Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New blue castle crawler motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #21
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: New blue castle crawler motors

This is RCC...who cares about ROAR?!?

I need a new motor/ESC soon so these have me interested.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
People say lots of dumb things on the internet...

You had me until you said ROAR keeps shutting you down because your "products are too good for the rest of the racing market." Please explain.
They like their two pole high turn count motors even though it's a fairly terrible design. Our sensored motors are more powerful, less expensive to build, and more efficient. They want to keep the playing field level so they don't let our 1/10th scale motors be approved for racing because they are 4 pole and don't fit their standard design.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
There is currently no 5mm shaft available for these motors. We are looking to offer rotor replacement/motor rebuild kits this summer in both 3.2mm(1/8th) and 5mm shafts for all 14xx motors.

I don't know of any other slate colored motors coming out soon, but internally the design of these motors is identical to the green motors. All that is different is the winding to make them slower. In one of our test cars we have been running a 1410 3800kv that was geared as low as it would go, and it is one of our best trucks because it has so much torque and the gearing works in advantage for drag brake.

What kv were you looking for in the 1410 size? I have been pushing for a 4000kv 1415 motor, but that is for SCT racing, not crawling.
Thanks for your response. I was originally looking to get the 1410 3800 kv one, and I guess then I will probably get that one.
caleb.cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
People say lots of dumb things on the internet...

You had me until you said ROAR keeps shutting you down because your "products are too good for the rest of the racing market." Please explain.
Now I see why a lot of people flame you on this forum

Go to any of ROARs sponsored racing event sites, you will see people with a CASTLE driven Rc. There may not be many, but they are there. Tekin's got a big part of that show...

What do you think "C" means in SCT?

MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
This is RCC...who cares about ROAR?!?

I need a new motor/ESC soon so these have me interested.
Agreed
Old 04-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
They like their two pole high turn count motors even though it's a fairly terrible design. Our sensored motors are more powerful, less expensive to build, and more efficient. They want to keep the playing field level so they don't let our 1/10th scale motors be approved for racing because they are 4 pole and don't fit their standard design.

Well, that has nothing to do with keeping you products from being approved. The rules have been in place for years, long before these motors were released and you failed to design a motor within the guidelines.

Racing motors don't need to be anymore powerful, most can't control them as it is, so they are trying to slow them down in most classes....on top of that, if these are cheaper to build, why are they more expensive still than most 2 pole motors?

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #27

Quote:
It has nothing to do with Castle being "too good" or better than the competition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
Now I see why a lot of people flame you on this forum

Go to any of ROARs sponsored racing event sites, you will see people with a CASTLE driven Rc. There may not be many, but they are there. Tekin's got a big part of that show...

What do you think "C" means in SCT?
Reading comprehension is a lost skill... I never said you won't see Castle on the race track. Go to any club event and you'll find Castle powered vehicles. But Castle is not a race oriented company. That is what I said. Don't believe me? Well then maybe you'll believe the Castle rep on this thread that said "that's news to me" in regards to Castle being a racing oriented company.

The 'C' in 'SCT" means "Course" in Short Course Truck. It does not mean Castle. It does not mean race track. It means the RC is like the 1:1 vehicle from which it gets its name. Nice stretch there to try to convey your argument. It didn't work.

Maybe we can now get back to the topic at hand which is Castle CRAWLING motors. Or are you going to argue that these motors are endorsed by SORCCA because all of those letters are represented in the name "Castle Creations"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
if these are cheaper to build, why are they more expensive still than most 2 pole motors?
Ohh good catch and great question!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:

The 'C' in 'SCT" means "Course" in Short Course Truck. It does not mean Castle. It does not mean race track. It means the RC is like the 1:1 vehicle from which it gets its name. Nice stretch there to try to convey your argument. It didn't work.

Maybe we can now get back to the topic at hand which is Castle CRAWLING motors. Or are you going to argue that these motors are endorsed by SORCCA because all of those letters are represented in the name "Castle Creations"?
I'm done... Yes well aware of what the C means bud, I mean the abbreviation's actual meaning is right there on the picture..
But you know everything so..

Anyway's yes back to the topic at hand, claims are here that its the same exact can as the 1410.. didn't a sensored 1410 just drop for everyone too? If so the differences must be in the windings as stated.

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 04-07-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Could one of these New Slate motors be run by a Micro X ESC in a <5lb rig?
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemon View Post
Could one of these New Slate motors be run by a Micro X ESC in a <5lb rig?
Yes, we are planning on selling most of these motors in combos with both the Micro X and the Mamba X. I think all except the 3800kv will have the option of the Micro X.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
....on top of that, if these are cheaper to build, why are they more expensive still than most 2 pole motors?

Look at 17.5T turn sensored motors on Amain just as an example. 45 different motors offered, 5 are priced cheaper than the sensored Castle motors. Unless you're talking about sensorless and including the eBay motors... And I own a Brood Vigor so not riding CC balls either.
Attached Images

calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I'm running a tekin 17.5(not rpm) and it's priced above the castles.....I think with some customer loyalty, a motor priced right and performs will sell well. I run Castle non sensored motors and cannot complain. I've also always ran the Castle or Holmes sensored esc.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

There are hundreds of sensored brushed motors, sure there are many priced a little higher, but there are a bunch just as cheap or cheaper as well...the point being though, their motor isn't cheaper to produce because of not following the rules compared to one made under ROAR rules.....it's cheaper than some because it's made with cheaper components, cheaper design elements, and cheap labor...

Sorry, I just can't stand the statements to make ROAR look like the bad guy here, especially when it's stated "more powerful"... yes, because we need the cars to more uncontrollable than they already are.....when the pros are saying it's too fast to drive, what's that tell ya?

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Price difference VS 2 pole 17.5 is only somewhat relevant. The motors are used in different applications. There's very little crossover, and anyone who buy's a $60 17.5 is not going to be wining any races anytime soon. Yes they work, yes there almost as fast. Almost as fast doesn't win races.

I've been using MMps since the day they were released. I bought my first one from ihobby before distributors had them. They were a good all around ESC with a crappy BEC. They worked for most non-spec racing, they did not work in spec classes. In 17.5 buggy(non boosted) just replacing a MMp with a tekin rs gained ~0.4s a lap. I still used MMps in everything that wasn't power limited, from mod F1 to 1/8 Ebuggy.

There's also less competition in the sensored 4 pole market vs 17.5 race motors.

What other 4 pole sensored motors are out, there that are offered in low KV options?
Tekin ROC is $139.
Holmes is $129
Castle is $75.
$54 cheaper than the nearest competition is a huge win.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
What other 4 pole sensored motors are out, there that are offered in low KV options?
Tekin ROC is $139.
Holmes is $129
Castle is $75.
$54 cheaper than the nearest competition is a huge win.
$54? Funny because their site says $75.06 each. And even so, do you really expect the Castle motor, at half the price, to be as good as a Brood, Holmes, or Tekin? Time will tell...
Old 04-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
$54? Funny because their site says $75.06 each. And even so, do you really expect the Castle motor, at half the price, to be as good as a Brood, Holmes, or Tekin? Time will tell...
I've never looked at the Brood motors. I expect them to be as good as the holmes and tekin.

Castle has literately never made a crappy motor.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Castle has literately never made a crappy motor.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Show me 1 motor that didn't work for it's intended purpose.

Last edited by whitrzac; 04-08-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Now I know your full of it.
Which one of my castle motors do you need to see ?

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Now I know your full of it.
Which one of my castle motors do you need to see ?

Hang up and Drive
I'm still waiting... All of their motors have worked for their intended purpose...

New blue castle crawler motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Castle Crawler Sensored Brushless Motors - Coming Soon! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-06-2017 12:50 PM
help with castle motors sidehiller Electronics 4 08-29-2012 07:13 PM
Castle Motors metomwhou Electronics 2 02-16-2008 06:16 AM