Thread: New blue castle crawler motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 03:32 AM   #161
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New blue castle crawler motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
Cheers Robert!

The RR is a big, reasonably heavy (by lifting compared to the Axials), fast truck so I'm considering the 1512 2650 ATM. I'll have to measure and ponder as there is a reasonable price difference. I probably need to put the RR on the scales too.

As I mentioned in other posts iv just fitted this motor and will let you know of its power as I have t had a good go with it other than ten mins in the lane on loose flat ground but it seems very capable with lots and lots of power , I checked it for temps and it wasn't even warm but this was on a cool day and a short 10minute run as the rear cup screws sheared of .....again but my ali cups should be here by the end of next week and I'll posts pics of the space remaining to the possibility of fitting the crawler motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #162
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
For a rock rey, I would recommend our 1410 motor. A 1512 motor might fit but I don't have access to a rock rey to know if it does in fact fit. If someone on here has this setup, please let me know.
The 1512 does fit, but depending what pinion you run, will decide if your motor plate/cover needs dremel work.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #163
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
The 1512 does fit, but depending what pinion you run, will decide if your motor plate/cover needs dremel work.
Cool, Thanks for the information.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #164
CTB

I will throw my thoughts in on the Slate Motors, I picked a 1900kv slate and paired it with a HH trailmaster ble-pro esc in my Acender, running a 3s. it is faster than the stock 35t motor, is 10x more responsive on the creep slow speeds, has enough torque that I can now creep up climbs and don't have to give more power for momentum. for me for and the style of crawling i do it is a perfect setup. ran it last night for over an hour and the motor was warm but not too hot to touch.
CTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #165
Quarry Creeper

Anyone know if the slate motors are waterproof?
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #166
I wanna be Dave

Im pretty sure they are but that doesn't mean go submerge it, lol. I would put some sealant around sensor wire or dielectrical grease inside the plug.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #167
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
We don't say waterproof, but it is fine to run in wet conditions. The board is conformal coated, which keeps it from shorting. The sensor connector will glitch when exposed to water, but if you fill it with dielectric grease, it is perfectly fine.

The biggest issue when running in water is the water can wash the oil from the bearings and cause them to wear out. If you fully submerge the motor, open it up, let it dry out, and put some oil back in the bearings.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #168
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
On a trail run I rolled my Wraith down a bank into a stream deep enough that the truck was completely submerged. I retrieved it, put it back on the trail and ran another hour and a half with no issues what so ever. The only thing even close to extra waterproofing I did was to apply dielectric grease to the sensor plugs.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #169
Quarry Creeper

We don't recommend doing this, but it can survive this(with proper preparation):
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbd5S_8lkEf

Last edited by robert@castle; 01-17-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #170
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
The most important thing. It's a motor, it spins forward, it spins backwards. It works for what it was designed to do. It does it while costing almost 50% less than the competition.

Esc: Micro X v2.02
Batts: 2x 2200mah 3s/ 5200mah 4s
Gearing: 10/56 32p
scx102 axles, old style 3 gear trans.

Motors: 2280kv(ran on 3s) and 1400kv pro4(ran on 4s)

I've never been super picky about motor/power setups so this is a bit general.

Overall power is on par with the pro4, although I haven't found a motor lacking power when run on 3s.

Super low end startup seems to be better than the pro4. It's hard to test without hooking the truck up to a ton of weight. When running with sensors nether motor cogs.

It seems quieter than the pro4.

Drag brake is equal to the pro4.

Sensorless operation is slightly worst than the pro4.
Sensors actually stayed working after running the truck through water. The pro4 motor lost the sensors about 20min after first getting wet.

Ran for ~5hrs on 2x2200mah 3s in parelel. Batteries are at 3.77v/cell. Runtime is a non issue.

Side note: Upgrading to an X series esc would be my priority over a new motor. If you have any BL motor on a different ESC spend the $$$ on an X series before a new motor. I am continually amazed a what the 2.02 software can do, even without running sensors.
Sorry to bump an old post but did you run the micro X crawler on 4S...it says on the castle website only to 3s. Was thinking one of these would be great for 4S on a brushed setup with the AUX mode. Was thinking for my GOM as its quite light and has the 2 speed so the AUX mode would be great. I already have a Mamba X and Monster X in other rigs so thought the micro would be try on a budget.
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #171
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildblue77 View Post
Sorry to bump an old post but did you run the micro X crawler on 4S...it says on the castle website only to 3s. Was thinking one of these would be great for 4S on a brushed setup with the AUX mode. Was thinking for my GOM as its quite light and has the 2 speed so the AUX mode would be great. I already have a Mamba X and Monster X in other rigs so thought the micro would be try on a budget.
Micro X is 3s max. Nothing will blow up if you plug it in to 4s, but we have it blocked in software because the BEC components can't take the voltage for very long(Linear BECs get very hot at higher voltages).
Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 AM   #172
Quarry Creeper

Superb, thank you for the swift response. If the BEC was disabled would this then toggle the ability to run more than 3S ?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #173
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildblue77 View Post
Superb, thank you for the swift response. If the BEC was disabled would this then toggle the ability to run more than 3S ?
Our software prevents running on 4s because there is no way to disable the BEC completely. The majority of heat comes from the process of a linear BEC stepping down the voltage instead of from the load. The only way to prevent the heat would be to disconnect the linear regulators from the battery input. To do this would require extra hardware components in the ESC, which would add cost and complexity(plus I don't think we have room on the board for this).

If you want to run 4s, you have to use a Mamba X or Monster X.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #174
Quarry Creeper

Ah superb thank you. Looks like I will have to save for another mamba X then... :-)
Old 05-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #175
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
Have an update to the Micro-X in a wraith with 2280kv motor. Put a 3s Traxxas battery in and snapped one of my steel center driveshafts in under a minute, but I was driving like an idiot.
robert@castle,

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I have a follow up question which is related to your Micro-X in a Wraith test.

How would a Micro-X and 1900 kv slate BL motor combo fare in a 13.5lbs Gelande2 scaler running on 3S?

Driving conditions are low speed technical crawl to "brisk walking next to it" top speed.

Thanks

D
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #176
I wanna be Dave

13.5 lbs!

That's a lot of weight for a Micro-X.

A stock Wraith only weighs 5.5 lbs RTR.

From the Castle Creations site:

"This is the perfect upgrade for 2WD or 4WD vehicles over 1.5 lbs and up to 2.25 lbs. The Mamba Micro X also works well in some 1/10th scale crawlers. "

Now, the Mamba Monster X states:

"This is the perfect upgrade for 1:8 scale buggies, truggies and on-road vehicles as well as 1:10 scale monster trucks weighing up to 15 lbs with our Neu-Castle 1515 2200kv motor."

And the Mamba X falls somewhere in-between... I'd use it for your application.

Last edited by durok; 05-18-2018 at 01:04 PM.
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #177
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by valheru View Post
robert@castle,

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I have a follow up question which is related to your Micro-X in a Wraith test.

How would a Micro-X and 1900 kv slate BL motor combo fare in a 13.5lbs Gelande2 scaler running on 3S?

Driving conditions are low speed technical crawl to "brisk walking next to it" top speed.

Thanks

D

It should do ok. A friends SCX is ~12lbs and runs a 1900kv tenshock 6 pole on the microx without issues.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #178
Rock Crawler

the mirco x crawler edition says its good up to 8lbs.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #179
MSH
Pebble Pounder

On the mamba x with a 1900 on 4s, the bec is totally fine, right?
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #180
I wanna be Dave

The BEC doesn't care what LiPo cell-count you are using.

You can program the built-in Mamba X BEC to deliver the voltage you need:

Quoted directly from their site ~

"Adjustable: 5.5V, 6.0V, 7.5V. or 8.0V (8A Peak), default 5.5V"
durok is online now   Reply With Quote

New blue castle crawler motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Castle Crawler Sensored Brushless Motors - Coming Soon! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-06-2017 12:50 PM
help with castle motors sidehiller Electronics 4 08-29-2012 07:13 PM
Castle Motors metomwhou Electronics 2 02-16-2008 06:16 AM