely hammered, but I hillclimb quite a lot so the power will be on a lot of the time.
If I need to, I'll go with a low kv brushless set up, but wanting to knows peoples opinions on brushed set ups first to hopefully keep the costs down.
I've also seen the Poison Spyder RTR comes with the AE-2 which I could program with my Castle Link, I already have a new Castle BEC sat here along with a 25kg Hitec ready to go in, would that be a wise set up?
Any advice, greatly appreciated
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

Default Re: Wraith electrics

I run an Axial 35T brushed motor in my Wraith with the AE-2 and Castle BEC on 3s, I love it. I'm looking at getting the Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Pro 16T to replace the Axial motor thought. I didn't feel it had enough torque to get out from between some rocks I was in but I didn't expect much for $18 usd. So far I really like the AE-2, very easy to program with the Castle Link and hasn't let me down yet.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
I run an Axial 35T brushed motor in my Wraith with the AE-2 and Castle BEC on 3s, I love it. I'm looking at getting the Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Pro 16T to replace the Axial motor thought. I didn't feel it had enough torque to get out from between some rocks I was in but I didn't expect much for $18 usd. So far I really like the AE-2, very easy to program with the Castle Link and hasn't let me down yet.
Thank you for the helpful post.
Couple of questions, do you feel 35t has enough wheelspeed?
Chances are I'll be doing more climbing on loose surface rather than hitting the rocks.
And also, how long have you been running that set up for?
I got a few days from an RC4WD 35T until it gave up lol.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

There are a lot of threads recommending electronics for the Wraith. Before you get flamed by someone, spend a little time down in the wraith section in the Stickies. Harley has an entire thread dedicated to electronics selection.

For what you are planning on doing, I'd recommend an inexpensive brushless system. It will handle the constant rpm and voltages better than a brushed motor over time. Brushes inherently wear out. Or you can just go with a cheap brushed motor and replace them frequently.

Holmes hobbies BRXL with a traxxas 21t 550 can motor running on 4S would be pretty fun
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #5

The wheel speed was fine but if it got into a bind at all it didn't have the torque to get out. Things like getting a tire pinched between two rocks or an area where a rock may have an overhang or something, it would bind up pretty easy. In areas where I just needed wheel speed to get through, it was fine.

I haven't been running this setup long so I can't say how long it will last. I just wanted to get the rig up and running and see what it had in it before I put some serious power to it.

If all your doing is 4-6" rocks, go with a sensored brushless. The chassis alone will get you through that type of stuff. I'm talking 10-12" rocks with mine where articulation only gets you so far and you need motor to get you the rest of the way.

As dna4engr said, the stickies in the Wraith section are a wealth of info.

If your staying left.. Sensored Brushless.. I'm going right..

Last edited by CraigH; 02-16-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

^^^ I think you have that misnamed, you mean sensorless brushless. Sensored brushless systems are very smooth like brushed is. Now with the Castle SENSORLESS 3800kv/Sv3 I had in my SCX10 (mudding duties, not crawling), you had no low speed control and cogged a lot.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

No I meant Sensored so he had some low end if he wanted it but still had the brushless top end.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Even if I lived across the pond
and I was wanting to go with brushed...

I would do whatever is required
to obtain a HH's BR/XL ESC.
along with a HH brushed motor.

IMO... there is no better brushed system.

I run the HH WP BR/XL with a HH TM xprt. 35T motor...
actually have these in both of my rigs.

Smoothest ESC/motor combo I've ever owned...
Not to mention the BR/XL is 2s - 6s capable !
is also Castle Creations link adjustable/compatible.
So's it can grow with most anyone's need for more !

So whether super low end torque or speed is the goal...
is just a matter of selecting a proper gearing and voltage

A lot less $ investment then a brush-less sensor type system.
Can be nearly as powerful and will be more reliable/durable if submerged.

Ignore the sensor-less, brush-less systems for smooth operator control
especially if crawling speeds are of any relevance.

^ it's just a wee pond in a small world
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've already done some reading on them but a lot of folks seem to be spending a lot more than I want to spend.
I've just picked up a second hand roller and I've been offered a Gen1 Tekin Redline 21.5T brushless motor, so I'm thinking of some kind of HobbyWing sensored ESC to go along with it.
Just not sure which one.
I've just had terrible luck with brushed stuff in Wraiths so I think brushless is going to be the one to go for this time round.
Plus, importing the HH stuff will be very costly to me.
Around $225 just for the motor and ESC, plus about $50 in shipping and another roughly $75 in import fees.
I could buy a sensored brushless combo with lots of change left over :P
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be trying out 2s to begin with simply because I have some, if that's not enough, then 3s it will be.
I know the motor can handle 3s because the person who has offered it to me ran it on 3s in a rock bouncer.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up on that electrics thread in the Wraith section... I'm so used to them being a bust and full of 300 pages of crap that doesn't answer my questions but actually that thread helped me make up my mind.
I've got too set in my ways of being cynical of 'help' threads, my bad

Wraith electrics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
different electrics gaz Electronics 2 03-20-2012 06:41 PM