Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What the newest cheap servo hotness?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #801
RCC Addict

Default Re: What the newest cheap servo hotness?

Well we know where most of the servos come from....lol
Distribution ,partner, that's cool.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2019, 08:11 PM   #802
I wanna be Dave

Those SPT servos look like they're worth a shot.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #803
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
Well we know where most of the servos come from....lol
Distribution ,partner, that's cool.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
I wounder if thats the same people who holmes hobbies deals with since jx stole his designs
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 AM   #804
Quarry Creeper

Been out of the game for a good 9 months or so, decided to Prime in one of those DS3225. Lets see what its like, will probably be off either a mamba or a 1080 @ 7.4v...this should be ok shouldnt it ?
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:05 AM   #805
Quarry Creeper

I dunno, ive run now 3 of those jx 46kgs servos and havent had any issues with them. Brushless motors quiet. Tons of torque and not a power hog. How could u get any better

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:05 AM   #806
RCC Addict

Installed my CC 10amp BEC yesterday with my DIY bypass harness. Noticed a big power change, but still jittery steering with no load. Don't notice it once it's on the ground tho. Going to try a glitch buster when I get a chance to grab or build one. Other then the jittery steering I love the Turnigy 959v2
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #807
Rock Stacker

Banggood also carries the SPT servos: https://www.banggood.com/search/spt-servo.html?sbc=1 I ordered 4 of the 25KG 210 degree ones. They are made for robots which I didn't notice until after I got them (they have a second pivot point on the back of the case). But they seem good build quality. One thing I didn't see mentioned in pics or discussions is that they have bronze bushings inlaid into the plastic case! Which I think is great because I usually strip gears out when the plastic case holes flex and deform. A bronze bushing should help things stay together. This is the exact one I got: https://www.banggood.com/SPT-Servo-S...r_warehouse=CN
dweano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #808
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweano View Post
Banggood also carries the SPT servos: https://www.banggood.com/search/spt-servo.html?sbc=1 I ordered 4 of the 25KG 210 degree ones. They are made for robots which I didn't notice until after I got them (they have a second pivot point on the back of the case). But they seem good build quality. One thing I didn't see mentioned in pics or discussions is that they have bronze bushings inlaid into the plastic case! Which I think is great because I usually strip gears out when the plastic case holes flex and deform. A bronze bushing should help things stay together. This is the exact one I got: https://www.banggood.com/SPT-Servo-S...r_warehouse=CN
Depending on the use, that servo might give you issues if your radio doesn't have endpoint adjustments.

Here is the 90 degree version.
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #809
Rock Stacker

My radio does have endpoint adjustment so i will be ok. The pictures of the robot ones had the bronze bushings whereas I didn't see any pics of the bronze bushing on the non robot ones. Only other difference is the nub I think
dweano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #810

I like the bronze bushings. Hopefully they incorporate that into some servos that aren't so ungodly slow.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #811
RCC Addict

So Hobbyking is sending me a new replacement for my faulty 959v2. They were extremely helpful and took care of the issue fast. New one should be here on Monday. Ran the jittery Servo on the Trx last night on the course. Thing is definitely more powerful running off the BEC then it was running of the internal BEC in the 1080. I will update once I get the new one installed.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #812
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
So Hobbyking is sending me a new replacement for my faulty 959v2. They were extremely helpful and took care of the issue fast. New one should be here on Monday. Ran the jittery Servo on the Trx last night on the course. Thing is definitely more powerful running off the BEC then it was running of the internal BEC in the 1080. I will update once I get the new one installed.
Good to know, I've got one in my cart but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #813
RCC Addict

As long as everything goes good with the new one. I will recommend it. Definitely all the servo I need in my 9+lb Trx. Big step up from the power HD.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #814
RCC Addict

The 959's failure point is stripping the big/output gear. Total bummer as the speed/torque/price were all on point. I'd put mine back in service if I could find a gear set that fits... I already pulled the stop pin and ran the output gear 180° off, stripped that too. I think I got about 1 month of daily use out of it in a ~7lb 1.9 tire'd Wraith.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #815
RCC Addict

Found these on Taobao 30kg and 40kg brusless waterproof servo USD40

Sent from my vivo 1723 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Teng; 02-08-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #816
RCC Addict

^^ At 8.4v I'm not sure how many esc's will put that out, nor compatible recievers and etc. So at 7.4v, which is till high, it's back down to the level of others, but if it's a power hog it brown-out your system on stall.
This is why we like the DS3218 - works on built in bec's and has sufficient power for all but comp-rigs, and is cheap. Win win win all around.

For something more, plus an external bec, my bet is most will opt for a domestic source for known/proven quality, like HH, Reefs, Promodeler, etc. Rebuild parts, warranty, etc etc. All about $100 give or take.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #817
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Been hearing some failure reports regarding the DS3225 25KG servo - but I just haven't had a rig to try mine in, it's been laying around for months.

I'll also need to get a DS3218 Pro to try out somewhere soon, nice catch!

Still have a v1 SHV500 Holmes Hobbies kickin' tail in my Revolver-powered Bomber - direct powered by 3S.

(Also a ProModeler PM470 that overheated and locked up on me that I keep forgetting to send in for service...)

About to finally test one of those JX BLS-12V7146 (cough...cough... HH SHV500v1 copy) servos that I bought on sale before the story behind them got out, I would not have bought it had I known.

Hopefully it'll steer 1.9" tires while powered by the new 3S balance lead power connector I recently picked up.

My old SHV500 has been using a Gearhead RC inline XT60 connector, interested in this as a possibly more convenient alternative method of tapping directly into the vehicle's 3S LiPo pack.
I was wondering isn’t it possible that Holmes is using China servos with his label? Like the castle esc with other software?
Sjonnie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #818
I wanna be Dave

JohnRobHolmes has explained the provenance of his servos before on this forum, quite openly.

They are NOT simply relabeled Chinese servos with no engineering expertise supplied by him.

So, no - you can't just buy some off-brand identical copy of a HV500 or SHV500.

The JX servo I was speaking of is from a less-than scrupulous vendor that has employees that used to work for a supplier of his that went to another company and copied an OLD design of his, without certain upgrades without which makes it a less-than-reliable purchase.

(this is only how I remember the situation, I may be slightly off in my explanation)

I had bought it before this was made public knowledge, because it seemed like a good deal.

I still have not used it for anything - it may end up installed in my TRX-4, where it only has to deal with 1.9" wheels and tires.

My Bomber is still running fine on a genuine Holmes SHV500 v1 servo.

Last edited by durok; 02-09-2019 at 06:27 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #819
I wanna be Dave

Yup, as I remember it... he designed it... some ex-employee from the factory that he sourced out the manufacturing to took the designs and released the JX 46kg with weakpoints and all of his v1.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #820
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie82 View Post
I was wondering isn’t it possible that Holmes is using China servos with his label? Like the castle esc with other software?
Uh...no. John is doing his own development work. His product is unique, very high quality.
Production is sourced overseas. Same for REEFS RC. Great stuff. I'm sure Promodeler is as well. All good products.
There's a difference when your source your own manufacturing, regardless of where that factory actually is.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

What the newest cheap servo hotness? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some New T1Erc Hotness! rockpayne Chassis and Suspension 75 05-02-2014 06:23 PM
The new bling hotness WHITE-TRASH Axial AX-10 Scorpion 179 08-11-2013 01:34 PM
New Hotness 4xFord Superclass Crawlers 48 10-21-2012 08:29 PM
The Hotness hitman46mod General Crawlers 111 08-20-2011 01:42 PM