Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Arming Holmes Hobbies TrainMaster ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Default Arming Holmes Hobbies TrainMaster ESC

This is sort of basic but I'm puzzled why I can't complete the arming sequence between my Trailmaster Pro and FlySky tranmsitter.

I finally set the parameters in the Trailmaster via Castle Link to ensure it's set to brushed motor. Then I went through the arming sequence, which is where I think something is not right:

-- Battery power disconnected
-- Transmitter off

1. Turn on transmitter and while holding it full forward throttle, power on the ESC
2. Wait for lights and beeps to indicate forward throttle set, and now ready for reverse throttle
3. Transmitter set to full reverse
4. Wait for lights and beeps to indicate reverse throttle set, and now ready for neutral throttle
5. Transmitter set to neutral
6. Wait for lights and beeps to indicate neutral set
7. Wait for lights and beeps to indicate ESC is armed.

Performing the above steps all goes well. Without disconnecting or changing anything, I have full power forward and reverse. (Note that the pinion has been removed for all this.)

So, it's done. But, after I disconnect the power and turn off the receiver, and then reconnect the power and turn on the receiver, I'm back in set up mode.

I think I need some advice for the right sequence for turning off transmitter and powering off the ESC, and then turning everything on again so I'm ready to drive.

What's the correct order for powering off and on the transmitter and ESC?

Thanks for any guidance.
Westside Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Arming Holmes Hobbies TrainMaster ESC

Have you used the flysky radio before or is this all new electronics? I had issues with my gt3c and it was due to the radio not being programmed correctly from the prior owner. (I'm 100% positive I got the radio so cheap due to them not realizing the programming was bad and tried to pull one over on me. Jokes on them) Once the radio was baselined the esc settings were easy to get right.

Losikid put up instructions on how to set up the flysky, it involved turning the radio on while the wheel is turned full left lock. I'll dig up the instructions if you need them.

I always turn the radio on first and off last to prevent runaways.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #3

I've been using the FlySky for a while, and I already have another vehicle programmed, so I think it's OK.

I'll be sure to turn radio on first and off last.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

So is the esc just not fully arming? The last beeps it'll make are to signify the cell count. If it doesn't do that and then arm chances are you have channel 2 off just a bit. Try slightly pulling the trigger either forward or back to complete the arming sequence.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

I think it is actually arming, because after I go through the setup sequence, and wait at the end for the neutral position to confirm, I get a few beeps and the ESC lights go out.

Then, when I pull forward throttle, the motor fully engages, full rpm (whatever that may be) and likewise with reverse. So it's armed!

But after I power down and turn off the transmitter, and then turn everything back on again, the ESC is back in setup mode.

I'm fairly sure I'm turning things off or on in an incorrect sequence. I'll try it all again later on and let you know what happens.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

With holmes a holmes esc and flysky radio if you turn the radio off before the esc it will go full throttle. Don't screw that up.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #7

Well, I think I got it. It turns out that when I power up correctly, meaning, turn on radio, then the ESC, it actually takes several seconds for the ESC and transmitter to connect. I'm used to this pairing happening more quickly, but with a smidgen of patience, I got it going.

This is actually an old Traxxas 2.5 gas buggy that I converted to electric, and now it finally works -- and it's fast!

Thanks for all your help!

Tags
arming sequnce, esc calibration help me, transmitter

Arming Holmes Hobbies TrainMaster ESC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4PLS Holmes hobbies esc Mario_Zamudio Axial SCX-10 1 06-10-2016 09:27 PM