Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

I just received my new Hobbywing QuicRun 1080 in the mail and thought I'd post a few photos for those of you that are curious about this new self-entitled "Game Changer". Let me start out by saying I've owned a few Castle Sidewinder 3's, the stock Vaterra Ascender Dynamite ESC, a Castle Mamba Max Pro, and a Holmes Hobbies BRXL (Waterproof). I bought this unit because I'm hoping I can really avoid a BEC as advertised with its 7.4V capable internal BEC, it's waterproof, it's small, and it's cheap!

I ordered this ESC from Amain Hobbies, where it retails for $41.99.

Features:
- Water-proof and dust-proof, suitable for all weather races.
- Small size, with built-in capacitor module.
- 100% Waterproof
- 15 programmable parameter items
- PWM Frequency: 1K/2K/4K/8K/16K Adjustable
- Freewheeling (DEO) capability
- Drag brake rate in 9 levels (adjustable)
- Electronic switch
- Aluminum case for great heat dissipation
- Great current endurance capability.
- Great built-in BEC output capacity.
- Automatic throttle range calibration, easy to use.
Multiple protections:
- Over Voltage Protection
- Low voltage cut-off protection for battery
- Over-heating protection
- Throttle signal loss protection, and much more

It comes in a nice little package wrapped in plastic

Untouched contents of the box

There's a few cool things in the box, including:
- Programming card
- Decal sheet
- Two sided tape
- Red and black heat shrink tubing
- Instruction Manual (one for ESC, one for Programming Card)
- Two cable ties
- servo extension

The programming card doesn't feel as cheap as I expected (although it's far from premium), and looks fairly simple to use

The ESC itself seems like fairly decent materials were used. The wires are flexible silicone coated, and the on/off switch has a decent length of wires to it for placement

I plan on putting this in my new SCX10 II paired with a Traxxas 550 can 21T motor. I've heard great things and will post updates once I get it installed and running. I'm hoping that it is silent as others have indicated, I can't stand the beep sounds on the sidewinder 3. The Holmes BRXL has silent mode and it is truly a different experience trailing without that annoying sound.

For $42, I'm very happy with my purchase so far. The materials, even on the packaging, have an unexpectedly premium feel and I have high hopes for this nice little unit!

Last edited by LSXGMC; 02-27-2017 at 10:15 PM.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I just received my new Hobbywing QuicRun 1080 in the mail and thought I'd post a few photos for those of you that are curious about this new self-entitled "Game Changer". Let me start out by saying I've owned a few Castle Sidewinder 3's, the stock Vaterra Ascender Dynamite ESC, a Castle Mamba Max Pro, and a Holmes Hobbies BRXL (Waterproof). I bought this unit because I'm hoping I can really avoid a BEC as advertised with its 7.4V capable internal BEC, it's waterproof, it's small, and it's cheap!

I ordered this ESC from Amain Hobbies, where it retails for $41.99

Features:
- Water-proof and dust-proof, suitable for all weather races.
- Small size, with built-in capacitor module.
- 100% Waterproof
- 15 programmable parameter items
- PWM Frequency: 1K/2K/4K/8K/16K Adjustable
Freewheeling (DEO) capability
- Drag brake rate in 9 levels (adjustable)
- Electronic switch
- Aluminum case for great heat dissipation
- Great current endurance capability.
- Great built-in BEC output capacity.
- Automatic throttle range calibration, easy to use.
Multiple protections:
- Over Voltage Protection
- Low voltage cut-off protection for battery
- Over-heating protection
- Throttle signal loss protection, and much more

It comes in a nice little package wrapped in plastic

Untouched contents of the box

There's a few cool things in the box, including:
- Programming card
- Decal sheet
- Two sided tape
- Red and black heat shrink tubing
- Instruction Manual (one for ESC, one for Programming Card)
- Two cable ties

The programming card doesn't feel as cheap as I expected, and looks fairly simple to use

The ESC itself seems like fairly decent materials were used. The wires are flexible silicone coated, and the on/off switch has a decent length of wires to it for placement

I plan on putting this in my new SCX10 II paired with a Traxxas 550 can 21T motor. I've heard great things and will post updates once I get it installed and running. I'm hoping that it is silent as others have indicated, I can't stand the beep sounds on the sidewinder 3. The Holmes BRXL has silent mode and it is truly a different experience trailing without that annoying sound.

For $42, I'm very happy with my purchase so far. The materials, even on he packaging, have an unexpectedly premium feel and I have high hopes for this nice little unit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good write up!
I'm patiently waiting for my 1080 to arrive and pretty much went this route for all the same reasons you stated.
I went with the HH 21t 550 though, couldn't pass it up for $22 shipped on eBay.
Can't wait to hear how it preforms!
akatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thank you for the info. I am ordering one of these after several recommendations I received here. Looks like a well made esc, and I like the power switch has a long lead. Can't wait till I get mine.
Junkk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Good write up.

The only crawler like ESC i owned before this one was my AE-2.
I'm still quite fond of the AE-2, especially when waterproofed but this trumps it in every way.

The only slight complaint i had, is the where the cable for the programming box sits on my ESC, it's a little loose for some reason. If i'm not careful it can move when programming it, and it causes it to crash. Simple reboot fixes it, but can be annoying having to be so delicate.
I may just be unlucky though as i've spoke to some other 1080 users and they didn't experience this issue.

It's not enough of an issue to make me feel annoyed either.
I opted for it as well so i could avoid using a BEC. I'm running a Power HD Servo that's 20Kg @ 6.6v but running it at 6v instead. Tempted to try it at 7.2v though as it's relatively cheap to replace.
With that servo, weighted wheels, a 17x2 motor and 3s lipo it didn't even get warm where i live. Granted it's Scotland and pretty cold but pretty impressed.

More settings than i know what to do with and low end control feels very smooth on it, even with cheapo motors. Build quality feels nice as well, especially for the price.

I do get a small whine as you can hear at the start when crawling but this was with "freewheeling" mode off

Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have 3 of these and love them. A note on the internal BEC. It's rated at 3A, but if you do enough searching, you'll find that it also has a 6A peak. That should work fine with servos that have a 5A stall and not brown out your receiver. How long it can maintain that 6A peak, who knows? I haven't tested that.
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Got it all mounted up. I switched the battery connector over to a Deans style to math the rest of the fleet. I shortened up the motor wires and soldered them directly to the motor to clean it up a bit, and mounted the on/off/programming switch beside the receiver box. It all fits very well and it's small size is VERY noticeable over a SW3 or a BRXL.

I didn't have any issues with the programming wire connection to the ESC, mine fits fairly snug. I still need to hide the wires for the switch into the receiver box to clean it up a little more, but I'm going to wait until my body gets here so I can make sure this is where the switch will go.

I was pretty disappointed to hear the whine/electrical noise when I pulled the throttle. I thought I'd read that this thing was silent on these forums, I must have misunderstood. Pretty bummed about that, but it's not a deal breaker.

For those that might care, the on/off switch is illuminated

It'll be a few weeks before I can drive this truck, but I'm still very satisfied with this purchase so far. Game changer, doubtful, but best bang for the buck, it'll take a lot to prove that one wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 12:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was pretty disappointed to hear the whine/electrical noise when I pulled the throttle. I thought I'd read that this thing was silent on these forums, I must have misunderstood. Pretty bummed about that, but it's not a deal breaker.
That has something to do with the PWM frequency of the ESC and the type of motor. On mine I get that whine when I run a cheap but trusty RC4WD 35t. When I swap in a Holmes Hobbies 13t it is much quieter. Even with the RC4WD motor, it is not as loud as that motor being pushed by the AE-5 esc.
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:32 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowzit View Post
That has something to do with the PWM frequency of the ESC and the type of motor. On mine I get that whine when I run a cheap but trusty RC4WD 35t. When I swap in a Holmes Hobbies 13t it is much quieter. Even with the RC4WD motor, it is not as loud as that motor being pushed by the AE-5 esc.
that good to know there is a setting for that on the box and wonder what it was for.Will have to check mine tomorrow and see if i get that sound and I'm running 17T motor....
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:58 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'm still loving mine, hands down this is the best bang for the buck ESC and I've had zero issues running without an external BEC while pushing a Hitec 7954sh at 7.4v. This is an excellent ESC and "budget" should not be a word used to describe it. I'm currently running it in my heavyish 10.2 with a Holmes Crawlmaster 13t. Never gets warm, smooth control, plenty of tuning options (more than the SV3), I'm a Hobbywing fan now.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:20 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I run dual 1080's in my bully. Great esc

image uploader
UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:52 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ive got one on I'm scx10-2 and its really good!

The only problem I'm having is keeping the power button stuck down to the chassis
J55TTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:37 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have two and one more on the way.
Hobbywing knocked it out of the park with this one.
If you want to stay brushed this is the way to go IMO.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:19 AM   #13

Good write up. I thought about doing the same when I got mine, but I'm lazy.

Best bang for the buck ESC for sure. I really hope this ESC is given a chance by more people by newbies and veterans alike. And I also hope it opens their eyes to the world of HobbyWing.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I hope Hobby Wing starts making more things geared toward the crawling world.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #15
RCC Addict

After seeing all the posts on this esc, I have found my replacement esc for my rtr esc. I like that fact that I don't have to get a bec if I don't have to.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Good write up. I thought about doing the same when I got mine, but I'm lazy.

Best bang for the buck ESC for sure. I really hope this ESC is given a chance by more people by newbies and veterans alike. And I also hope it opens their eyes to the world of HobbyWing.

To be honest, you're probably the reason I bought it lol. I see you vouch for it all the time, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J55TTC View Post
Ive got one on I'm scx10-2 and its really good!

The only problem I'm having is keeping the power button stuck down to the chassis

The key with two sided tape is to make sure you get all the oils off the plastic from the moulding process with something like Simple Green. Then use a good two sided tape (3M), apply it, and press firmly on it for about 30 seconds so it sets. I used to have trouble too till I found this process and haven't had an issue since.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #18

Quote:
To be honest, you're probably the reason I bought it lol. I see you vouch for it all the time, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
Oh no! That's too much pressure.

Just kidding. I'm glad you tried it and even more glad that you actually like it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #19
RCC Addict

has any body tried the PWM frequency settings or just left in factory setting like i did...
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
has any body tried the PWM frequency settings or just left in factory setting like i did...
Was wondering the same thing myself. It's a little too technical for me to understand.

Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone using the Hobbywing QUICRun WP 1080 ESC? CoolRunning Electronics 143 04-28-2020 08:48 AM
QUICRUN WP 1080 brushed ESC (2-3S) With castle Bec Vwsb74 Electronics 14 04-07-2017 10:43 AM
Hobbywing Quicrun 860 Brushed Dual Motor ESC questions 4drmopar Electronics 4 02-13-2016 11:28 AM
Dynamite 60A Brushed ESC or Hobbywing Quicrun WP1060? MaX-D Electronics 1 09-12-2014 11:22 PM