Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #41

Default Re: New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
Glad to see this thing is coming to the market, been waiting for it for awhile now. The only thing I am not crazy about are the pot dials for channels 5/6. i would have much rather seen switches (or maybe buttons that could also be setup for linear control). Its a hard choice right now between this and hacking a GT3C, for me it might come down price at least for now. However in the future I do see myself owning one of these.
Wow that is odd. I never realized those knobs were channels until you mentioned it. I thought they were adjustments. Not sure I like that either, but I rarely use 3 channels let alone 6.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Wow that is odd. I never realized those knobs were channels until you mentioned it. I thought they were adjustments. Not sure I like that either, but I rarely use 3 channels let alone 6.
Yeah, I checked the manual to be sure. Right now, all of my rigs are running 4 channels. With my unimog I can expand to 6 channels without batting an eye, I have too many ideas for that thing. For those ideas switches would be what I would need (3 and 2 channel). For me, 6 channels or more are worth it even if it is just for that truck.

But as I keep looking at it, I'd rather go in for about 40-45 bucks for the hack kit and 6 channel receiver and modify one of my existing GT3C to try first.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
Yeah, I checked the manual to be sure. Right now, all of my rigs are running 4 channels. With my unimog I can expand to 6 channels without batting an eye, I have too many ideas for that thing. For those ideas switches would be what I would need (3 and 2 channel). For me, 6 channels or more are worth it even if it is just for that truck.

But as I keep looking at it, I'd rather go in for about 40-45 bucks for the hack kit and 6 channel receiver and modify one of my existing GT3C to try first.
I can see why you would want a hacked GT3C, but I personally just can't stand the feel of those radios so I'm going jump on this one when it's available.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
(I should shut up, but it does look like we LOSE the lanyard attachment... ) Check!!

I sorta dig that flip forward and down antenna, tho'!

We are even at a +and -.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Great question sir

GT3c owners may not have any direct advantage other than ease of programing, and maybe some different or more convenient switch form factors. Plus now I can have a easy to use trx loaner rig.

+

The fact that this is sub $100. Radio, combined with crawler specific features from a brand that has accumulated a loyal customer following (nothing against radio link) is the biggest advantage in my eyes. With that we gain product support for something engineered vs hacked. I love my hacked radio, but I'll be honest, I only recently became comfortable with it's more advanced programs.

+

Another advantage to us as a community is for those who have been reluctant to buy hacked or hack their gt3c (cough.. Nate...cough) can now benefit from a affordable, purpose built, user friendly product.

That is intimidating, until you spend a little time with the GT3C hacked version. But to be honest, My wife takes care of my hacks. I do the physical work and Marcia takes care of the computer part!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Redcat is now a FlySky dealer and they have the FS-GT5 listed on their site with a price of $99.99 and a release date of 1/25.
FS-GT5 | Redcat Racing
That price will be a real +

For me, I'm going to reserve judgment until after it comes out. IMO with the hack, you turn a mediocre radio into a super radio that out performs 4-5-and $600 radios.
I do think for the intimidated It might be the best radio for them,( cough, cough, Nate)

Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 01-18-2018 at 01:48 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Radio looks nice, knobs for channel 5and 6 are not what I want. Hacked Flysky is great radio for the money, but programming it is a headache like Traxxas radio, one beep, two beep, oh heck! I just want a radio that works well, fits my hand, ergonomic and I don’t need to constantly refer back to the manual lol
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Radio looks nice, knobs for channel 5and 6 are not what I want. Hacked Flysky is great radio for the money, but programming it is a headache like Traxxas radio, one beep, two beep, oh heck! I just want a radio that works well, fits my hand, ergonomic and I don’t need to constantly refer back to the manual lol
Try the Radiolink.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My wife takes care of my hacks. I do the physical work and Marcia takes care of the computer part!!!!
So CODY, is your wife ready to start a side business?

You two could just give up on retirement and hang out a shingle...

"Cody & his Better Half's Chassis & Computer Tweakers"

Last edited by durok; 01-18-2018 at 04:17 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Try the Radiolink.
I've looked and looked again, that radio just isn't squeezing my lemon for some reason.

I was hoping Spektrum would do a DX6C. Not sure why they did a 5C
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

you could always do the hardware hack like I did.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
So CODY, is your wife ready to start a side business?

You two could just give up on retirement and hang out a shingle...

"Cody & his Better Half's Chassis & Computer Tweakers"
As I read your message to her, she is very quickly shaking her head from side to side so I don't think the idea interests her very much!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I've looked and looked again, that radio just isn't squeezing my lemon for some reason.

I was hoping Spektrum would do a DX6C. Not sure why they did a 5C
Different strokes and all that. When I got my first one, I opened the box with great anticipation, then when I picked it up, my excitement kind of turned sour. This thing was so light weight and fragile feeling that I was immediately afraid to drop it. The plastic felt thin and cheap. Parts didn't fit together great. The overall build quality didn't live up to my cheap flysky radios. But, over time, I stopped noticing the cheap materials & build quality and just used the radio. It worked great. It had all the flexibility I needed to operate different widgets and gadgets with the extra channels. It was comfortable. I had good control of my vehicles. I liked it.

This one definitely took some time to grow on me, but I like it enough that I eventually bought a second one, and recently I just bought a bunch of receivers so that I can swap my cars and my son's cars over to the pair of radios. Now I want one of the 6 channel versions.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Try the Radiolink.
Might try one, we’ll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
you could always do the hardware hack like I did.
That sounds familiar, probably read your post, gotta link?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Default New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set

How about this one? https://www.asiatees.com/display?Rad...d=147194&pid=1

Any comparison yet with the FlySky FS-GT5 ?

Sorry guys for no English information at the moment and I wish this FS-GT5 has 3rd and 4th channel 3 position switch, made for DIG swith, winch, light or other custom function.

Last edited by Teng; 01-20-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

The 3rd channel definitely looks like a button, so it's probably not a typical 3-way channel. It's probably like the GT3's: push-button that moves it full left or right and a trim switch.

Natedog, you should be able to change the dial to a 3-pos switch. The link below shows how to do it and it only takes a switch and 2 resistors. The hardest part will probably removing the potentiometer, since it's hard-wired to the board. If it's like the GT3's inside, they'll have decent sized "probe pads" you can solder wires to then cut the traces to the pot. If you're not into pcb soldering, a firmware hack on a GT3 will be your best bet.

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewto...p?t=498#p11718
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New FlySky controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
How about this one? https://www.asiatees.com/display?Rad...d=147194&pid=1

Any comparison yet with the FlySky FS-GT5 ?

Sorry guys for no English information at the moment and I wish this FS-GT5 has 3rd and 4th channel 3 position switch, made for DIG swith, winch, light or other custom function.
That's the same one I posted on page 2 from RcMart for $70

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
For those that don't want to wait, Radiolink has its RC6GS available now. RcMart has it for $70:
RadioLink 2.4GHz 6 Channel Radio Transmitter w/ R6FG Gyro Receiver #RC6GS,

Natedog, I didn't post a thread on my radio, but it's available on banggood as a kit or pre-assembled:
pre-assembled: https://www.banggood.com/Dasmikro-Cu...r_warehouse=CN

kit:https://www.banggood.com/Dasmikro-Cu...r_warehouse=CN

Last edited by makya; 01-20-2018 at 11:56 PM.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Makya, I’ve done through-hole and SMT (surface mount tech) soldering, thanks for the mod info.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

For anyone interested, finally found the manual

http://www.redcatracing.com/manuals/...2020170914.pdf
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #58
RCC Addict

I dunno mang... It's a good lookin radio, buuuut it's sounding like the hack gt3 is going to come out on top again!!!! I'm sure people will start changing switches and finding ways to tweak it (gt5) for more, but we will just have to wait and see.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Thank you for the manual, it is really helpful. unfortunately the GT5 only has one 3 position switch on channel 4. But still good at least it has one for my winch.
Looks like 5 & 6 are variable, if there's a detent for center those may also work for a winch to adjust speed and slow down for fine adjustments. That was really my only gripe with a simple 3pos switch and a winch on 3s, it was either off or balls to the wall pulses.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:23 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Here's something I found while poking for other info. This radio probably will follow the trend since it's using a similar radio to the i6X.

Spectrum DX6i = 41.5ms avg latency, Flysky i6X = 13.6ms avg latency; for reference a normal eye blink is 200ms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75E1WSrwqaY&t=420s
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flysky GT3C, what's on the CD? & info for extra channel switches? patrol_maverick Electronics 7 11-15-2013 06:10 PM