Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #201

Default Re: Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
Yeah St Pete's with EPARCRC. It was a garbage day with the weather but we stuck it out. I came in last in Pro and Sporty but that was because of both my trucks having several mechanical failures. I built both trucks from scratch over the winter and never took either one for any run time until that day. I knew I'd break lots of stuff. I literally never drove either truck before course 1 that day. When the trucks were running I was doing well and so were the rigs.
Get 'em next time. And show the competition the dust of the little ESC that could!
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #202
Quarry Creeper

The 1080 has become my go to ESC in all my new builds. Cheap, reliable, programmable with a small footprint. I run these in 3 of my current rigs and have a 4th to install this week.
Smonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #203
I wanna be Dave

I am running this ESC in my 1.55 Lambo build and was very impressed with its performance the 2 times I have had out to the crawler course. I look forward to running this ESC more in the seeks to come and find out how it stacks up to the AE-5 and the Dynamite ESC's I run in my other crawlers...but so far, if I need another brushed ESC, I will be buying another one of these 1080's
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #204
Rock Crawler

I have three and need another one.
They work great.
Easy install and setup and easy to reprogram.
A+ in my book.
Cant wait to see how it does with a Promodeler 4 at 7.4v
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #205

I luv mine had it upside down in a creek still good to go I like it much better than the ae2 I had before going to order another for the wife's wraith
bigplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #206
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
So I finally ran this ESC in my 2.2 Shafty in a comp last weekend. It held it's own and then some. No issues with servo power set at 7.4v to a Hitec 7955 (being replaced with a 7950 shortly). No issues when running WOT forward and reverse to flip a turtle situation. Got stuck in a couple binds and the ESC stayed really cold. Ambient temp was about 55 and rainy. Overall I'm very happy with its performance and I'll continue to use it in this rig the rest of the season hopefully. Just wanted to check back in. Didn't see too many people trying to run a 2.2 comp truck with this ESC. Seemed like mostly scalers.

Pics for attention...

Have you tried decasing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tjsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #207
RCC Addict

Default Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemon View Post
Cant wait to see how it does with a Promodeler 4 at 7.4v

I've had zero issues with my Holmes HV500's. I run the same setup on my TF2 and my SCX2. Beyond impressed with this little unit!

LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #208
RCC Addict

So at the PL event with this 1080wp ESC....
Flawless.... A cool day cloudy esc is super smooth never went above 65° my HH 550 cold to the touch....9tooth pinion 56spur ....
Drag brake worked well .... Very happy with this ESC, good thing I bought this.....one of the top brushed esc's out there.....
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #209

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the great info on this relatively new esc!!, i've been reading through and its been handy seeing people post their battery voltage when the LVC has kicked in. I'll be testing it when my one arrives. I come from a buggy racing background so i understand a lot of the other settings on the esc like pwm and initial throttle etc. One thing i wanted to ask was with the LVC, on the 1060, it dropped power to the motor to 50% when the pack hit 6.5v then cut out completely at 6.0v. Can anyone confirm the 1080 is doing the same thing? the actual manual states "Sets the voltage at which the ESC lowers or removes power to the motor in order to either keep the battery at a safe minimum voltage (for L iPo batteries" so im hoping it gives you that warning that its about to cut power to the motor completely by dropping power to 50%

Also a lot of what has been stated in here is spot on regarding voltage sag. if the internal resistance of a pack is higher due to age or quality, as you draw power out of it at higher amps the voltage will sag and in the case of 2-3 year old packs, it could easily sag below the voltage cutoff early in the charge and activate it but still not be dangerous as the resting voltage will still be acceptable.

I am actually going to be using this esc for racing using a 540 johnson 27t or sport tuned motor in our vintage racing so i'll probably be running a few different settings to the bulk of you but i hope its ok that i've popped into the thread and i can add any findings i come up with if they will be of any use to you

my initial thought for crawling would be that as most of you have found, the higher PWM smooths out the throttle a bit, its also kinder to your comm so you wont need to cut your comm or replace brushes as often and it'll keep the motor cooler if temps are an issue and better run time. for my racing i'll be using the 3 lower options to find a balance between punch/temp and run time

I'd also be keen to see if anyone knows how the start mode / punch setting actually works, not the result but electronically what is the esc doing to achieve the differing punch levels, is it limiting current or applying an exponential curve to the throttle inputs etc

the other thing i haven't quite got my head around is the freewheeling setting, despite reading the links in here etc, it might be something i just turn on and see what happens

Cheers

Last edited by NOFX; 05-08-2017 at 07:43 PM.
NOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #210
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnyder View Post
Have you tried decasing it

Yeah, I did attempt to de-case it. It's like the whole case is filled with conformal coating and the case really didn't want to separate. I just got another 1080 that's brand new in the box. I might screw with that one now that I have a backup. If I destroy it trying to de-case it then oh well not a big deal. If I get it apart I'll post up pics and info.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:26 AM   #211
Rock Crawler

Other than price, how does this compare to the HH Torquemaster BRXL? I may be able to get a used one around the same price as this Hobbywing.
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
Other than price, how does this compare to the HH Torquemaster BRXL? I may be able to get a used one around the same price as this Hobbywing.
Say no to used electronics. You don't know the history - how many times it's been wet, overheated, etc.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #213
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Say no to used electronics. You don't know the history - how many times it's been wet, overheated, etc.
I appreciate the advice and understand the concern. With that said, how do the two differ?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #214

Quote:
I appreciate the advice and understand the concern. With that said, how do the two differ?

Thanks!
I have no experience with the Holmes BR-XL, but I hate the ESC that it's based on. I'm hard pressed to believe you'd be unhappy with the HobbyWing WP-1080 especially if you don't have the BR-XL to compare it to. Is the BR-XL worth twice the price of the WP 1080? I highly doubt it.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #215
Rock Crawler

For a brushed application it cant be beat for the money.
It comes with a program card for free.
That should be enough to sway you right there.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #216

I have two of these and a third on order. Cant beat the price or quality
kham0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #217
Rock Crawler

I have a MMX in my other rig and have all the castle link stuff. This is for my sons bomber who just burnt up his stock AE-5 using a crawlmaster expert 13t.

With that said, still looking for a comparison between this and BRXL. I understand this is cheaper.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #218
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I've never used the BRXL, however many people (including myself) have not had great luck with it's sibling on which it's based. I have yet to find someone who doesn't *love* the 1080.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #219
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
I've never used the BRXL, however many people (including myself) have not had great luck with it's sibling on which it's based. I have yet to find someone who doesn't *love* the 1080.
What was it's sibling?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #220
Rock Crawler

I have two WP 80s and they are FANTASTIC ESCs. They just work, are water friendly, stay cool on 3S, are really cheap (not just affordable), small and programmable. They also have great low speed resolution, are really responsive and have instant reverse.

All HW have to do is offer a switchable AUX for say drag brake like Castle has done and this will be the defacto brushed ESC for 1/10 brushed setups...that if it's not already. I guess the question is 'why would you buy another brushed ESC with this now available'?
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote

Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone using the Hobbywing QUICRun WP 1080 ESC? CoolRunning Electronics 143 04-28-2020 08:48 AM
QUICRUN WP 1080 brushed ESC (2-3S) With castle Bec Vwsb74 Electronics 14 04-07-2017 10:43 AM
Hobbywing Quicrun 860 Brushed Dual Motor ESC questions 4drmopar Electronics 4 02-13-2016 11:28 AM
Dynamite 60A Brushed ESC or Hobbywing Quicrun WP1060? MaX-D Electronics 1 09-12-2014 11:22 PM