Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing brushless combo - advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hobbywing brushless combo - advice!

So thinking of purchasing the following combo for my 4ws SCX10 on 2.2 tires

Hobbywing JS5 XR10 Justock 60A ESC / 3650 17.5T Sensored Brushless Motor

Supplier mentions the 21.5T motor for crawlers but I fear it will be slow when I need to power out of a situation or for a hill climb.

Currently I'm using the stock AE5 with 35T sealed can motor on 3s and wish the rig would have more low end control ( which I attribute to the ESC) but also some more top end grunt.

What do you guys think? 17.5T or 21T?
Anyone with experience with these electronics?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
OvrKll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2017, 06:35 AM   #2

Default Re: Hobbywing brushless combo - advice!

A 60A ESC should work fine in a light rig, but if it's a heavy 2.2 you might want to go up in amps. When I ran brushless in my 1.9 SCX10 I had a 17.5T motor and it was a good speed. If you want some speed go with the 17.5. If you want slower and more controlled go wtih the 21.5T. But remember, you can always adjust the speed of the 17.5 with gearing.

Just make sure that ESC has a crawler mode.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
A 60A ESC should work fine in a light rig, but if it's a heavy 2.2 you might want to go up in amps. When I ran brushless in my 1.9 SCX10 I had a 17.5T motor and it was a good speed. If you want some speed go with the 17.5. If you want slower and more controlled go wtih the 21.5T. But remember, you can always adjust the speed of the 17.5 with gearing.

Just make sure that ESC has a crawler mode.
Thanks for the reply Ripper.
Was looking at the specs:
Proportional brake with 4 steps of maximum brake force, 8 steps of drag brake force and 4 steps of initial brake force.
9 levels of acceleration/ punch from “soft” to “aggressive” for different vehicles, tires and tracks.
Multiple protections: motor lock-up protection, low-voltage cutoff protection, thermal protection and fail safe (throttle signal loss protection).

Guess this is what you mean as Crawler Settings?

Old 04-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvrKll View Post
Thanks for the reply Ripper.
Was looking at the specs:
Proportional brake with 4 steps of maximum brake force, 8 steps of drag brake force and 4 steps of initial brake force.
9 levels of acceleration/ punch from “soft” to “aggressive” for different vehicles, tires and tracks.
Multiple protections: motor lock-up protection, low-voltage cutoff protection, thermal protection and fail safe (throttle signal loss protection).

Guess this is what you mean as Crawler Settings?

You also want a forward/reverse mode with instant reverse. A lot of HobbyWing ESCs do not have that. And if there is a forward/reverse mode there is a delay in between. Not ideal for crawling.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Good point, I'm checking that with Hobbywing right now.

Just weighed my rig, scale says 3.2 kg with battery.

Too heavy for 17.5T 2200kV motor?

Old 04-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

A 35T is roughly a 1750kv motor while a 21.5t is usually around 1800-2200kv; 17.5t is around 2200-2800kv. The brushless will usually have much more torque, meaning higher RPM with a similar load & similar KV. I'd recommend the 21.5T, but it really depends on your driving style. A 17.5t sensored can be geared down if your mount allows it and offer lots of low speed finesse or be happy rocketing at speed.

My SC10.2 is just under 2kg, but just fine with 17.5t sensored & 12.5t sensorless motors. A 3kg crawler won't be too much unless you over-gear it to clear tabletop jumps & such. Ideally you'll get a 4-pole or higher motor for a heavier truck.

Last edited by Hydrocarbon92; 04-26-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Key is the 4pole..... a 17.5 2 pole runs great, but lacks the "grunt" to get out of jams with torque vs wheelspeed.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

17.5 geared 14/87 on my 3 SCX10 based rigs and a few 2.2's. No power problems, and slow speed resolution is fine. Could gear up a bit maybe if I wanted to, but happy with where they are. My ESC is a 35A and never has any issues on 2S. Nice and cool, motor and ESC run all day no problem. 60A should be fine, though more is always better.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I ran that exact combo in an SCX10.

Slow reverse unfortunately and whilst it worked well on 3S in the cooler weather, in warm weather it got very hot quickly on 3S. On 2S is was fine. That is with 20/87 gearing.

I swapped it out for a Titan 550 can 21T (which is approx. the equiv of a 540 size 27T) and HW WP80 ESC and that combo is IMO far better; I couldn't be happier in fact with the brushed setup.

It's noticeably cheaper, it's actually noticeably faster as I could gear it up and it seems to have stayed clearly cooler (I don't think I've got the ESC over 43 degrees C thus far), FAR more water tolerant, instant fwd/rev, more torque and the important bit...because it's brushed it has better low speed and decent control (espec in reverse I've found). It's extremely cheap to replace either the ESC or motor too so you can go driving in water without stress. The inbuilt BEC powers a 12kg servo and 48 LEDs without a single issue!

I am currently running the Titan with 26/80 gearing so it goes like a scalded cat now; just as fast as a Bomber with the same motor/ESC setup. I love the setup in my Bomber too. It's like the perfect bouncer/crawler rig.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote

Hobbywing brushless combo - advice! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing Xerun Sensored brushless combo. Neeley Electronics 2 01-20-2012 04:47 AM