Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #81

Default Re: New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set

I have my GT5 going. Using 4 channels.

CH4 is a 3 position switch attached to my wraith dig.
The rotary knob channel 6 is controlling my CC Mamba X aux wire. I have it set to control the drag brake from 10-80% with reverse. When I turn it to the full 100% it enters crawl mode with with 100% drag and crawl reverse.
Derring-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #82

Default Re: New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set

I like the radio. Feels better than the RTR reading I've been using. I wish it had a charge port for the optional lipo. The lipo size seems to be good for about a 2s 450mah JST connector battery.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #83

Has any of the fly sky hackers had a chance to look at this Tx? I wonder if it will be as hackable as other fly sky's?
Old 03-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Seems like the gt5 doesn't like any other receivers besides the bs-6 it comes with. I've tried many afhds 1 and an afhds 2a rx from the Gt2e. The fs-a3 from the Gt2e will bind temporarily for 10 seconds or so then go back to blinking.

Hopefully I'm doing something wrong or have the wrong afhds 2 rx.

Otherwise the gt5 is great for my needs... Steering, throttle, winch, 2spd trans & rear diff lock/unlock.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:36 AM   #85
Rock Crawler

I wish they would leave out the dial switches as to me that's trimming something, and the only place i would need that is turning a tank turret, but a tank i would drive with a stick controller.

So i would like just 2-3 position switches for a scaler radio and scaler car functions.

Dials might work for me if they had a click at the outer settings and middle setting, that would be usable as a 3 position switch i guess.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Seems like the gt5 doesn't like any other receivers besides the bs-6 it comes with. I've tried many afhds 1 and an afhds 2a rx from the Gt2e. The fs-a3 from the Gt2e will bind temporarily for 10 seconds or so then go back to blinking.

Hopefully I'm doing something wrong or have the wrong afhds 2 rx.

Otherwise the gt5 is great for my needs... Steering, throttle, winch, 2spd trans & rear diff lock/unlock.

Any luck with the fs-gr3e ?

Also has anyone found the bs-6 for sale separately ?
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildblue77 View Post
Any luck with the fs-gr3e ?

Also has anyone found the bs-6 for sale separately ?
I have a metric crap ton of gr3e rx's and clones, tried a few and nothing. They are afhds 1.

The bs-6's are available from redcat and on the bay. Got another bs-6 and an iA6 coming to try out.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:32 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
I have a metric crap ton of gr3e rx's and clones, tried a few and nothing. They are afhds 1.

The bs-6's are available from redcat and on the bay. Got another bs-6 and an iA6 coming to try out.
I need to try and find some in the UK....or at least from banggood/tomtop etc..
Old 03-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #89
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Do you know for certain that the handle is the exact same?

Ergonomics are way more than just the handle though.
I got a radio in.

You'll be pleased to hear that the GT5 feels much better than the GT3C and way better than the 3B.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I got a radio in.

You'll be pleased to hear that the GT5 feels much better than the GT3C and way better than the 3B.
Good news indeed.

Now I'm interested to hear how the knob channels work. And have you figured out of it can be hacked yet?

The more I think about it though the more I realize this radio is priced way too close to the Spektrum DX5C. I'm not sure how the channels on that work either. But they'll definitely be compared when I decide on another radio.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #91
Got Worms?

Quote:
Good news indeed.

Now I'm interested to hear how the knob channels work. And have you figured out of it can be hacked yet?

The more I think about it though the more I realize this radio is priced way too close to the Spektrum DX5C. I'm not sure how the channels on that work either. But they'll definitely be compared when I decide on another radio.
Channel 5 and 6 (Knobs up top) are potentiometers. You could hack in a series of different analog options. (3 postion switch being the easiest)

Channel 4 appears to be a 3 postion switch but I haven't yet tracked down to see if it's digital or analog.

It can most definitely be hacked but the GT3B/C firmware is incompatible and a new firmware will have to be written from scratch. Fortunately, it doesn't appear to use any proprietary chips so writing new firmware is doable.

The trickiest part will be determining the LCD and RF module protocols. It appears the internet may have a good lead on the AFHDS2A protocol so it's just determining the LCD protocol.

I'm going to order a dev board to start getting familiar with the mcu but it'll be at least a year before I'll have any sort of firmware developed. My day job currently sinks 60 hours a week and my new startup sinks another 20-40hrs. So that only leaves a handful of hours each week to work on this.....maybe someone else will beat me to the punch.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Good news indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Channel 5 and 6 (Knobs up top) are potentiometers. You could hack in a series of different analog options. (3 postion switch being the easiest)

Channel 4 appears to be a 3 postion switch but I haven't yet tracked down to see if it's digital or analog.

It can most definitely be hacked but the GT3B/C firmware is incompatible and a new firmware will have to be written from scratch. Fortunately, it doesn't appear to use any proprietary chips so writing new firmware is doable.

The trickiest part will be determining the LCD and RF module protocols. It appears the internet may have a good lead on the AFHDS2A protocol so it's just determining the LCD protocol.

I'm going to order a dev board to start getting familiar with the mcu but it'll be at least a year before I'll have any sort of firmware developed. My day job currently sinks 60 hours a week and my new startup sinks another 20-40hrs. So that only leaves a handful of hours each week to work on this.....maybe someone else will beat me to the punch.
On the Spektrum DX5C, two of the aux channels are lost to the AVC control when AVC is enabled at the transmitter, leaving only the last channel free for shifting or rear steering purposes.

Is the GT5 like that with its gyro control? It certainly does not give me that impression from reading the manual.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
On the Spektrum DX5C, two of the aux channels are lost to the AVC control when AVC is enabled at the transmitter, leaving only the last channel free for shifting or rear steering purposes.

Is the GT5 like that with its gyro control? It certainly does not give me that impression from reading the manual.
I would never use AVC.

But are the extra channels 2 position, 3 position, momentary, etc?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I would never use AVC.
Technophobe?

It's just another tool that has its place. On loose surfaces, running a gyro in my yeti would be a lot easier than opening up the diffs just for those brief moments when I find a patch of flat ground for a few top speed runs. Open diffs also have their place.

But this thread is about what the GT5 can do.
Quote:
But are the extra channels 2 position, 3 position, momentary, etc?
From what I gather from the videos I have seen:
- channel 3, momentary (the manual is vey unclear on this)
- channel 4, three position
- channel 5, knob
- channel 6, knob

I trust that someone that has one of these in hand can correct me if I am mistaken.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #95

Quote:
Technophobe?

It's just another tool that has its place. On loose surfaces, running a gyro in my yeti would be a lot easier than opening up the diffs just for those brief moments when I find a patch of flat ground for a few top speed runs. Open diffs also have their place.

- channel 5, knob
- channel 6, knob

I trust that someone that has one of these in hand can correct me if I am mistaken.
Nope. I love technology. I've just never found a need for any electronic nannies on RCs. I've tried gyros and I don't like them.

If I can't drive in the conditions it's either me or the wrong tires IMHO.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:06 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Technophobe?

- channel 5, knob
- channel 6, knob

Yep thats about right. The 3rd channel is just an on/off toggle the same as the GT3C.

Ive ordered a Turnigy IA6B to see if it works, there is no reason why it shouldnt.

Im still rather new to this RC malarky, how would I go about making use of the AVC/gyro functionality, assuming its channels 5 & 6 would I just leave them empty and enable it somehow on the handset. I do like the idea of this for my Yeti as its rather pokey and lively.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #97

Is the manual available online anywhere? I have searched but to no avail!
paul.cotterill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.cotterill View Post
Is the manual available online anywhere? I have searched but to no avail!
http://www.flysky-cn.com/downloadRep...e4dab224bd.pdf
Old 03-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildblue77 View Post

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
paul.cotterill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #100
RCC Addict

3-6 channel's explained .....
A real nice rx...
https://youtu.be/SskBLp2wz5E
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote

New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flysky GT3C, what's on the CD? & info for extra channel switches? patrol_maverick Electronics 7 11-15-2013 06:10 PM