Notices

Thread: HiTec 7980 in a Bomber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HiTec 7980 in a Bomber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
aside from the ricey looks ive been wondering about the bluebird brushless helical gear servo. gears look pretty stout.

RC Servos / HV Servos in Taiwan
There are 3 of us running them in our crawlers without issue. They are pretty quick and put out plenty of torque even at 7.4 volts. It's the first servo I haven't gone 100% voltage or more on.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
aside from the ricey looks ive been wondering about the bluebird brushless helical gear servo. gears look pretty stout.

RC Servos / HV Servos in Taiwan
I know they've gone through at least 3 iterations on the gears, the most current looks pretty beefy.

Goodbye battery life though... I noticed a huge decrease in run time going from a 7955 to a 7950 in my C2 truck, I know something that makes that much torque is going to draw a lot of amps!
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

A big block uses more fuel? You don't say!
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I feel your pain burning through expensive servo's. I destroyed several hundred in servo's in my Wraith before stepping up to a 7980. While I couldn't get a 7954 to survive a single pack, and 7950's might go a couple monthes before the "amplifier" died (that's what my warranty slips from Hitec say), the 7980 has been flawless for over two years. It DOES NOT use the same "MK" plastic gear as the lesser 7900 series do. I've stripped out a couple Robitronic's clamping horns and the servo keeps on going.

The only downsides to the 7980 are cost, making it fit in certain vehicles, and it is a smidge slower than a 7950. The upsides are it doesn't break and it doesn't care how bound up the truck is. It will either steer the tires or swing the back of the truck around. Overall it's the best money I've spent on any electronic device ever.

Some of us are just way harder on equipment then others. Typically if something can be broke, I'll break it.

That said, I put a Promoder 420oz/in V2 in my Bomber because it's what I had on hand. It's plenty fast, almost strong enough. After about fifteen hours the output has a bit of gear-lash slop, but it's hanging in there. I have another 7980 NIB for when it decides to crap out because I like to be prepared.

The best way to destroy servos is to smash the horn into obstacles, so if you can tuck the servo in close to the axle so that the drag link is behind the tie rod you'll be doing yourself a favor.

I don't have one, but everyone keeps telling me that Hitec's will last much longer in servo saverless crawlers if you use their programmer to open the deadband a little and actually use the overload protection. This will result in a quieter and cooler running servo which equals longer service life.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
Silence is golden when your ripping up the wilderness with the HH HV500!! Then my buddy comes along with his highpitchtech and all peace is lost.lol
That alone is worth me buying one for each rig. I hate my noisy servos.
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post

I don't have one, but everyone keeps telling me that Hitec's will last much longer in servo saverless crawlers if you use their programmer to open the deadband a little and actually use the overload protection. This will result in a quieter and cooler running servo which equals longer service life.
I would highly suggest spending the money on one...I'm sure you'll be happy with it!! It certainly changed my mind about Hitec servos!

Trail on!
BoilerUp is offline   Reply With Quote

HiTec 7980 in a Bomber? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HItec 7980 lurchy Electronics 5 12-28-2012 06:51 AM
Hitec 7980 lurchy Axial Wraith 1 12-26-2012 08:36 PM
Hitec 7980 help crawlinghulls Electronics 3 12-22-2012 11:44 AM