Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone using the Hobbywing QUICRun WP 1080 ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #61

Default Re: Anyone using the Hobbywing QUICRun WP 1080 ESC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Well I've gotten a couple runs with it so far and it's great
I edited your quote to make it correct. It's a great ESC regardless of price. There are more expensive ESCs that suck in comparison IMO.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

I now have one in both an RR10 and SCX10 with the same Titan 550 21T's running on 3S and they are shaping up great.

The ESC doesn't seem to even get over 40C in the SCX10 on 3S with the Titan with 23/80 gearing and 1.9s.

The ESC stays very reasonable in the RR10 (say 44C after a 3S run) though motor gets a bit warm in the RR10 with 12/64 gearing on even 2S. Well, only about 55 degrees C thus far but none the less I'm ordering some 10T and 11T pinions to see how this goes. I want 55 C after some hard work and reducing top speed a bit will be ok.

The ESC is smoother than the AE-5 and very responsive. The combo of the Titan and HW is fantastic TBBH. I pulled the HW sensored brushless system out of the SCX10 to put this in and IMO, this is far better (more linear, more responsive and adjustable and just as fast/powerful - probably more power TBH - with instant fwd/rev). Plus it's very water tolerant and far cheaper to replace dead motors. I imagine the ESC is going to be a lot happier when dealing with a shorted/dying motor than a brushless one too.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #63
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmudder View Post
What is the PWM frequency range? And how does changing it affect what happens when you pull the trigger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
I believe it's Pulse Width Modulation, as far as what it does, that's an explanation I'll leave for an electrical engineer.
My understanding is that it can make the "steps" in digital transmission smaller, making things like low speed/low throttle input smoother.

If you've ever noticed a speed control feels "notchy" and not smooth, that would be the cause. Similar to how you'll get a better sound quality out of most analog audio equipment than digital, since what we're basically dealing with in a brushed speed control is a tiny, digital car amplifier. Shorter PWM will be good for a smoother, more analog throttle feel.
ThunderbirdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Well initially when I got the ESC I decided to look that up, which led to an RC Helicopter forum thread: Understanding ESC PWM and Timing settings - HeliFreak

Here's a short explanation from this post:

Quote:
PWM Frequency
Another item to consider when setting up an ESC is the motor PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) frequency. The short explanation of PWM is how much power it sends to the motor with each pulse (how long the window is open for). The higher the PWM frequency, the hotter the ESC usually gets. A good way to calculate a starting PWM is to use the following calculation:

KV x V x Poles/20=PWM
Scorpion 4025-550 on 12S example:
550x44.4x10/20=12210
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdJunkie View Post
OK, I just pulled the trigger on this. It and an RC4WD 35t will be replacing my Tekin RS Gen 2/21.5 combo in my SCX10 II.

This will be my first non-Tekin ESC purchase since like 2009.
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmudder View Post
What is the PWM frequency range? And how does changing it affect what happens when you pull the trigger?
Yes, it's Pulse Width Modulation! Here's a good explanation:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/PWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Well I've gotten a couple runs with it so far and it's great for the price, I'm using it with a Holmes 13T Crawlmaster Expert in my SCX10.2. I will probably get another for the 1.9 Wraith build as well. I really like the small footprint and on-the-go programming though.
Great to hear!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #66

I just got one for the MST-CMX I'm finishing up.

I have two Venom 5000 Mah 20C 3S batteries that I can't use in any of my other cars. They all need 35C or higher.

Will this esc be ok with a 20C 3S battery?
seanoguano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:36 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

That's 100A, dude. Should be enough for a 20 pound Wraith.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

In regards to C rating, it's just a rating that the manufacturer put on it...it has no relation to real life or any other manufacturer...it's a made up thing and most batteries will not pull anywhere near 60C even if they are 60C lipos. See it more as a reference to the manufacturers other packs.

Just try them and see how they go in whatever rig you're running. Don't push them insanely hard to start and built up.

If they get hot, they are not up to the task.

I come from the RC heli world and a 30C lipo can be drained in 3 minutes and not be hot so in an RC car, they really don't get flogged unless you have a CRAZY powerful setup and basically do drag runs over and over 'til they are depleted.

I've been using 30C 3S 2200 packs which is about the equiv of a 12C 5000 3S in a Yeti (at times), an SCX10 and a RR10 Bomber.

Just remember to generally stop discharging at around that 3.78v per cell mark and your packs will last ages and keep a nice healthy IR. Discharging lower wears packs out far quicker.

I have found that packs seem to start generating heat when you start heading under that 3.78 point as they start struggling to deliver the appropriate amperage and the chemical reaction is not occurring as easily. I personally wouldn't use a 2200 30C lipo in a Yeti all the time (I'd use larger packs for the increased amperage) but I mention this as when I have (for testing out changes to the Yeti) I have spent the pack doing burnouts and zooming around flat out and the pack has come out fine. They don't get even warm in a Bomber or SCX10 with a 550 Titan though.

The ESC really won't care what C rating the pack is and will simply try to deliver what the motor asks for (up to what it can consume) and what the battery can supply up until it's thermal limits anyway (this is an excellent ESC and shouldn't have any issues with a normal 1/10 crawler).

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoguano View Post
I just got one for the MST-CMX I'm finishing up.

I have two Venom 5000 Mah 20C 3S batteries that I can't use in any of my other cars. They all need 35C or higher.

Will this esc be ok with a 20C 3S battery?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #69
MODERATOR™

Batteries don't "pull" anything. They supply.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Batteries don't "pull" anything. They supply.
Meant to say 'put out' as naturally a battery supplies...
Old 05-18-2017, 07:12 AM   #71
Rock Stacker

I'm running this in a mostly stock SCX10.2 kit (35t Boost motor, 1080 ESC, 4200 2s, King shocks, PL TSLs on RC4wd steelies, and that's pretty much it), but...

The LVC cuts in too soon. Sure, I'm getting 90+ minutes of runtime, but I'm putting 2900mah into the battery after it hits LVC, and it's at 7.2v.
I'm seriously considering an FXR (or probably going to a CC Mamba X and one of the new sensored motors is more likely) just so I can set the LVC lower.
ThunderbirdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

That sounds about right for 2s...go to 3s and your run time will increase...my run time on the 1080 I have in my Lambo crawler is over 3 hours on 2 2200mah lipos in parallel...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

I have to ask the question of why you want to spend money on an ESC just to try to get the voltage of your lipo lower?

3.6v is far too low already. You'll be damaging it depleting it so far. Just buy another lipo. When a 5000 60C 2S hardpack is only $20, just buy a few.

Some of the ramifications of killing lipos quickly are high IR, less punch/more sag, increased heat during discharge and charging and increased risk of a cell dropping and a lipo fire.

Keep the discharge to say 3.75-3.78 and your lipo will last so much longer and the IR will stay lower for longer. You need to chuck them when it starts climbing and as they are dirt cheap look after them and own a few. Your run times will still be ages and you'll be able to run for like 4 hours straight if you want.

Quote:
I'm running this in a mostly stock SCX10.2 kit (35t Boost motor, 1080 ESC, 4200 2s, King shocks, PL TSLs on RC4wd steelies, and that's pretty much it), but...

The LVC cuts in too soon. Sure, I'm getting 90+ minutes of runtime, but I'm putting 2900mah into the battery after it hits LVC, and it's at 7.2v.
I'm seriously considering an FXR (or probably going to a CC Mamba X and one of the new sensored motors is more likely) just so I can set the LVC lower.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Just disable it completely then plug in and set up a custom LV alarm / cutoff
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #75

I just ordered 2 of the HW wp1080 esc's. it seems that everyone on here that has them loves them. i was looking at the HH trailmaster BLE PRO and i just couldnt make myself hit the checkout button. i found these and decided to give them a go. hopefully everyone is still pleased with theirs?
WNCtrailriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

Extremely pleased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCtrailriders View Post
I just ordered 2 of the HW wp1080 esc's. it seems that everyone on here that has them loves them. i was looking at the HH trailmaster BLE PRO and i just couldnt make myself hit the checkout button. i found these and decided to give them a go. hopefully everyone is still pleased with theirs?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 PM   #77

Looks like these are the ones to get.. and being that all my other rides are running hobbywing... I'm sure I'll be using these as well..

The wifi module does work with these.. yes?
Thrifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:41 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Wifi module?
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #79
Rock Crawler

Would be cool if they do but I doubt it.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
Wifi module?
I doubt it unless they have a universal one that will work with this ESC. That's probably not going to happen though.

It's not a big issue though because the programming port is on the ESC. You don't have to remove the ESC wire from the receiver which is such an awesome feature. HobbyWing has been doing this for a while. Everybody should be following this!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone using the Hobbywing QUICRun WP 1080 ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
QUICRUN WP 1080 brushed ESC (2-3S) With castle Bec Vwsb74 Electronics 14 04-07-2017 10:43 AM
Help me wire HobbyWing QuicRun WP 860 Dual motor ESC with ROCKER DIG II ssh22 Newbie General 0 08-06-2016 05:14 PM
Hobbywing Quicrun 860 Brushed Dual Motor ESC questions 4drmopar Electronics 4 02-13-2016 11:28 AM
Dynamite 60A Brushed ESC or Hobbywing Quicrun WP1060? MaX-D Electronics 1 09-12-2014 11:22 PM