Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Firmware V2.02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #41

Default Re: Mamba Firmware V2.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
Awesome! Was hoping for the ability to switch between crawler and rock racing brake via Aux wire.

I never figured out how to use the aux wire though - what mode should my DX4S be in for that channel? 2P, 3P or Linear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Linear should give you the ability to proportionally add drag brake as your turn the dial.
calcagno45 is correct. If you want to have control over the full range of the drag brake (0%-100%) then you would choose linear. You would have to increase it to its max to get 100% drag brake and then decrease it to reduce the drag brake and trigger the switch between Rock Race/Crawl mode; the switch between Rock Race and Crawler mode is set by the Castle Link 'Drag Brake' setting.

If you choose the 2p option it will jump between two predefined positions and would set up on a switch instead of a dial; these positions are changed via the EPA/Travel Adjust values for the aux channel.

So if you want one position to be Crawler Mode with 100% drag brake you would need a 1.9ms+ signal for that mode.

The other position would need to be below the threshold for switching between Rock Race/Crawler; this is affected by the 'Drag Brake' setting within the Castle Link. If you wanted 0% drag brake while in Rock Race mode you would need to send a signal on the aux channel below 1.1ms; if you wanted some drag brake in Rock Race mode you would just increase the ms signal.

Just make sure the Drag Brake setting on the Castle Link is set higher than the drag brake you want in Rock Race mode. IE if you want 40% drag brake in Rock Race mode, then the Castle Link Drag brake would need to be set higher than 40%; this would require a ~1.4ms signal. If the drag brake setting in the Castle Link is set lower than the drag brake you want in Rock Race, it will switch to Crawler mode when the aux wire drag brake is above Castle Link drag brake.

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations

Last edited by Thomas Porfert; 03-15-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Thomas Porfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

Works great for me!
Rock race mode is set with zero drag brake as I find drag brake dips the nose while jumping. My usual normal brake setting of 50% is great for bashing so rock race works as I previously had things set.

I have 3 position switch for drag brake, as soon as I activate drag brake the trigger gives instant reverse. Ive yet to try the "no roll back" when transitioning from drag brake to slow forward on a steep climb.

Crawler mode really is for crawling now with total control. Rock race just behaves like a normal RC buggy should.

Seems great to me

Edit, I needed to set end points on 3 position channel 3 to 105% to get into rock race mode otherwise it was always in crawler.

Last edited by SkiSteve; 03-15-2017 at 07:07 PM.
SkiSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

I mentioned earlier that the Puller Pro XL is noisier after the firmware update. Here is a video.
We do love the update except for the noise. We have our Futaba 4PLs setup with DT3 on the 3rd channel (Aux cable for the ESC). Each click of the DT3 button moves the drag brake 10%. Once we get passed 50% drag brake the ESC goes to Crawler mode.

Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
I mentioned earlier that the Puller Pro XL is noisier after the firmware update. Here is a video.
We do love the update except for the noise. We have our Futaba 4PLs setup with DT3 on the 3rd channel (Aux cable for the ESC). Each click of the DT3 button moves the drag brake 10%. Once we get passed 50% drag brake the ESC goes to Crawler mode.
Same here the start up is smooooth bit the sound it makes sounds like a alian space ship from the 70s tv shows
Love the update not the alian sound

now that i think about it i want a allian head for my driver lol
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

I have no problem with the sound tho I agree it does make more than it used to. Maybe its because I'm coming from a brushed motor with dynamite ESC that friggin howled constantly at any speed.

On the plus side it makes total sense that when the drag brake is enabled sufficiently to crawl sensibly you have instant reverse. It provides much better control
Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Please excuse this thread hijack, but is it currently possible to trade-in my MMP to a MMX (not the MX)? And how much extra would I need to pay for the upgrade? Thanks.
maverick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:48 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Default Mamba Firmware V2.02

See post 16

Upgrade to the Monster X, don't think that's an option

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick67 View Post
Please excuse this thread hijack, but is it currently possible to trade-in my MMP to a MMX (not the MX)? And how much extra would I need to pay for the upgrade? Thanks.
Not at this time. There is a 6-month old on new products before they can be traded in for an old ESC; The Mamba X should be available for trade-in some time in May or early June.

If we run out of Mamba Max Pros before that time then we will have to start using the Mamba X.

You could send in a Max Pro for a Monster X, it has been out over a year, for $95 + return shipping ($5 US, $7 Canada, $15 all other international).

When the Mamba X is available for trade-in it will be $91 + return shipping.

Edit: Just realized you said MMX for Mamba Monster X. So yea, you could send in a Max Pro and get a Monster X for $95 + shipping. We are backlogged on repairs (6-8 day delay in processing) and are currently out of stock on most ESCs; it could be 3-4 weeks before we could send out a replacement.

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations

Last edited by Thomas Porfert; 03-16-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Thomas Porfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Any one else having the issue not to gain 0% drag break in the new AUX mode. Went out today testing and ist feels like minimum i gain ist round 5% drag break. I'm using Mamba Monster X and unsensored 1410 3800kv. Radio ist an modified gt3b. It worked before the update in drag break mode. No changes to radio settings. Couldn't test drag break mode, need a new bulkhead head. Log is showing AUX 0 to 100. Or could there bei something else wrong? Still a newbee.

sent by magic_yeti
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #50
Rock Stacker

Got a proper test of this tonight with about an hours driving on all terrain running the MX. For me it's a huge hit and gives far better control than previously. I run the twin hammers and rock race mode is perfect for bashing. One flick of channel 3 into low gear and channel 4 to activate drag brake and crawler mode and I'm crawling steep climbs with absolute control.

There is loads of slow speed resolution and I confirm not a hint of roll back on a climb when transitioning from drag brake to forward, it's like the hand brake gets released perfectly every time.

I have found my perfect set up. Oh and I still don't care about the sound, outside I hardly noticed.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

I'm still confused on how to set up rock race/crawler mode.

Is there a way I can set up predetermined amounts of drag brake and just flip through the modes? I.e turn my dx4c thumb button into a 2 position, and be able to chose rock race 10% drag brake and flip the switch and have crawler with 100% drag brake?

And also, for my scx10, how do I program the esc to make 10% adjustments to drag brake? It seems like my drag brake is adjusting at 1% increments because I have to hold the button for a few seconds to get motionless adjustment.
cinnabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Is there a way I can set up predetermined amounts of drag brake and just flip through the modes? I.e turn my dx4c thumb button into a 2 position, and be able to chose rock race 10% drag brake and flip the switch and have crawler with 100% drag brake?

And also, for my scx10, how do I program the esc to make 10% adjustments to drag brake? It seems like my drag brake is adjusting at 1% increments because I have to hold the button for a few seconds to get motionless adjustment.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

I lost almost all my reverse power and my preset throttle curves disappeared. Couldn't figure out how to set the % either cinnabun
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabun View Post

To set a predetermined setting, you need to use EPA on the radio to set it where you want it to be for each mode. The drag brake setting in castle link is just the point that it transitions between the modes. When setting the EPA, the datalogs will tell you the exact value that it was reading.

To make it jump by 10% you would have to check your radio's manual. I know my 4PKR-S has an option that makes every button press go by a set percentage instead of 1%. The drag brake is scaled by the ESC from 1.1ms=0% to 1.9ms=100%. Most people are going to put this mode on a switch so it is on or off, but they might set it up on a dial or buttons until they get it setup to their liking and set the EPA.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
To set a predetermined setting, you need to use EPA on the radio to set it where you want it to be for each mode. The drag brake setting in castle link is just the point that it transitions between the modes. When setting the EPA, the datalogs will tell you the exact value that it was reading.

To make it jump by 10% you would have to check your radio's manual. I know my 4PKR-S has an option that makes every button press go by a set percentage instead of 1%. The drag brake is scaled by the ESC from 1.1ms=0% to 1.9ms=100%. Most people are going to put this mode on a switch so it is on or off, but they might set it up on a dial or buttons until they get it setup to their liking and set the EPA.

I guess I'm not completely understanding how the rock race/crawler mode switches between the 2 modes.. maybe once I update the software and play around with it I would understand. Would be nice to somehow set it so when in 1st gear using ch3, I can select with ch4 using the aux wire a preset crawler mode (instant reverse, 100% drag brake) and when when selecting 2nd gear I could simply click the ch4 button to switch to rock race and have f/b/r and 10% drag brake..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I guess I'm not completely understanding how the rock race/crawler mode switches between the 2 modes.. maybe once I update the software and play around with it I would understand. Would be nice to somehow set it so when in 1st gear using ch3, I can select with ch4 using the aux wire a preset crawler mode (instant reverse, 100% drag brake) and when when selecting 2nd gear I could simply click the ch4 button to switch to rock race and have f/b/r and 10% drag brake..
What kind of radio are you using?

You can probably accomplish combining crawl/rock race mode with the transmission shifting through mixing channels 3 & 4 in the settings of most mid-range radios.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
What kind of radio are you using?

You can probably accomplish combining crawl/rock race mode with the transmission shifting through mixing channels 3 & 4 in the settings of most mid-range radios.
I have a dx4c and a futaba 4pls. Either radio can be used.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Read up on programmable mixing in the manual for the 4PLS (I read a Futaba manual more recently than a Spektrum one so I'm a little more familiar with those functions). Channel 3 as the shifter would be set as the master channel and channel 4 for the ESC settings would be the slave. From there, it should be tweaking the mixing settings to get it where you want.

The same could probably be done with the DX4C but I'm not positive.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
We did most of our testing with the 4pls. We set the 3 position switch and the dial to channel 3 so we could do quick moves or fine positioning. I prefer it for this the to dx4c because it has the display on screen what all the channels are set to.

On the dx4c, you can set Aux 1(ch 3) to one of three modes. Lin, 2P, and 3P. Lin will increase or decrease the position by 1% every time you press the button. 2p makes it a 2 position switch based on what you have set in the 'Travel' menu. Press it one way and it goes to one end point, press it the other way and it goes to the other. 3p makes it a 3 position switch, that has a center stopping point that is based on the trim setting for the channel. For rock/race mode, you would probably want to use 2p mode to quickly flip back and forth.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On most radios there is a mixing function that will allow you to change 2 channels from one input. I have a dx4c in front of me and I can activate both channels by setting the Mixing menu to Aux1 > Aux2 with a rate of 100%.

Mamba Firmware V2.02 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
castle firmware update1.46 JesterSpec Axial Yeti 7 12-19-2014 08:33 AM
Sidewinder Micro firmware dextan22 Electronics 6 04-18-2013 02:00 PM
Castle Firmware skid plate Electronics 2 01-11-2011 10:23 AM
Glitching with New Castle Firmware EXW Electronics 16 01-24-2010 07:56 AM