Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New high end sensored ESC (crawler friendly)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default New high end sensored ESC (crawler friendly)

Hobbywing has released a new high end sensored esc that seems really good for crawlers. It got lots of programibility, and a high voltage switch bec buildt in. So it will probaly eliminate the need of external bec.
This thing seems really promising.

XeRun XR10 Pro 160a
XeRun XR10 PRO 160A_Car System_HOBBYWING | Welcome to Brushless System Trends -

AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #2

Default Re: New high end sensored ESC (crawler friendly)

HobbyWing makes some of the best ESCs on the planet.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks pretty sweet

Sent From My Galaxy S6 Edge+
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Do you see a price somewhere?
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

200$ on RcMart including shipping
Old 06-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thx
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

That's quite new. A Chinese made, Chinese company selling their esc's for more than American made equivalent. That's pretty sweet for them considering it costs less than half the price to manufacture there. No more cheap China escs, they know they can charge full price and get it
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Wink Re: New high end sensored ESC (crawler friendly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
That's quite new. A Chinese made, Chinese company selling their esc's for more than American made equivalent. That's pretty sweet for them considering it costs less than half the price to manufacture there. No more cheap China escs, they know they can charge full price and get it

Until HobbySing, or HobbyCar, or LobbyWing, or another clone comes out.

For that price I'd rather invest in a Holmes Hobby product.
Chumley54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

What is the world coming too...?

But really, 200 bucks and 2/3s only? Seriously?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Hobbywing esc have in the past been way more reliable than any American made. Hobbywing seems like they are aiming way higher than other Chinese makers. And that is easy to see, the products is very high quality. They are also one of the biggest suppliers for the RTR truck manufacturers. They deliver ESCs for almost all the big names.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
But really, 200 bucks and 2/3s only? Seriously?
If you want 6s capability go for the xr8, no need for whining. It's even 50$ cheaper.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm not aware of all what's on the American market, but to my knowledge there is no equivalent American counterpart, so that argument is pointless.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom View Post
I'm not aware of all what's on the American market, but to my knowledge there is no equivalent American counterpart, so that argument is pointless.
Castle Creations are Made in America - USA and some assembly in Mexico (Which is technically North America).
Chumley54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley54 View Post
Castle Creations are Made in America - USA and some assembly in Mexico (Which is technically North America).
And your point is? Castle dont have any equivalent ESCs
Old 06-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
And your point is? Castle dont have any equivalent ESCs
Yep, and I doubt they will have an equivalent anytime soon.
I'm interested to see if any other companies re-brand this, or come out with their own version to compete against it
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Mamba max pro without logging, mmx with logging in 8th scale, and a third product I can't discuss that is in engineering. They just don't overstate the ratings nearly so much.

I'm sure the hobbywing will pass 1200 amps (guaranteed! ), for a millisecond, with dead shorted motor leads , zero inductance, and infinite power supply. 0.00925 ohms for an entire system at 11.1v is simply not possible. The battery to supply it would be about 100 amp hours just to have low enough resistance. But who has the equipment to test their guarantee anyway? I do, but don't even have to. There isn't a 10th scale motor on the planet that will allow it, there isn't a rc battery on the planet that will supply it. But a company claims it, so it must be used for comparison!

160a "continuous" (guaranteed!) with 12ga wires is also a fantastic spec. That's only 100 watts of waste heat in just the esc wires (0.004 ohms). I'm sure they wouldn't catch fire in 10 minutes Their wire is HALF of the total system resistance if we assume it is possible to burst 1200a.

Compare esc specs with a gallon of salt. They are all bogus, from every company, including mine. The problem with real ratings is that nobody uses them. So I can rate the brxl 80 amps as the market would call it, or 28 amps as my measurements would call it. It performs better than 60 amps controllers, so we are forced to call it 80 to fit in with everyone else's market lie.

I'm sure it is a great esc. But esc ratings are only second in line to maxamps ratings.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Well it seems like you want to end this discussion by going to deep into the matter, this is way more technical then I'm able to continue the discussion. But this is something you can do since you are in the business and on the fabricating technical side of it.
I'm just a regular consumer and the conclusion I can draw from the stated specs form hobbywing and other competitors is that on the spec side this is abowe the competition in performance.
I can also apply my experience as consumer of both hobbywing and American made stuff as Castle, Tekin and Holmes. And that tells me American products are more prone to to have issues. Hobbywing has been very reliable for me, have not had any esc with issues. And I can list 1 Castle XL2, 2 MMP, 2 Tekin FXR, 1 Tekin RS gen2 and 1 BR-XL who all have had issues. So I have tryed both.
And hobbywing seems to go more over to switch mode bec's. Witch don't produce nearly as much heat as a linear bec that almost all American have. Even the cheap 1060 comes in a new version this summer with a better switch mode bec.

And it's good that both Hobbywing and you John strive to make better products. It gives us consumers better products. So no need to go all in defense position just because I'm pointing out that there is some new stuff on the market.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #18

If I was being defensive you would get my destructive testing results too ;) Just making the point about specs on paper compared to real world possibilities. An esc boasting 1200 amp burst raises red flags for me as an educated consumer. If I can't even make it possible on paper, and the wires generate half the heat in this fantasy setup, it makes me wonder if they really have a 33% hardware improvements beyond the spec sheet.

The way the page reads, their new fets are gaining 40 amps continuous because of better heatsinking. With their fantasy 0.009 ohm setup, that is 100 watts more shedding than 120 amps. If they had used 8ga wire too, it would be feasible. Heat rejection is paramount to continous load rating. But they kept 12ga wires and injected 50 more watts of heat into them without an issue? Looks like I need to move to china where the laws of thermodynamics don't apply.

I totally agree that a new choice is awesome for us. I hope the performance matches the sparkle of the spec sheet. But I also hope that consumers don't blindly accept a sparkly spec sheet and throw this new esc into an 8th scale rig expecting the same performance as larger 160a units with appropriate sized wire.

My concern is for the customer that doesn't know any better, not for another new product "in my turf" . I would go nuts worrying about new releases, they will never stop!

Ps, you need an external bec
Old 06-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

I upgraded my TTC truck from a MMP to a MMX, and will never look back.. The Data logging, Built in BEC that powers my HV500 flawlessly, waterproof out of the box, oh and no fan needed being so overkill really makes it a all around winner..

I was pushing my Puller Pro on 4S pulling a fully weighted sled,, ESC was 98* F, Motor was 105*F..
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
I upgraded my TTC truck from a MMP to a MMX, and will never look back.. The Data logging, Built in BEC that powers my HV500 flawlessly, waterproof out of the box, oh and no fan needed being so overkill really makes it a all around winner..
Plus, being able to run up to 6s, cheaper, adjustable drag break on the fly.

WINNER WINNER.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

New high end sensored ESC (crawler friendly) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advantages of high end motor and esc? dubyas1989 Electronics 19 08-22-2016 11:21 PM