RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Throttle trouble (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/560804-throttle-trouble.html)

cyborgx 03-31-2016 06:40 AM

Throttle trouble

Hi there,

In my work building a custom 2.2 pro crawler, I have stumbled across an issue with the electronics. I use a Futuba 4PLS with a R304SB-receiver together with two Holmes Hobbies BR-Mini ESCs, two servos and two 10Amps BECs (using 4WS).

It seems that there is problem with the throttle. Now and then motor that is connected to channel 2 on the receiver gets a "kick" (just as if you hit the throttle unintentionally) for whatever reason I cannot figure out. And without me touching anything, of course.

I've tried to switch ESCs connected to channel 2 (where the problem seems to be), and the "kick-effect" moves from one motor to the other. Channel 4 (the other ESC-channel) seems to be fine, and the motor connected to this isn't affected by the same, uncontrolled "kicks".

Does anyone have any idea to what might be causing this behaviour and what to do to eliminate it? Electronic disturbance from motors/ESC? Bad connections? :cry:

winnerone23 03-31-2016 08:37 AM

Re: Throttle trouble

Futuba! (You asked what your problem was) Lol..

I say this jokingly, cause I've read about this a "few" times..
I believe it's a trim setting, that will fix this.. Yes, I know, it moves with the ESC.. But I think your throttle trim adjustment will fix it.
But first:
Have you re-calibrated the esc's?
Have you hooked them up and checked the deadband width? Maybe try opening up the width some.

Maybe a picture of your wiring/a wiring diagram, of how you have it all soldered together, would help?

cyborgx 03-31-2016 01:33 PM

Hi winnerone23,

Thanks for your reply!

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnerone23 (Post 5477476)
Futuba! (You asked what your problem was) Lol..

Oh well, perhaps that radio system wasn't the best choice? I'm starting to wonder..... :(

Quote:

I believe it's a trim setting, that will fix this.. Yes, I know, it moves with the ESC.. But I think your throttle trim adjustment will fix it.
Alright, let's see here: In the manual, Futaba has something called "THR (Throttle speed adjustment)", allowing you to set a various degree of delay (0-100%) on the throttle trigger. This is currently set (default) to 100%, giving an immediate repons. Is this what you think of as "throttle trim adjustment"?

Quote:

But first:
Have you re-calibrated the esc's?
Nope, not yet. Should I re-calibrate the ESCs one at the time, or both at the same time?

Quote:

Have you hooked them up and checked the deadband width? Maybe try opening up the width some.
Sorry, but I think I lost you here. Deadband width? How do you adjust that?

Quote:

Maybe a picture of your wiring/a wiring diagram, of how you have it all soldered together, would help?
I have a wiring diagram, just need to find somewhere to upload it first. The setup is as follows: two BECs power each of the servos, using a Y-split to pick up the signal from the receiver. ESCs are connected to channel 2 and 3, using ESC 1 (channel 2) as a power supplier for the receiver (I have terminated the red wire on the second ESC-plug).

That's about it. It works fine, but I really need to find a way to kill this kick-thing before it's driving me (and my wallet) crazy..

Thanks for all feedback. These questions have proven difficult to find answers to elsewhere.

winnerone23 03-31-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgx (Post 5477659)
Hi winnerone23,

Thanks for your reply!

Oh well, perhaps that radio system wasn't the best choice? I'm starting to wonder..... :(

Alright, let's see here: In the manual, Futaba has something called "THR (Throttle speed adjustment)", allowing you to set a various degree of delay (0-100%) on the throttle trigger. This is currently set (default) to 100%, giving an immediate repons. Is this what you think of as "throttle trim adjustment"?

Nope, not yet. Should I re-calibrate the ESCs one at the time, or both at the same time?

Sorry, but I think I lost you here. Deadband width? How do you adjust that?

I have a wiring diagram, just need to find somewhere to upload it first. The setup is as follows: two BECs power each of the servos, using a Y-split to pick up the signal from the receiver. ESCs are connected to channel 2 and 3, using ESC 1 (channel 2) as a power supplier for the receiver (I have terminated the red wire on the second ESC-plug).

That's about it. It works fine, but I really need to find a way to kill this kick-thing before it's driving me (and my wallet) crazy..

Thanks for all feedback. These questions have proven difficult to find answers to elsewhere.

I was just joking about the Futuba part.. Nothing wrong with it.
But I have read about similar happenings, with the them..

I think it's just, Trim settings..

I've only ever setup one Futuba TX.
I would assume you have a, Trim, section on the TX screen?
It would be under whichever CH you have the ESC setup too.. Try adjusting the trim in either direction and see if one way helps or not..

Hopefully someone more Futuba knowledgeable, will jump in and help..

I run a Airtronics MT4.. I run my Super with it(I run all of my rigs with it) and dual esc's and 4ws all work flawlessly..

cyborgx 03-31-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnerone23 (Post 5477663)

I think it's just, Trim settings..

I've only ever setup one Futuba TX.
I would assume you have a, Trim, section on the TX screen?
It would be under whichever CH you have the ESC setup too.. Try adjusting the trim in either direction and see if one way helps or not..

I'll try experimenting a little with the throttle trim settings.
Thanks!

cyborgx 04-01-2016 05:47 AM

Throttle neutral trim adjusted, but with no luck. :cry:

Anyone from Futaba/familiar with the brand out there who knows anything about this glitch-issue?