Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR, Mamba Micro X, Max Pro, or other?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2016, 02:28 AM   #1

Default Tekin FXR, Mamba Micro X, Max Pro, or other?

Building up a new rig, and deciding on some electronics. We have a new Mamba Micro X in the shop that i could pick up cheap. Or I can snag a new FXR....

The Micro X i think in the long run could be better since it can do brushed or brushless, while the FXR is brushed only.

Or just get the Monster Max Pro.

Going in an SCX10 II....with an external BEC of course.

Thoughts? Opinions? Outbursts?

Thanks all

Last edited by derek1387; 06-17-2016 at 03:13 AM.
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tekin FXR, Mamba Micro X, Max Pro, or other?

It's gonna depend on how heavy the rig is gonna be and what motor. Im using a micro x in a 4.5 pound honcho and in a 8.5 jeep. The honcho has a hh 500 puller motor and does great. The jeep just got a brood regular size 540 brushed motor it's going good but i feel it needs a little more esc. I would say if your keeping it light go with the micro if not go to the mmp.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #3

I'd personally choose Tekin over Castle all day everyday.

What motor and battery are you running?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

Havent settled on battery yet. Thinking a 2200ish 3S.

As for motoer, i have a Tekin 35T and a Holmes 35T brushed motor.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If brushless is even a consideration for the future then go with the Holmes BLE or Mamba Max Pro. They will give you the flexibility to go with any motor/battery combination in the future while the Mamba Micro has its limits. The SCX10 II also has a ton of room for the ESC so the smaller size of the Micro shouldn't be a significant factor in the decision.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
Havent settled on battery yet. Thinking a 2200ish 3S.

As for motoer, i have a Tekin 35T and a Holmes 35T brushed motor.
Then the Tekin will work no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
If brushless is even a consideration for the future then go with the Holmes BLE or Mamba Max Pro. They will give you the flexibility to go with any motor/battery combination in the future while the Mamba Micro has its limits. The SCX10 II also has a ton of room for the ESC so the smaller size of the Micro shouldn't be a significant factor in the decision.
I disagree with that thinking completely. You don't want a massive ESC on a crawler when a tiny one will do the job. The larger ESC wastes real estate and adds weight that you don't need to carry around.

You don't tune your suspension for what the truck might become. You tune it for what it is now. The same should apply with the ESC.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I disagree with that thinking completely. You don't want a massive ESC on a crawler when a tiny one will do the job. The larger ESC wastes real estate and adds weight that you don't need to carry around.

You don't tune your suspension for what the truck might become. You tune it for what it is now. The same should apply with the ESC.
You know the weight difference is about an ounce between a FXR with wires and a Holmes BLE right? The SCX10 II isn't a sub-4lb comp crawler where every ounce matters. Going overkill on the power handling capabilities of an ESC is never a problem if you have the option. There are also much more effective ways of reducing weight than running a small ESC as well.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #8

So in this case...should i even think about the Micro X? Or go between the FXR and the Max Pro?
Old 06-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've got an FXR and really happy with it, plenty smooth, handles 3s easy.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
You know the weight difference is about an ounce between a FXR with wires and a Holmes BLE right? The SCX10 II isn't a sub-4lb comp crawler where every ounce matters. Going overkill on the power handling capabilities of an ESC is never a problem if you have the option. There are also much more effective ways of reducing weight than running a small ESC as well.
I believe the difference is larger than an ounce. Tekin claims 0.63 ounces and Holmes claims 2.6 ounces. That's makes the Tekin almost 2 ounces lighter. Even so, let's assume the difference is one ounce. You realize that is a significant amount of weight on a crawler especially when it's put up high, right?

Quote:
So in this case...should i even think about the Micro X? Or go between the FXR and the Max Pro?
No need to get the Max Pro. Either the Micro X or Tekin FXR will work. But again, I'd choose Tekin over Castle all day every day. The Tekin is tiny, doesn't require a fan, has bullet proof reliability, and the throttle is smooth as butter. And if you ever need Tekin customer service they are amazing.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I believe the difference is larger than an ounce. Tekin claims 0.63 ounces and Holmes claims 2.6 ounces. That's makes the Tekin almost 2 ounces lighter. Even so, let's assume the difference is one ounce. You realize that is a significant amount of weight on a crawler especially when it's put up high, right?
The FXR weight is out of the package so once you add wire, plugs, and the cap it ends up around and ounce. Is anyone really concerning themselves over an ounce on a SCX10 when the chassis is designed to have a huge battery strapped in up high?
Old 06-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

to weigh in on the conversation - so to speak - I got myself a mamba micro x and fxr - one thing to remember with these are you'll need to add a BEC. I believe the brxl (and ble?) have stronger internal BECs than the castle versions? So an external BEC may not be required. The MMP wtih fan etc - is the largest esc out of the bunch. In the end, I decided to buy a mamba monster x (which doesnt need a BEC and can be had for 100-125 so similar price to MMP/BRXL/BLEs) - to power my yeti and migrate the MMP w/bec from my yeti for my scaler. However, the micro x is really nice in terms of size since as there is no large cap that needs to be installed and is brushless capable too- so I would prefer it to the fxr since you would need a BEC with both anyways. Not sure about the smoothness in terms of brushed performance between the two though.
littlebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Both castle, tekin, or hh are smooth. One big reason i run castle is cheap, easy and it works. Bonus on being able to adjust hh with the castle link too. Your not gonna go wrong with any of them as long as you buy one that can handle your needs.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Then the Tekin will work no problem.

I would be on the opposite end, it is always smarter to have more than enough esc. More flexible for future installs, cooler running on long outings, more efficient power all around.

All the choices listed are excellent. I'll be running a brxl in the scx 10 ii first, then a ble or mamba monster x.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I would be on the opposite end, it is always smarter to have more than enough esc. More flexible for future installs, cooler running on long outings, more efficient power all around.

All the choices listed are excellent. I'll be running a brxl in the scx 10 ii first, then a ble or mamba monster x.
So if i were to go castle, just go over the Mamba Max Pro and jump right into the Monster X?
Old 06-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
So if i were to go castle, just go over the Mamba Max Pro and jump right into the Monster X?
If it fits, the monster x seems like a beast! Should be able to get it new for around 125 from tower with coupons (even more savings if there is their e cash back deals going on). I like the fact that you don't need to solder an external BEC. I just bought one for 100 (new/unused) from the classifieds - still waiting on it to get here but will be interesting to see the size difference to the MMP.
littlebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

If your going heavy or to faster motors sure why not. But if your keeping it light and slower motors the smaller options are better.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I guess I have a different approach. I plan for a build and buy products to suit that build. I keep in mind that you want to keep the components as light weight and as small as possible on a crawler. If I want to upgrade in the future I buy different products and use the take-off items for other builds.

I agree you definitely don't want to undersize the ESC because it will be overworked and burn out. But in this case, either the Castle or or the Tekin will give him years of trouble-free service.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #19
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I've always bought with the intention of reusing electrics. I always have, and still do, steal electrics from rig to rig.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tekin FXR, Mamba Micro X, Max Pro, or other? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mamba Max , Tekin FXR or Tekin FXR PRO? TheHeadHunter Electronics 21 06-21-2012 08:15 AM
mamba max vs tekin fxr James003 Electronics 14 08-13-2010 02:07 AM