Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HiTec 7980 in a Bomber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default HiTec 7980 in a Bomber?

Anyone tried running the HiTec 7980 in a bomber? I've got a DWanger on the way, and have only been getting about a month or 2 out of my 7950's before they start exhibiting alot of servo horn wobble followed by non centering resulting from the center support gears mushing out causing alot of run out at the horn.

I'm not really sure what to do about it. I think the main issue might be my steering tie-rod occassionally gets forced up into the bottom of the servo horn stressing the gears.....and eventually and understandably so the gears just lose their tight mesh which then leads to centering issues as well. I've got my truck totally bombproofed except for my servo. I just can't keep these 7950's alive for more than a few months. Any thoughts tips tricks of ideas? I'm on my third 7950, and I absolutely LOVE them I just must be too hard on my truck, although the servo seems to be the last weak link in my entire truck.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HiTec 7980 in a Bomber?

When everything is bomb proof except 1 item keeps failing you either need to reevaluate your choice in brand of replacement parts or your driving style needs some adjustments.

I don't see the 7980 having any result different than the 7950. Try a bluebird b50 or even an sg series savox and you'll likely have a different result. My 1283sg savox gets its ass kicked on my bouncer running xl's and it's still tight as could be.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

420oz-in v3

ProModeler 420oz V2 servo, a real beast - almost totally silent, overbuilt and over-engineered, read the details in their site - $79.99

SHV500 Servo

Alternatively the new SHV500 Holmes Hobbies - will run directly off your 3S LiPo w/out a BEC. $119.99 and are also very silent, 450oz torque. Allows for cleaner wiring!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I had a 7955 and 7950 with similar bad luck. Now I run a Promodeler and a HV500. I love them both and they've been WAY more reliable than the Hitecs. I managed to yank one of the servo wires out of my HV500 so I swapped out for the 7950 while I worked on it. After running the silent, brushless motor servos, the 7950 about drove me crazy with it's buzzing and centering fits. I managed to fix the HH servo but part of me wanted it to stay broke so I could justify getting a SHV500.

If there's one thing I know for sure - I'll never buy another coreless servo, it's brushless for me from now on.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the great replies, I'm suprised to see other suggestions than the 7950 as I thought it was the holy grail of tough servos but I think I'm ready to try something new. Where are you guys sourcing your ProModelers from? There doesn't seem to be alot of stuff about them online.....
Old 07-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
Thanks for all the great replies, I'm suprised to see other suggestions than the 7950 as I thought it was the holy grail of tough servos but I think I'm ready to try something new. Where are you guys sourcing your ProModelers from? There doesn't seem to be alot of stuff about them online.....
The link durok posted is the place for them. There's not a lot of information about them online but there's a few of us who have been testing them out for a while and it's all been good: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
RCC Addict

What in Satan's unholy name are you doing to your servos? I've been using Hitec HS-7955TG servos for steering duties in all of my vehicles that use standard-size servos for years and my oldest one is still going strong. Coincidentally that one is installed in my Wraith, where it's connected to titanium steering links with no servo-saver, and has survived dozens of trips through the local creek and hundreds of "flying descents" off rocks. I have never heard of someone killing a Hitec HS-7955TG except from old age.

If the only problem you have is that you're wearing out the gears, why don't you just replace the gears? You don't have to replace the entire servo, you know. In fact, that's incredibly wasteful.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 07-26-2016 at 09:37 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

One suggestion is the Hitec HPP-21 Plus programmer. There are few different models at different price points, but the HPP-21 allows you to program the 7950 (or any programmable Hitec)using a PC or with the adjustment dial on the programmer module. You can adjust the centering deadband and also set an overload protection function that kicks in at a specified percentage of over current. End point adjustment is also easily setup and tested with this programmer. Setting all of these things up correctly may make a difference in the lifetime of your Hitec.

I recall all 3 of my 7950s being very noisy and not wanting to find center out of the box. After adjusting the deadband with my programmer, they run quiet and much cooler. I can't attest to your driving or the places you're taking your truck, but I can say this may help you. I know it sucks having to spend a little more money to ultimately save money... You must be pretty hard on your rig if you're going through 7950s that quickly...

Good luck!
BoilerUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
What in Satan's unholy name are you doing to your servos? I've been using Hitec HS-7955TG servos for steering duties in all of my vehicles that use standard-size servos for years and my oldest one is still going strong. Coincidentally that one is installed in my Wraith, where it's connected to titanium steering links with no servo-saver, and has survived dozens of trips through the local creek and hundreds of "flying descents" off rocks. I have never heard of someone killing a Hitec HS-7955TG except from old age.

If the only problem you have is that you're wearing out the gears, why don't you just replace the gears? You don't have to replace the entire servo, you know. In fact, that's incredibly wasteful.
About the gearsets, I have flipped the bad gears 180 degrees and continue to use them this way until the entire center gear mushes out. So on each servo I run them till the gears fail, then I flip the suspect gear, and do it over again. I did this on my first servo then sent back to Hitec, while waiting for that one I ordered another one, ran it and mushed the gears out on it on each side as well, got the warranteed one back in there and rinse and repeat. I'm not bashing Hitec, I LOVE their 7950's and their customer service but I'm trying like WhiteTrash said, to change something up to try and see if I can fix this weak link in my rig.

To try and answer what I'm doing to do such a thing to my servos; I live extremely close to one of the most amazing RC crawling/hill climbing/trailing spots in the MidWest, and because of that I'm pretty sure my RC has more time on it than most couple that with the terrain it gets run on and being setup with 4s on a HH BL motor, and it all kind of leads to awesomeness, except for my servos. I've blown my rig to pieces multiple times and i've finally gotten it to where now rarely anything breaks except for my servo. My truck on average probably sees 6 to 8 hours of use a week mainly because my baby thinks the greatest thing on the planet is to ride in a baby backpack while we hike about running the RC

Yes I agree with you that buying new servos because the gears or in my case gear, goes bad is in fact wasteful. I'm just looking for some tougher options. All three instances, my servo's have exhibited nearly the exact same parts failures; except in one isntance a bearing shim thing also disintegrated.

I'm running Currie F9's with SSD c-hubs and knuckles. I haven't looked into if there are any behind the axle steering setups for this or any way to mount the servo behind the axle tube. I prefer the servo on the axle for weight down low and I don't think I see the point of me trying to fab up a panhard kit to run cms as I think that would just add unsprung weight that I don't really want. Anyhow thanks again guys.....think I'm leaning for a ProModeler unless JRH thinks he can make his new Servo run straight off 4s so I can ditch the BEC hehehehehe
Old 07-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I think in your case I would start looking into 1:8 or even 1:5-scale servos, space permitting. It sounds like that's the only thing that will give you the durability you're looking for. The size of the gear teeth in 1:10-scale servos is limited by the physical size of the servo case and the need to have a precision-fit between the meshing gears.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:04 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I did the hitech thing.. now I run HH sv500 in all the crawlers. My 7954SH didn't make it a full day in a bomber with 2.2 growlers. Club buddy had a 7980 and it died in 3 days with a bomber. The 7980's have 1 plastic gear in them, making it a weak point and at 49.99 a gear set for the servo, he ditched the servo.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque87 View Post
I did the hitech thing.. now I run HH sv500 in all the crawlers. My 7954SH didn't make it a full day in a bomber with 2.2 growlers. Club buddy had a 7980 and it died in 3 days with a bomber. The 7980's have 1 plastic gear in them, making it a weak point and at 49.99 a gear set for the servo, he ditched the servo.
Oddly I have never had the plastic gear fail. Broke a gear pin once busted a bearing shim thing and bent up the center gears steel teeth multiple times. Go figure no problems with plastic.....
Old 07-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Silence is golden when your ripping up the wilderness with the HH HV500!! Then my buddy comes along with his highpitchtech and all peace is lost.lol
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ive posted this before, I've seen much better luck with the noise on my 7950 by reprogramming the dead band to 4 from 1.
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque87 View Post
Let me set you straight on the gear thing. There is an MK gear (plastic mated with metal) in all the Hitec servos. They are a fail safe for the servo. They cost 5 dollars from 3 of them. Easy to replace, no need to remove the whole gear set. They 7954 has one, 7950 has one and so on. They prevent catastrophic failure in the gear sets. I've replaced one, took 5 mins. I do have a Hv500 servo, love it. Again programming the deadband should help with servo noise on your hitec servos
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
Silence is golden when your ripping up the wilderness with the HH HV500!! Then my buddy comes along with his highpitchtech and all peace is lost.lol
So I'm guessing your motor and drivetrain are also silent? I dunno about you, but I don't hear a thing from my servo over the sound of the steel transmission gears and diff gears, not to mention the sound of the nearby creek.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechewmaster View Post
Let me set you straight on the gear thing. There is an MK gear (plastic mated with metal) in all the Hitec servos. They are a fail safe for the servo. They cost 5 dollars from 3 of them. Easy to replace, no need to remove the whole gear set. They 7954 has one, 7950 has one and so on. They prevent catastrophic failure in the gear sets. I've replaced one, took 5 mins. I do have a Hv500 servo, love it. Again programming the deadband should help with servo noise on your hitec servos
What's the part number for that? I should get some, because I have a ton of 7955s in service.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
So I'm guessing your motor and drivetrain are also silent? I dunno about you, but I don't hear a thing from my servo over the sound of the steel transmission gears and diff gears, not to mention the sound of the nearby creek.
Yep. I do clean and lube my rigs a lot because we have a lot of sand in the dirt being near the beach. Only noise I really here on my bomber comes from the MMX beeps which are getting turned off
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Mine are thoroughly greased and oiled too, but the straight-cut gears still make a racket.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #20

aside from the ricey looks ive been wondering about the bluebird brushless helical gear servo. gears look pretty stout.

RC Servos / HV Servos in Taiwan
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote

HiTec 7980 in a Bomber? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HItec 7980 lurchy Electronics 5 12-28-2012 06:51 AM
Hitec 7980 lurchy Axial Wraith 1 12-26-2012 08:36 PM
Hitec 7980 help crawlinghulls Electronics 3 12-22-2012 11:44 AM