Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #2

Default Re: New blue castle crawler motors

Yeah...RPP posted them here.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well since the topics up might as well discuss over it... what are your thoughts? What do you think the price point will be? It must be waterproof its blue!?
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I believe the official name is slate
cinnabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

$74.99

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The Castle site has them up too.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a good starting price point, now for a Roc/PP comparison test.. if the hype turns out to be real, I will scoop one up. I have to see some results first. Castle has been a racing oriented motor maker for over 20 years, I just want to see how they take this low speed smoothness thing for go 'round. They have the Esc's for us on lock, now its time to really shine if these turn out worthy... I miss Novak :(

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 04-06-2017 at 05:14 PM.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
Sounds like a good starting price point, now for a Roc/PP comparison test.. if the hype turns out to be real, I will scoop one up. I have to see some results first. Castle has been a racing oriented motor maker for over 20 years, I just want to see how they take this low speed smoothness thing for go 'round. They have the Esc's for us on lock, now its time to really shine if these turn out worthy... I miss Novak :(
I miss Novak because its a rc name I thought would always be around. My old 90's Novak, Trinity and LRP brushed motors and esc's I'll never part with.
Orange peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It's brushless so it isn't what I'd consider a crawler motor but they are probably great basher or trail motors.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
It's brushless so it isn't what I'd consider a crawler motor but they are probably great basher or trail motors.
You'd be surprised. We've had local crawler groups come in and test the motors back to back with brushed motors and said they couldn't notice a difference in feel between the two when running our 2.02 firmware on a Mamba X in both cars.

We had several prototype motors on hand at UTSE and let people try them in their personal rigs, and I have yet to hear a signal negative review from that event. The most common phrase I have heard was 'blown away' or 'shocked'
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:54 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
You'd be surprised. We've had local crawler groups come in and test the motors back to back with brushed motors and said they couldn't notice a difference in feel between the two when running our 2.02 firmware on a Mamba X in both cars.

We had several prototype motors on hand at UTSE and let people try them in their personal rigs, and I have yet to hear a signal negative review from that event. The most common phrase I have heard was 'blown away' or 'shocked'
Maybe, maybe not. I've ran brushless sensored and it did crawl nicely but the lack of drag brake was killer. Yes it stopped but it wouldnt hold on an incline like a brushed motor with standard magnets let alone a GOOD one with cb20t cobalt magnets. It's not the manufacturers fault, it's just the nature of an inside out motor.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:12 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I've ran brushless sensored and it did crawl nicely but the lack of drag brake was killer. Yes it stopped but it wouldnt hold on an incline like a brushed motor with standard magnets let alone a GOOD one with cb20t cobalt magnets. It's not the manufacturers fault, it's just the nature of an inside out motor.
Whatever castle did with the drag brake in the 2.02 software is simply amazing. Before the update the drag brake held, but any slightest throttle input (forward/reverse) would remove drag brake and would cause roll. Now I've noticed even if I feather the throttle, the drag brake holds until the motor torque overcomes the hold on the motor.
cinnabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
Castle is a racing oriented manufacturer? They have been a basher oriented manufacturer, but serious racers do not run sensorless. And they have not had sensored motors until recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabun View Post
Whatever castle did with the drag brake in the 2.02 software is simply amazing. Before the update the drag brake held, but any slightest throttle input (forward/reverse) would remove drag brake and would cause roll. Now I've noticed even if I feather the throttle, the drag brake holds until the motor torque overcomes the hold on the motor.
Do you have one of these blue crawler motors?

These motors are pretty cheap so I'm sure that will make them sell like every other Castle product.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I have been seriously considering getting one of your new sensored motors along with a Mamba X. Since the new blue ones came out, I am now deciding between one of these and one of the green ones. I have two questions. The other sensored motors have an option for a 5mm shaft, which is something that I might want. Do you know if these motors might eventually have that option available? Also, the green motors come in three 1/10 sizes: 1406, 1410, and 1415. Do you think that the new blue motors will eventually have more sizes available, specifically the 1410 size? Thank You!

Last edited by caleb.cole; 04-07-2017 at 06:54 AM.
caleb.cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb.cole View Post
I have been seriously considering getting one of your new sensored motors along with a Mamba X. Since the new blue ones came out, I am now deciding between one of these and one of the green ones. I have two questions. The other sensored motors have an option for a 5mm shaft, which is something that I might want. Do you know if these motors might eventually have that option available? Also, the green motors come in three 1/10 sizes: 1406, 1410, and 1415. Do you think that the new blue motors will eventually have more sizes available, specifically the 1410 size? Thank You!
There is currently no 5mm shaft available for these motors. We are looking to offer rotor replacement/motor rebuild kits this summer in both 3.2mm(1/8th) and 5mm shafts for all 14xx motors.

I don't know of any other slate colored motors coming out soon, but internally the design of these motors is identical to the green motors. All that is different is the winding to make them slower. In one of our test cars we have been running a 1410 3800kv that was geared as low as it would go, and it is one of our best trucks because it has so much torque and the gearing works in advantage for drag brake.

What kv were you looking for in the 1410 size? I have been pushing for a 4000kv 1415 motor, but that is for SCT racing, not crawling.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Castle is a racing oriented manufacturer?

People keep saying that, and in my head I'm always like 'that's news to me'.

We are a top speed, insane build, and bashing company. We keep trying to break into the racing market but ROAR keeps shutting us out because our products are too good for the rest of the racing market.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

We are a top speed, insane build, and bashing company. We keep trying to break into the racing market but ROAR keeps shutting us out because our products are too good for the rest of the racing market.

I will not say castles products are bad because I've been happy with them for years. I will say that you forgot the ---> at the end of that post. I mean come on, they let novak in!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:

Just wondering, but as far as I've seen, lots of Castle motors are ROAR approved, even the sensored 1/8 motors. Are you talking about other products?

Otherwise, the price at least doesn't scare me like the other high end sensored motors do, so I might be interested to try one of these some time...
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #19

Quote:

People say lots of dumb things on the internet...

You had me until you said ROAR keeps shutting you down because your "products are too good for the rest of the racing market." Please explain.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
People say lots of dumb things on the internet...

You had me until you said ROAR keeps shutting you down because your "products are too good for the rest of the racing market." Please explain.
I'm going to agree with White Trash and just say that he forgot these:
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote

New blue castle crawler motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Castle Crawler Sensored Brushless Motors - Coming Soon! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-06-2017 12:50 PM
help with castle motors sidehiller Electronics 4 08-29-2012 07:13 PM
Castle Motors metomwhou Electronics 2 02-16-2008 06:16 AM