RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   What types of ESC's are there? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/558373-what-types-escs-there.html)

StomperCrawler 02-29-2016 09:15 PM

What types of ESC's are there?

Allow me to clarify: I realize there are brushed and brushless. What I would like us to come up with is a list of applications for esc's such that we can classify various esc's into categories. For example, esc's for:

Slow crawling - brushed
Slow and fast crawling - brushless sensored?
Rock racing - ?
Competitive crawling - ?
Trail trekking - brushed waterproof?
Bashing - un-sensored brushless

Do these "classes " of ESC's make sense? Would you suggest changes or additions?

2JSC 02-29-2016 09:56 PM

Re: What types of ESC's are there?

That would be hard to do because there are several ESC's that are both burshless and brush capable that fit into several categories that can work in Slow/Fast/Comp/Trail. It usually comes down to budget/voltage/motor.

roksloski 02-29-2016 10:01 PM

I can help you with one of them.....:ror::ror:

Slow crawling - brushed
Slow and fast crawling - brushless sensored?
Rock racing - ?
Competitive crawling - BRUSHED............FTW
Trail trekking - brushed waterproof?
Bashing - un-sensored brushless

StomperCrawler 02-29-2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roksloski (Post 5456566)
I can help you with one of them.....:ror::ror:

Competitive crawling - BRUSHED............FTW

Thanks for the input roksloski! "thumbsup"

Duuuuuuuude 02-29-2016 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JSC (Post 5456562)
That would be hard to do because there are several ESC's that are both burshless and brush capable that fit into several categories that can work in Slow/Fast/Comp/Trail. It usually comes down to budget/voltage/motor.

And personal taste.

I only have one rig that is brushed, the rest are brushless, both sensored and non sensored. None of them are comp trucks, none of them are especially fast.

StomperCrawler 02-29-2016 11:22 PM

D(ux8)de, can you think of any additional crawling-related esc applications other than those previously mentioned?

Duuuuuuuude 03-01-2016 05:46 AM

TTC and running a servo winch.

351Beno 03-01-2016 06:25 AM

Slow and fast crawling - brushless sensored
Rock racing - brushless sensored

JatoTheRipper 03-01-2016 06:38 AM

You could divide this up into lots of categories or just a few. I believe you're trying to make an ESC guide. If so, I'd stick to just a few, typical categories. I suggest sticking to the typical brushless sensored, brushless sensorless and brushed. If you want to expand it I wouldn't add many more categories and I'd suggest something like below.

Rock Racing:
Brushless sensored
Brushless sensorless
Brushed

Crawling:
Brushless sensored
Brushless sensorless
Brushed

You could add a trailing or scale crawling section, but I honestly think it is completely unnecessary. People either crawl or they rock race. I believe everything can be broken down into those two categories.

StomperCrawler 03-01-2016 07:00 AM

What about breaking it down something like this:

Novice, sportsman and pro (all price-based) crawler and rock racer classes, so 6 total? For example,the Hobbywing 1040 and/or 1060 might get nominated for novice crawler class. If we go this route, what price constraints would separate the different classes? Up to $40 for budget, $120 for sportsman and above $120 for pro? Or something different?

StomperCrawler 03-03-2016 12:03 AM

Upon further research, and with no additional comments from the peanut gallery, I've come up with these ESC categories:
  1. Brushed Novice - up to $25
  2. Brushed Sportsman - $26-$75
  3. Brushed Pro - >$75
  4. Brushless Novice - up to $25
  5. Brushless Sportsman - $26-$75
  6. Brushless Pro - >$75
...from which we can make http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...nded-escs.html.

Duuuuuuuude 03-03-2016 05:54 AM

Why are there price limits? Is this a guide to cheap escs?

Duuuuuuuude 03-03-2016 07:02 AM

How about this:

Break them up into two simple categories, brushed and brushless. List them via retail pricing, least to most expensive.

mfg
model
price
compatible voltage
physical dimensions
drag brake yes/no
notable features (factual data only, no opinions)
where to buy
pros/cons (user experience only)

StomperCrawler 03-03-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 5458166)
Why are there price limits? Is this a guide to cheap escs?

Naah, shooting for a guide to esc purchasing; besides, >$75 is limitless. Most people have a budget when it comes to buying an esc; one of my goals is to help folks find the best esc within thier budget. But hey, if you have unlimited funding, I'll happily pm you my PayPal addy so you can fund my next rc purchase; I was thinking rr10 with sensored brushless and new bright body... :ror:

Duuuuuuuude 03-03-2016 08:57 AM

I typically buy inexpensive escs, but not everyone does that. Some people don't mind paying big money.

Everyone's budgets are different, you don't know what they are any more than I do, so trying to create a " you should buy this" list is futile and could leave out some viable options.

Keep it simple and informative and let the buyer decide what is best for them.

Duuuuuuuude 03-03-2016 10:11 AM

That last post was done a bit hastily...i guess my issue was not so much with the price breakdown, but with the way they were classified.

Instead of breaking them down by intended use (because that would be a long list with a lot of duplications), break them down via brushed or brushless.

You could buy a good esc and carry it across several tiers and platforms. I personally own one that has been in a comp rig, a scale rig, and a basher. There is no need to split them out for noob/novice/pro.

People will sort out a handful of options just by browsing through threads, and will have a general idea of what they want or need. All you need to do is offer up a bit more comprehensive description to allow them to make an informed choice. What you're wanting to do should be more about information and less about opinion.