RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Motor Selection Help Needed - HH Puller Pro 540 vs HH Puller Pro 540XL (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/562088-motor-selection-help-needed-hh-puller-pro-540-vs-hh-puller-pro-540xl.html)

WesTX 04-18-2016 09:36 AM

Motor Selection Help Needed - HH Puller Pro 540 vs HH Puller Pro 540XL

Need some help on motor selection. Rig details below:

Mattzilla F350 Chassis - Custom
Kyosho MF Axles
2.2 wheels, PB RB2/Growler Tires
RC4WD AX2 2 speed Trans
15" wheelbase
Likely over 10 lb rig

Wondering if I should run the 540 or 540xl motor. Likely in the 2100kv version for the 540XL. If its the standard 540 itll be either the 2200kv or 2700kv model. With the high speed in the trans, can run the lower KV motor for more torque.

Wes

HahnsB2 04-18-2016 01:05 PM

Re: Motor Selection Help Needed - HH Puller Pro 540 vs HH Puller Pro 540XL

If it was mine, the standard Puller is more than enough and it has a smoother startup than the XL. Also, lower KV does not equal more torque.

WesTX 04-18-2016 01:59 PM

That was supposed to say more torque and long battery life by using the lower kv motor. I am un-edumucated on that though, so going off of what little I do know.

Thanks for the info.

Wes

WesTX 04-19-2016 06:27 AM

Man, this place is dead these days. Hardly anyone giving opinions on stuff like this anymore.

Wes

JohnRobHolmes 04-19-2016 08:25 AM

Only been one day! And Hahns is spot on. The 540 will start up smoother and won't lack in torque. Overall, it is the better choice unless you are just racing.

WesTX 04-19-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 5488851)
Only been one day! And Hahns is spot on. The 540 will start up smoother and won't lack in torque. Overall, it is the better choice unless you are just racing.

Used to this place would be hopping, just seems like activity is down lately.

Might have also partially been cause I was bored out of my mind stuck inside with the Houston flooding yesterday so it seemed like ages.

Thanks for the info JRH, you are the supreme expert here!

Wes

SCREAMER 04-21-2016 11:09 AM

I've own and run both and agree with the above recommendations. If you're doing any crawling stick with the standard 540. If you're doing a lot of high speed stuff and bashing at least 90% of the time then the XL is a ridiculous motor with parts breaking, wheely popping, respect demanding, torque. This is at the cost of a noticeable lack of startup smoothness. Don't think the standard 540 is any kind of slouch though. It also has enough torque to hoist the front end on command.

JohnRobHolmes 04-21-2016 11:56 AM

My stampede 4x4 (lcg chassis) has a 3500Kv 540 running 3s, geared about 50mph. Wheelies at practically any time just a stab away. Doesn't lack for torque at all!

WesTX 04-21-2016 12:34 PM

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Sounds like the standard 540 is the way to go for me. Exactly the feedback and info I was looking for.

Wes

TheBiffster 08-09-2016 11:12 AM

What happened to the selection of Stardard 540 3500kv Puller Pros Jon Holmes? I have a Bomber that I mostly climb with and haul ass here and there. I have the MMP and ROC412 3100kv setup in it now on 2 and 3s and looking for a little more go fast with the same startup smoothness for crawling. Will the 2700kv standard 540 puller pro with your esc do the trick with smoothness and speed?

JohnRobHolmes 08-09-2016 11:37 AM

Just not showing in inventory until we get more, should be about two weeks. We are trying to fix how the site hides KV and turn count choices when they go out of stock.

2700kv is slower than 3100, not the correct direction if you want more speed.

TheBiffster 08-09-2016 11:58 AM

Thank you for the fast reply, your electronics truly are hands down the best out there. Yeah that's what I was trying to say about the 3100kv compared to 2700kv too, sorry for the confusion. I was trying to find the higher kv Standard Puller Pro motors to get more speed and torque than my ROC412 puts out, so I'll wait til you get the 3500kv Puller Pro back in stock and order your esc/motor combo. I'm really looking forward to this and thank you again!!!

Alexander_0_1 08-09-2016 12:02 PM

How strong are the magnets in the puller pro 3500kv xl, I'm just curious, cause I was winching my bomber across the floor and the tires on the bomber weren't turning...it seems to run fine.

So I checked the drivetrain parts that I've changed and everything spins/rotates like it should when the motor is bolted on.

Di_Spencer 08-09-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 (Post 5546517)
How strong are the magnets in the puller pro 3500kv xl, I'm just curious, cause I was winching my bomber across the floor and the tires on the bomber weren't turning...it seems to run fine.

So I checked the drivetrain parts that I've changed and everything spins/rotates like it should when the motor is bolted on.

Do you have drag brake on? If you do then it will apply the break when there is no throttle input.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

wsmb 09-06-2016 10:10 PM

So if the standard 540 has a smoother start up then the 540XL can will the stubby can have a smoother start up then the standard? Or doesn't work that way? And whether the stubby or standard puller pro has a smoother start up, the 5 pole brushed crawlmaster will still have a smoother start up then both right? Not looking to race, but wouldn't mind less maintenance and more power if the start up is buttery smooth like the 5 pole. Otherwise I'll stick with my crawlmaster pro, love that creep you get with it

JohnRobHolmes 09-09-2016 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 (Post 5546517)

The magnets are indeed strong, but the XL motor "static hold" strength is because of the rotor and stator design being primarily for higher torque. The 540 and stubby actually have stronger magnets, but they are designed for smooth startup and so the shaft spins easier. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsmb (Post 5559765)
So if the standard 540 has a smoother start up then the 540XL can will the stubby can have a smoother start up then the standard? Or doesn't work that way? And whether the stubby or standard puller pro has a smoother start up, the 5 pole brushed crawlmaster will still have a smoother start up then both right? Not looking to race, but wouldn't mind less maintenance and more power if the start up is buttery smooth like the 5 pole. Otherwise I'll stick with my crawlmaster pro, love that creep you get with it

The startup differences are because of stator and rotor design, and not just length. See what I wrote to Alexander. The 540 size has the closest feel to what a Crawlmaster offers, it is my first choice for brushless in my personal rigs. I basically only use CrawlMaster Pro's or Puller Pro's. The stubby is also extremely smooth, but doesn't have as much rotor mass to dampen and smooth out response at low rpm. An average driver may not notice the difference in startup, but it is evident that the 540 standard has stronger drag. The stubby works fantastic on 6lb and lighter 1.9 rigs, I have stubbies installed into SCX10 and Ascender rigs right now and love the performance.

A Puller Pro 540 2200kv will be the closest to a 13t Crawlmaster without changing gearing. A 2700kv with additional geardown will really rival the CrawlMaster feel. If you have a 16t, some additional geardown on the 2200 will get your wheelspeed in check and get the smooth startup you love.

Speaking of "feel", would anyone be interested in a tuning rotor for 540 Stubbies to increase the drag and static hold of the motor? That seems to be the only gripe people have, typically installed into 2.2 rigs. It would likely decrease startup finesse in trade, but it wouldn't be any jumpier than a Roc412 (which is not bad by any means).

Shinjari 09-09-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 5560822)

Speaking of "feel", would anyone be interested in a tuning rotor for 540 Stubbies to increase the drag and static hold of the motor? That seems to be the only gripe people have, typically installed into 2.2 rigs. It would likely decrease startup finesse in trade, but it wouldn't be any jumpier than a Roc412 (which is not bad by any means).

THink my roc412 has good start up. My stubby does have less drag so an option to increase would be awesome "thumbsup"

Di_Spencer 09-14-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 5560822)
The magnets are indeed strong, but the XL motor "static hold" strength is because of the rotor and stator design being primarily for higher torque. The 540 and stubby actually have stronger magnets, but they are designed for smooth startup and so the shaft spins easier. "thumbsup"

The startup differences are because of stator and rotor design, and not just length. See what I wrote to Alexander. The 540 size has the closest feel to what a Crawlmaster offers, it is my first choice for brushless in my personal rigs. I basically only use CrawlMaster Pro's or Puller Pro's. The stubby is also extremely smooth, but doesn't have as much rotor mass to dampen and smooth out response at low rpm. An average driver may not notice the difference in startup, but it is evident that the 540 standard has stronger drag. The stubby works fantastic on 6lb and lighter 1.9 rigs, I have stubbies installed into SCX10 and Ascender rigs right now and love the performance.

A Puller Pro 540 2200kv will be the closest to a 13t Crawlmaster without changing gearing. A 2700kv with additional geardown will really rival the CrawlMaster feel. If you have a 16t, some additional geardown on the 2200 will get your wheelspeed in check and get the smooth startup you love.

Would the 540 puller pro or the crawlmaster 13t work with the mamba micro x or are they too much for the small esc?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

durok 09-14-2016 09:16 PM

There's a whole thread on using the Puller Pro Stubby 2200kv and the CC Micro X, variations on that theme are asked and answered there...

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...by-2200-a.html

Basically the full 540 can size isn't recommended with the Micro X.