Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Firmware V2.02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Mamba Firmware V2.02

The new firmware isn't hard to setup at all.. literally took me a minute to set it up and have it working exactly as I needed... Being that it is so flexible, with a limited amount of control via channel's, you will need to know your radio system(it can be as simple or complex as you want)... For me in "race mode" I don't want drag brake(in castle link I have to dial 10% Drag/ and on radio side not use any of that 10%). In fact the Holmes XL already has plenty of mechanical brake/ borderline too much... Hate the idea of added heat due to drag brake as well... In "Crawl Mode", I want full drag brake, and instant reverse(simple setup). I use a DL dial on my 4PX to be able to control the EPA of channel 3 on 20 step, however I don't think I'll change it. my "rock racers" aren't used as "Comp Crawlers". The new challenge for Castle is to add an option for "freewheeling" Also I'd like internal bluetooth or wifi for updates! I hate having to tear in my RC's for updates..

As for the added noise, if you think about it, makes perfect sense.... It is applying drag brake, holding brake, applying throttle, letting go of brake.... Think manual transmission from dead stop on a incline without any roll back...

Anyway, Castle, you rule... I am far from brand loyal, I will try any manufacturer, and have. IMHO, there is truly none better. From customer service, to product, to listening to end user. My hats off..

Last edited by Lanky; 03-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
Anyway, Castle, you rule... I am far from brand loyal, I will try any manufacturer, and have. IMHO, there is truly none better. From customer service, to product, to listening to end user. My hats off..
Well said.

Now all we need is android based castle link with bluetooth.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Any Bluetooth........

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #64
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabun View Post
I guess I'm not completely understanding how the rock race/crawler mode switches between the 2 modes.. maybe once I update the software and play around with it I would understand. Would be nice to somehow set it so when in 1st gear using ch3, I can select with ch4 using the aux wire a preset crawler mode (instant reverse, 100% drag brake) and when when selecting 2nd gear I could simply click the ch4 button to switch to rock race and have f/b/r and 10% drag brake..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can do that. I have mine set almost exactly as you want except I have zero drag brake in race mode. I have 4dxc , twin hammers.

My thumb switch shifts gears like normal, so in race mode or crawler mode I can use either gear. The normal castle link drag brake setting is zero % so in race mode I have no drag brake however you can have it at 10% if you want

My channel 4 connected to aux wire is a 3 position switch with high end point set to 100% and low end point set to 105%. The low end point at 105% makes sure the aux wire signal is telling the esc to use less drag brake than the zero set in castle link. It's telling it use less than zero, so obviously it uses zero. This means it stays in race mode when the 3pos switch is set to its lowest position.
When I use the 3pos switch it sets drag brake to 50% which is higher than the zero set in castle link so it switches automatically to crawler mode with instant reverse and 50% drag brake. Another click and it has crawler mode but with 100% db. Both gears are still available on the thumb switch.

With this set up I can simply set drag brake in castle link to 10% if I want, and race mode will have 10% drag brake. When I move my 3pos switch to give 50% drag brake, 50 is greater than 10 and crawler mode will be activated with instant reverse.

For me it works great, why have f/b/r when drag brake is so strong it stops anyway. Rock race crawler mode gives instant reverse when the drag brake is over a certain level that the user has set.

An excellent esc for a rock racer or crawler :-)

Last edited by SkiSteve; 03-17-2017 at 04:18 PM.
SkiSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #65
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSteve View Post
You can do that. I have mine set almost exactly as you want except I have zero drag brake in race mode. I have 4dxc , twin hammers.

My thumb switch shifts gears like normal, so in race mode or crawler mode I can use either gear. The normal castle link drag brake setting is zero % so in race mode I have no drag brake however you can have it at 10% if you want

My channel 4 connected to aux wire is a 3 position switch with high end point set to 100% and low end point set to 105%. The low end point at 105% makes sure the aux wire signal is telling the esc to use less drag brake than the zero set in castle link. It's telling it use less than zero, so obviously it uses zero. This means it stays in race mode when the 3pos switch is set to its lowest position.
When I use the 3pos switch it sets drag brake to 50% which is higher than the zero set in castle link so it switches automatically to crawler mode with instant reverse and 50% drag brake. Another click and it has crawler mode but with 100% db. Both gears are still available on the thumb switch.

With this set up I can simply set drag brake in castle link to 10% if I want, and race mode will have 10% drag brake. When I move my 3pos switch to give 50% drag brake, 50 is greater than 10 and crawler mode will be activated with instant reverse.

For me it works great, why have f/b/r when drag brake is so strong it stops anyway. Rock race crawler mode gives instant reverse when the drag brake is over a certain level that the user has set.

An excellent esc for a rock racer or crawler :-)
Definitely helped.. I'm going to play with my settings here soon.. I'm sure I will be sending you some PMs for assistance. How you have it set up sounds exactly like what I am looking for
cinnabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

I honestly think it will become very clear when you get to it. It really is quite simple. The only thing i wasn't expecting was my 105% EPA but that took about 2 seconds to work out. Probably 101% would get it over the threashold but I haven't tried yet and don't really care, it works great as is.

For you wanting 10% drag in race mode just keep your EPA at 100% and it will work fine
Old 03-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I honestly think it will become very clear when you get to it. It really is quite simple. The only thing i wasn't expecting was my 105% EPA but that took about 2 seconds to work out. Probably 101% would get it over the threashold but I haven't tried yet and don't really care, it works great as is.

For you wanting 10% drag in race mode just keep your EPA at 100% and it will work fine
Yeh I have 2 trucks I'll be programming.. on my scx10.2 with the mamba x and 2 speed, I will want 1st gear to essentially be used for crawler mode with 50-100% drag brake, than 2nd gear to use rock race mode with no drag brake.

On my bomber running the MMX and single speed I would like to have 10% drag brake in rock race mode, 30 or 50% drag brake in rock race mode, than 100% drag brake in crawler mode.. so sounds like I would set the ch3 aux wire to activate crawler mode with a threshold of 51% drag brake and higher.. right?

And I think I'm going to end up using my 4pls since it has the 3 position switch behind the steering wheel
Old 03-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Is anyone using this with a hacked GT3B or GT3C yet? I'm sure it can be setup as it's a pretty flexible radio, just curious how well it's working

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #69
Rock Stacker

Quote:

On my bomber running the MMX and single speed I would like to have 10% drag brake in rock race mode, 30 or 50% drag brake in rock race mode, than 100% drag brake in crawler mode.. so sounds like I would set the ch3 aux wire to activate crawler mode with a threshold of 51% drag brake and higher.. right?

And I think I'm going to end up using my 4pls since it has the 3 position switch behind the steering wheel
Yes crawler is activated when the drag brake called for by the aux wire is greater than that set in castle link. I'm not sure how is easiest with your radio to get the 10, 30, 50, 100% jumps and I haver tried that with mine so I assume it is possible but haven't done it myself
Old 03-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #70
Rock Stacker

Now I think more about this I have a question that relates to cinnabun's.
Previously when aux wire controlled drag brake, the castle link drag brake value was ignored completely unless the aux signal was lost.

Now the castle link value is used, but is it purely a threshold value defining the switch point between modes, or is it the actual value used in race mode? If it's just a threashold, it gives absolute control over drag brake in each mode, but if it's the value used in race then the race mode drag brake is not adjustable on the trail.

I'm happy with my setup and don't have time to fiddle too much at the moment so maybe someone else can help with this one.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Now I think more about this I have a question that relates to cinnabun's.
Previously when aux wire controlled drag brake, the castle link drag brake value was ignored completely unless the aux signal was lost.

Now the castle link value is used, but is it purely a threshold value defining the switch point between modes, or is it the actual value used in race mode? If it's just a threashold, it gives absolute control over drag brake in each mode, but if it's the value used in race then the race mode drag brake is not adjustable on the trail.

I'm happy with my setup and don't have time to fiddle too much at the moment so maybe someone else can help with this one.
Good question.. it would be sweet if I could be in race mode and adjust drag brake between say 0-30% than over 30% would throw me into crawler mode and be adjustable between 31-100%
Old 03-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #72
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Good question.. it would be sweet if I could be in race mode and adjust drag brake between say 0-30% than over 30% would throw me into crawler mode and be adjustable between 31-100%
I believe that's how it works, but since I haven't actually done it I won't make the call and present it as fact
Old 03-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That is correct. The drag brake adjusts 0-100% on the AUX wire and the setting in castle link is the threshold that it changes between the 2 modes.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:07 AM   #74
Rock Stacker

Excellent :-)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Just letting yall know, I did the update on all 3 of MMX I have and I do notice it's louder, which is OK.
I really like this update. Exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you!

One small issue I notice, which happened to 2 of the 3 MMX I have, is, when I turn off the Transmitter, then turn off the ESC switch, the ESC will continue to beep. It would beep like: . . -
which is for Radio Glitch.

I would power the radio and ESC back on and everything would work fine, but it would still beep the . . - even while driving the rig.

Have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to get rid of it.
Just a minor annoyance, but wanted to express my experience so you are aware. But again, this only happened to 2 of the 3.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Not sure if it's coincidence or not but my switch stopped working after the update.. the esc will not turn off using the switch.. Guess I'm soldering the wires together tonight

My favorite thing about the update is the esc now holds drag brake until there is enough power to overcome the drag brake so no more annoying roll back when feathering the throttle
Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Not sure if it's coincidence or not but my switch stopped working after the update.. the esc will not turn off using the switch.. Guess I'm soldering the wires together tonight

My favorite thing about the update is the esc now holds drag brake until there is enough power to overcome the drag brake so no more annoying roll back when feathering the throttle
depending the switch, had same problem if switch or harness got wet, after let it dry it function well again.
Solved it with seal spray (switch) it's not really waterproof like the esc and plasti dip on the harness (had an accident so there where a little isolate failure on a cable)
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Castle says the switch is waterproof.. guess that's not the case
Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Should just be a coincidence. There is nothing in the software that looks at the state of the switch. It enables or disables the power regulator that powers the microprocessor in the ESC.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
Should just be a coincidence. There is nothing in the software that looks at the state of the switch. It enables or disables the power regulator that powers the microprocessor in the ESC.

That's awesome.. a month old speed controller already losing the switch.. I figured castle would have figured out their switches suck by now and done something about it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mamba Firmware V2.02 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
castle firmware update1.46 JesterSpec Axial Yeti 7 12-19-2014 08:33 AM
Sidewinder Micro firmware dextan22 Electronics 6 04-18-2013 02:00 PM
Castle Firmware skid plate Electronics 2 01-11-2011 10:23 AM
Glitching with New Castle Firmware EXW Electronics 16 01-24-2010 07:56 AM