Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: No definitive ESC thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question No definitive ESC thread?

Anybody know why there's not even one ESC-related thread listed under Definitive ESC, MOTOR, and BATTERY threads - RCC's top tech threads! ? Is it that there aren't any decent ESC's, too many good options to list, or maybe just nobody to organize an application-based (1.9 slow-crawling, 2.2 trail-busting, supercrawlers) list?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2016, 04:17 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: No definitive ESC thread?

No one has written one.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Well, it's going to take someone wiser than I to do so. What about a combined effort group project? It could be like a democracy where esc's are nominated for each application and then voted on. Thoughts?

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 02-29-2016 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Suck it up!

Someone would have to take the time and investment to do an in depth and educated assessment of each and every relevant esc available. Years ago it wouldn't have been a big deal, but now it would be a fairly overwhelming task.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

This doesn't have to be a professional assessment. All of us have various levels of experiential wisdom in regard to esc's. I know we can do it if we work together. =)
Old 02-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I bought my first land RC this month and the frigging ESC was bad. It worked like a toy. If I were running a boat it could hurt some body. Or how about a aircraft . I posted to get info from a bunch of guys who have some or a lot of time with this stuff. I was lucky because I got some help from the group who cared about stuff like which ESCS work with crawalers. I don't know a thing about crawler ESCs and I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to know more. Only you guys know this stuff. That's why I joined this group, to learn from the people that know what works and what don't.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Bluerock108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Bluerock, for better or for worse I started the ball rolling with http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...-new-post.html . After we figure out the categories then we can start nomination esc's for each. My guess is that there will be some overlap, but that's no biggie. Once the noms are wrapped up we can vote for our favorites in each category. At least, that's my current plan of attack unless someone has a better idea?
Old 02-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
This doesn't have to be a professional assessment. All of us have various levels of experiential wisdom in regard to esc's. I know we can do it if we work together. =)
It kinda does, or at least an experienced assessment. There have been many "reviews" posted on this site, most of them were ultimately worthless. Unless you've had hands on experience with a wide variety of product, you simply can't have an objective and educated opinion to put forth.

Example of a worthless review: Noob buys random aftermarket part to replace a stock part on his very first rig, proclaims that aftermarket part to be the best thing ever, then proceeds to sprinkle that opinion around at every opportunity. Meanwhile, everyone else with experience is wondering where he got the crack that he was smoking because he could have done much, much better going with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerock108 View Post
I don't know a thing about crawler ESCs and I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to know more. Only you guys know this stuff. That's why I joined this group, to learn from the people that know what works and what don't.
Sometimes you have to do the work yourself. Research and be observant. If you keep seeing the same brand/model pop up in builds, chances are it's of decent quality.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 02-29-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

Sometimes you have to do the work yourself. Research and be observant. If you keep seeing the same brand/model pop up in builds, chances are it's of decent quality.
And there you have it. Find the section in this forum that relates to what you're building or upgrading and read a few of the build threads. Just about everyone posts their parts list. You can then make up your own mind as to which ESC is suitable for your needs.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
And there you have it. Find the section in this forum that relates to what you're building or upgrading and read a few of the build threads. Just about everyone posts their parts list. You can then make up your own mind as to which ESC is suitable for your needs.
I'd also add that it is perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed. There are many choices, and loads of info. At some point you will buy the wrong thing. It happens to everyone. Live and learn.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:33 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The point of having a definitive esc thread is so newbies don't have to do hours of reading, hunting and research to get an idea of some good choices are; not everyone has limitless time to spend trolling the forums or funds to spend "living and learning".

If anyone thinks this is too difficult, doesn't have enough experience and/or knowledge about various esc's and their corresponding applications to bring something helpful to the table, or they just plain don't like helping n00bs and the hobby grow, they don't have to chime in.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys. Your spot on about trolling the threads for info. The info is all there but it took days of reading before I had a basic understanding of what the differences were. I still have about five years of forms to read. Not that I mind so much. My truck already runs better.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Bluerock108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

On the flip side of that coin......it's not that we mind helping noobs, it's that we also are busy.... replacing our burned up esc that someone recommended

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 03-20-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
The point of having a definitive esc thread is so newbies don't have to do hours of reading, hunting and research to get an idea of some good choices are; not everyone has limitless time to spend trolling the forums or funds to spend "living and learning".

If anyone thinks this is too difficult, doesn't have enough experience and/or knowledge about various esc's and their corresponding applications to bring something helpful to the table, or they just plain don't like helping n00bs and the hobby grow, they don't have to chime in.
What you want to do is fine, I think it's a great idea to have such a resource within easy reach, but it has to be factual, comprehensive, and objective. It cannot be driven by opinion and minimal experience.

Some of us have been here quite a while and have seen many, many review threads, most of which were based on very little experience mixed with the excitement of purchasing an upgraded piece of hardware. They typically die off and get shuffled to the back pages relatively quickly, and can lead people in the wrong direction. Sometimes no information is more helpful than bad information.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
on the flip side of that coin......it's not that we mind helping noobs, it's that we also are busy.... Replacing our burned up esc that someone recommended

Cheers,
wade
lol

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 03-24-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Removed hotlinked Tapatalk signature
Old 03-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #16
MODERATOR™

A perk of being a moderator is within two clicks you can be gone. I highly suggest you reevaluate your Tapatalk signature.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What you want to do is fine, I think it's a great idea to have such a resource within easy reach, but it has to be factual, comprehensive, and objective. It cannot be driven by opinion and minimal experience.

Some of us have been here quite a while and have seen many, many review threads, most of which were based on very little experience mixed with the excitement of purchasing an upgraded piece of hardware. They typically die off and get shuffled to the back pages relatively quickly, and can lead people in the wrong direction. Sometimes no information is more helpful than bad information.

Yup. I get a good laugh ever time some noobie buys a part or complete vehicle and it's the best thing ever and is indestructible. A few people rush out and spend their money based on the "review" and within a month all you hear is what a piece of junk the part or rig is. The twin hammers comes to mind, all the testers were saying how awesome it was and how nothing had broken while testing. Then they hit the market and everyone figured out the steering is junk. The "fix" for the steering using traxxas parts was junk too.

WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
Suck it up!

The dead giveaway usually is "it goes everywhere I want it to". Nothing goes everywhere you want it to unless you have very low expectations.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The dead giveaway usually is "it goes everywhere I want it to". Nothing goes everywhere you want it to unless you have very low expectations.
"Keep your expectations low and you'll never be disappointed."

Too many people are caught up in wanting to give good reviews so people will like them. I am closer to the other end of the spectrum. I test parts very clinically. If it's good I'll tell you it is, if it's junk then by gawd it is junk.

I've had great luck with old axial Ae2 esc's. Ran 3s using an external BEC for the last 5 years. Good drag brake, throttle curve adjustments etc are all available in this old work horse.

I burned up a handful of castle sv3's but most were my fault for the signal wire getting pinched and shorted (2) or soldering the power wires on reversed (1) one other died for an unknown reason. But I've had one for the last 4 years that has been beaten severely and thermally shut down more times than I can count. It's still running a 5700 4 pole in my basher right now. Of course being a castle product this has all the usual adjustments. Plus it's waterproof so it can go snorkeling.

Turnigy Trackstar 150A is a solid piece too. I've been running one for about 2 years and it's still going strong as the first day. It ran a 4250 4 pole sensored motor for well over a year in my exo and tuber now it's pushing a 2350 4 pole sensored motor in my tuber. It will see 5s this summer so well see how it shakes out. This esc has all the normal adjustments you'd expect like throttle slopes, drag brake etc. It's drag brake is abrupt and strong so set it carefully.

I just picked up a holmes hobbies brxl last week. So far I really like it. The throttle control is more precise than my trusted Ae2 and holmes hold is pretty awesome. Time will tell how it treats me since I plan to run 6s through it but from what I've read and seen from those around me it will be a good piece.

That's my first hand experience in the last 5 years or so. I can go back waaay further but it wouldn't be relevant in today's world.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
A perk of being a moderator is within two clicks you can be gone. I highly suggest you reevaluate your Tapatalk signature.
I thought you might say that... and changed it last night in anticipation. Happy now?

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 03-24-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Removed hotlinked Tapatalk signature

Tags
esc

No definitive ESC thread? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Definitive SCX10 Upgrade Thread Axial Rose Axial SCX-10 14 02-27-2014 08:14 AM
Is the Definitive ESC, motor and battery thread....outdated! redsawacs Electronics 0 11-15-2013 09:02 AM
Definitive 1:6 Battery Thread player Newbie General 137 06-06-2010 04:15 PM
definitive lipo thread? mtnbiker93 Newbie General 2 06-02-2010 04:17 PM
The Definitive Chassis Generation Thread TwistedXT Newbie General 30 11-18-2007 04:14 PM