Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What motor/esc for a build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Default What motor/esc for a build

Hey everyone,

I just picked up the new scx-10 II kit, I'm having trouble deciding what motor/esc combo, I don't have a want or need to go fast, I have an E-maxx for that. I'm strictly looking for a crawling motor I was looking at tekin roc 412 for a brushless option, possibly with the Timbuk2 esc by Team Novak but still not sure. What would be brushed alternative or a better brushless combo? Is there any water proof options?

Thanks can't wait to hear back
RockyTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What motor/esc for a build

Holmes Hobbies brxl and a crawler master 13t.

149 r/c worx team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Team Novak is out of business. I wouldn't buy any of their products unless you're going as cheap as possible and getting their closeout prices and are aware that you are not getting cutting-edge products any longer - or any support.

There are many better choices out there for the ESC. The Roc412 Tekin is an excellent motor, however!

Going all Holmes Hobbies is the preferred route of many in the crawler world. They have an excellent line of brushed and brushless ESCs and motors.

Castle Creations makes many ESCs that will allow use with brushed and brushless motors - good stuff there, too.

Nothing wrong with a Tekin ESC, either.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

When you say all homles hobbies are you talking about the trailmaster pro 2700kv and the trail master ble pro esc, I really like that it comes won't a waterproof option, does it have any tuning ability and if I'm still looking For a tekin esc for the tekin roc 412 what would you recommend?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I run the Tekin 412-3100 in my SCX10 along with a Tekin RS. More than enough power for this size model, and excellent efficiency. I would highly recommend this combo for a no fuss no maintenance setup. The RS is small enough to stick in the receiver box and have a totally waterproof machine also
dyecocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

And the 13t Holmes motor is out stock but I do the like esc you offered as well snapon boy. I like the price a lot better
Old 09-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Holmes BRXL and a 27t Torque Mater is what I run and it's amazing on 3s
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #8

With the tekin rs gen2 esc can you use an iPhone to tune on the trail?
Old 09-18-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

They use a product called the Tekin Hotwire, looking here:

Tekin - HotWire 2.0 Programming Device

It's Windows / Android compatible using USB connectors only.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #10

Alright so I think I have it narrowed down between the Holmes hobbies brushless trail master pro 2700kv and Holmes hobbies trail master ble pro esc or tekin roc 412 paired up with the tekin rs gen 2 esc

What do you guys think of these? I like the Holmes hobby because it has a waterproof option. I have my mind pretty made up on these set ups unless they are not that good

Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

There both good I'm partial to Holmes. I love the ble it's very programmable via Castle link

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 09-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Holmes because you can buy it water proofed.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #13

You say with the castle I can program the BLE. Is that with an android and Windows thing only? Just wondering about tuning on the trail. I like the BLE cause it is waterproof, if I get the trailmaster brushless motor will my rig be waterproof? I like the price on the Holmes items a lot better then the tekin
Old 09-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The Castle USB link is Windows only. They do make a Field Link:

Castle Creations | Field Link

That can be used without a computer - but updating it will require a Windows PC at home.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #15

Well I'm really leaning towards the Holmes set-up. Is it fairly durable and can it handle a good beating, I just don't want to do a build and then be installing a new motor a couple weeks later because something went wrong or I'm not happy with the performance. That's my only concern with the Holmes set up
Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #16

I've just built a Bomber with a 4 pole brushless sensored motor. While it wasn't a Tekin combo, I've found this setup to be perfect for rock racing, fast trail, slow crawling and anything in between.

I will start a SCX10 II built in few days, and decided to go the brushed way. I'm not running in any water, and will mainly do slow trailing and rock crawling. No racing or jumping like I use to do with the bomber. That being said, I just couldn't justify the expense of a brushless setup. I've also leaned the brushed setup way because of the possibility to replace a defective motor or esc on the trail with cheap Chinese components in the event of a breakdown. I've chosen the Tekin FX-R paired to a Tekin T40 hand wound motor. I will be using a Spektrum micro receiver with a glitch buster capacitor. I've chosen a Savox SA-1283-SG servo (.13s / 416.6oz @6.0v) to power the steering. All the wires, esc, receiver and capacitor will fit without much efforts in the radio box. Power wires and motor leads will exit the radio box going thru servo grommets. Those grommets are the perfect size for a Reedy 16AWG cable. I will let a servo extension out of the silicone seal to power the led bar and the headlights. I usually plug the extension on the bind port. That's giving me an easy access if I ever need to re-bind my controller. The four radio box screws will be replaced by m3x12 set screw with Team Durango thumb nuts for ease of access to the esc parameters on the go.

What first sold me to the Tekin combo was the low heat production and the small footprint of their esc. I hope than the scale industry will slowly move toward well placed, reasonably sized fuel cell than can accommodate most esc / receivers / BEC on the market. The Vaterra Ascender was a great example of this attention to details. All electronics, were fitting in the radio box with place to spare. It wasn't a fully waterproof radio box, but was made to offer a great level of protection and lets some air escaping.
Brutus279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTrail View Post
Well I'm really leaning towards the Holmes set-up. Is it fairly durable and can it handle a good beating, I just don't want to do a build and then be installing a new motor a couple weeks later because something went wrong or I'm not happy with the performance. That's my only concern with the Holmes set up

I'll say this, I have specialized in rock crawler motors for a decade now. If they weren't durable enough or didn't have good performance, we wouldn't keep growing. Gone from in my basement to 6 employees, and still growing

I'm always tickled to be in the same conversation with Tekin, they are high quality parts. We are also a distributor for them

I would recommend something around 2200kv brushless or 27t for brushed. perfect for crawling with a bit of wheelspeed.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I use the ble and the trail master 13.5t brushless motor in my 6x6 and It rocks super slow control and wicked way too fast top speed.

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 09-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #19

I have decided I will be going with the Holmes hobby set up for my scx-10 II build, I just have to decide between the 2700kv trailmaster or the 2200kv pullmaster. Haha
I want to thank everyone for there help in me making my decision , I will be ordering in a couple days or 2 weeks at the latest when payday rolls around

Thanks

Rockytrail

What motor/esc for a build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New build need help with motor/esc and stuff. Heckler Axial Wraith 26 07-31-2014 10:14 AM
What should I build with the motor and esc off my summit? swezy207 Electronics 6 11-27-2011 05:33 PM
Help choosing motor/esc for build Ernie W Electronics 19 06-08-2011 03:14 PM
rs10 build-Out Cry dual motor esc set up. CubCadet Pulling Redcat Crawlers 9 12-25-2010 02:51 PM
Sidewinder esc and 5700 motor or Traxxas vxl 3s esc with brushless motor? THE CRAWLER KING Newbie General 6 08-22-2010 07:10 AM