Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Crawler wiring advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Smile Crawler wiring advice

I'm looking for some advice for wiring up my crawler. I've a rough idea of how I'd like to do it but open to other suggestions if there is better alternatives. On top of the usual steering servo & esc, I have the following: servo winch, light bar & light kit. I solely run my rig on 2S lipo and use a high mah for long run times.

My plan was to wire it up as follows:

Servo winch: run on a seperate small 2S lipo along with this wireless winch controller: Yeah Racing 1/10 Wireless Remote Receiver Winch Control Set (YR Winch / CR01-27), ,(YA-0389)

Light bar: I'd like to control this on/off through the third channel on my radio so I've been told I'd need one of these rc switches: Turnigy RC Receiver Controlled Switch on/off 10A / 30V UK STOCK. Fast Dispatch! | eBay

Light kit: I don't mind this being on all the time so will plug it into my receiver , ,(3RAC-LEDS) by 3Racing Led light system

You might ask why I'm not working the winch through my radio but unfortunately my radio only has a 2 position switch.

As I've said, I'm open to suggestions if there is a better alternative.

Thanks
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Crawler wiring advice

There are likely to be a number of different answers depending on the radio you have and the light bar you use.

I control my lights through my 3rd channel on my FlySky GT3C. The lights already use the receiver signal, so no extra controller needed. My Clod Buster controls the lightbar through channel 5, on a Flysky GT3B (Hacked) and again, the light bar plugs right into the receiver for control.

So which Light bar are you using, which Transmitter/receiver?

Different equipment will have different answers.
Chumley54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There are a lot of options. One thing to consider for the winch would be a heyok 2 position winch controller. Although if you are effectively getting a 4th channel by using a wireless winch controller that makes sense.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:23 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley54 View Post
There are likely to be a number of different answers depending on the radio you have and the light bar you use.

I control my lights through my 3rd channel on my FlySky GT3C. The lights already use the receiver signal, so no extra controller needed. My Clod Buster controls the lightbar through channel 5, on a Flysky GT3B (Hacked) and again, the light bar plugs right into the receiver for control.

So which Light bar are you using, which Transmitter/receiver?

Different equipment will have different answers.

Thanks for the responses so far

It is a Gorrilla Light Bar & Sanwa Gemini X tx/rx.

My main reason for choosing the Yeah Racing wireless winch control, is my tx doesn't have a 3 position switch, only 2 position, so was planning to use it to control just the light bar.

Here is a basic diagram of my plan:

The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:58 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

My suggestion would be to get a HeyOk switch for your light bar (and lights if you want them switched). You can get either a dimming switch or a simple on/off switch. You can also run mu,Tilley lights/light bars off one HeyOk switch.

I run two LED light bars on 3S on one dimming switch.

I tried out the Turnegy switch. I went through switches to get one that worked, plus the wiring is funky on that thing.

The HeyOk products are basically plug and play and they just work.
Dwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwill View Post
My suggestion would be to get a HeyOk switch for your light bar (and lights if you want them switched). You can get either a dimming switch or a simple on/off switch. You can also run mu,Tilley lights/light bars off one HeyOk switch.

The HeyOk products are basically plug and play and they just work.
Manually plug them in or use the HeyOK switch.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Here is how I have mine wired as an example.

Heyok bec and winch controller for a two position switch.

That leaves me with 5v from the servo channel on the receiver and 5v from the 3rd channel of the receiver.

I have the lights on the chassis, bumper front/rear and foggers running off the power tap from the 3rd channel which always remain on. The lights on the body, head, tail and more foggers run off the servo channel. I have additional lights for reverse and brake set up on the motor channel using a splitter.

All these light require me to connect two servo plugs to turn on.

I happen to have all this free power, because I opted to use the BEC to run both the winch and the servo at 7.4v.

Disclaimer-all leds have resistors in them to handle 5v power, except the whites(blue will also) which can handle 5v, the rest of them want 3v.(yellow, red and orange)
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawler wiring advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some bec wiring and voltage advice please look and help me out ssdub33 Electronics 0 01-27-2014 01:25 PM
wiring a rooster crawler 69cooter Electronics 0 01-12-2011 06:21 PM
I Need Some Wiring Advice... Airmaxx23 Electronics 3 12-16-2010 02:10 PM
wiring a moa crawler nitroxr Newbie General 2 06-07-2010 04:04 PM
Wiring HD A/V Advice Robb Chit Chat 10 09-16-2008 09:42 PM