RadioMaster MT12 Surface Radio Controller 2.4GHz ELRS/4-in-1 Multi-protocol

Radiomaster Website

RadioMaster MT12

Physical dimensions: 177.8*118.4*207.8mm
Weight: 480 grams
Operating frequency: 2.400GHz-2.480GHz
Internal RF Options: 4-in-1 multi-protocol / ELRS 2.4GHz
Supported protocols: Module dependent
RF power: CC2500 and 4-in-1: 20dBm max. / ELRS: 24dBm max.
Operational current: 160 mA for 4 in 1. 400 mA for ELRS 250mw .
Operational voltage: 6.6-8.4 VDC
Control distance: > 1 km @ 20dBm
Operating system: EdgeTX
Control channels: Maximum 16 (Rx dependent)
Display: 128*64 Monochrome LCD
Battery: 2 x 18650 or 21700 battery
Charging: Built in USB-C Charging
Firmware Upgrade method: Via USB or SD card
Gimbal: Hall-effect Module bay: Nano size (Compatible with TBS Nano Crossfire / Nano Tracer / RadioMaster Nano-size modules)

Features:

* Available with built-in ExpressLRS or 4in1 MPM RF modules
* Featuring a powerful STM32F407VGT6 with 1MB Flash
* Preinstalled EdgeTX firmware
* QC3.0 fast charging supporting 2.0A MAX
* Compact design with excellent ergonomics
* Oversized battery compartment - 2 x 18650 cells or a 2s 7.4v 5000mah battery pack (Batteries not included)
* Standard Nano module compartment
* RadioMaster standardized button layout
* Rotatable antenna
* Customizable base switches or 4 way joystick included *32 channels requires a 4in1 radio and additional 4in1 RF module along with compatible receivers

R85C Receiver Specification:
Item: R85C Receiver
Power supply: DC 4.5 -8.4V
Frequency range: 2400-2483.5Mhz
Support protocol: D8/D16/SFHSS
Output channel: 5CH PWM
Antenna type: High-sensitivity 2.4G antenna
Telemetry power: 100mW/20dBm
Weight: 5.70g
Dimensions: 31.00*18.50*13.00mm

ER3C-i Receiver Specification:
Item: ER3C-i 2.4GHZ ELRS PWM Receiver
Power supply: DC 4.5-8.4V
Antenna type: Built-in high-sensitivity ceramic antenna
Wireless protocol: ExpressLRS 3.3.0 pre-installed
Output channel: 3CH PWM
Telemetry power: 10mW
Battery voltage detection range: DC 4.0-35V
Weight: 4.2g
Dimensions: 26.1*18.5*13.0mm
Firmware: Device Category: Radiomaster 2.4Ghz/ Device: RadioMaster ER3C-i

EdgeTX Operating System Preinstalled with EdgeTX, the MT12 has cutting edge software fit for its class-leading hardware. RadioMaster works closely with the EdgeTX team to develop new features and optimize the user experience for surface models. We will continue to contribute and support projects like EdgeTX, ensuring the concepts of open standards are carried forward.

Tons of videos released 2 hrs ago, find some here:

https://www.rockcrawler.de/thread/52...86#post1792486

More pics:
https://www.rockcrawler.de/thread/52...l/#post1792486
donaldsneffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2023, 07:52 PM   #2

Default Re: Radiomaster MT12 Multiprotocol 16-ch Surface Radio

Just got mine in from preorder a couple days ago. Feels like a quality unit. Might have a steeper learning curve than I anticipated for binding it to existing receivers. At least extra receivers from Radiomaster are pretty cheap.
wrencheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 01:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrencheist View Post
Just got mine in from preorder a couple days ago. Feels like a quality unit. Might have a steeper learning curve than I anticipated for binding it to existing receivers. At least extra receivers from Radiomaster are pretty cheap.
post up your findings, i am following.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 04:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm one of the crazy people who spends $60 on everything I build to put a Futaba receiver in it, so the 4in1 version of this would pay for itself in just a few kits with the lower cost receivers.

Not to mention having more than 4 channels would be a bonus.

I use a couple of 4PLS's now, and have considered a Noble NB4 but never pulled the trigger (no pun intended) but for $130, this really has me interested to see how it compares to a higher cost radio.
OutLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 07:48 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Found it on Amazon, too...

Color me interested!

Much better price than the Noble, which I was thinkin' of someday upgrading to.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 05:39 AM   #6

How long has Radiomaster been around?

Harley and Matt from SBG both have these radios I believe which leads me to believe they were sent them for free to evaluate. Harley kind of suggested that he has been going back and forth with Radiomaster because there may be a fatal flaw with this radio. Matt then said "well you have the 4 in 1" and the conversation ended there.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 06:07 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Found it on Amazon, too...

Color me interested!

Much better price than the Noble, which I was thinkin' of someday upgrading to.
Nobles sell for $155 with 2 rx. I am curious to see what this is about but I wouldnt consider dumping an NB4 for it simply because of the ease of use with the touch screen personalization and switch layout of nb4. Also, zero interest in menus after dumping my Futaba's for the NB4's.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:13 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
How long has Radiomaster been around?

Harley and Matt from SBG both have these radios I believe which leads me to believe they were sent them for free to evaluate. Harley kind of suggested that he has been going back and forth with Radiomaster because there may be a fatal flaw with this radio. Matt then said "well you have the 4 in 1" and the conversation ended there.
Radiomaster has been around for a good while, but this is their first entry into the surface market. Until now they have provided air specific controllers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
Nobles sell for $155 with 2 rx. I am curious to see what this is about but I wouldnt consider dumping an NB4 for it simply because of the ease of use with the touch screen personalization and switch layout of nb4. Also, zero interest in menus after dumping my Futaba's for the NB4's.
If the Noble had a way of being an "all in one" I'd 100% be all over it. I didn't realize they had dropped so much in price since the Noble Pro came out - I wonder if they'll stop supporting it soon? Not that it really makes much difference once what you have is reliable... I've never had an update for any of my Futaba radios, so it's really not that big of a problem.

The fact that the MT12 uses EdgeTX is what really makes it seem useful to me in the long run. We know the RC crowd is a resourceful bunch of people, and I think if this takes off we'll see some interesting adaptations and add-ons in the future. Also the ability to add either the long range module to the 4in1 version or the 4in1 module to the long range version is a cool idea.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:36 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

A while back I bought the 12-CH Flysky stick radio everyone uses for their construction equipment, I was not impressed. It had bad components out of the box, and simply does not work right. So I am in the market for another multi-channel ( > 6ch) radio. This guy might just fit the bill, especially the 4-n-1 version. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 05:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutLore View Post
Radiomaster has been around for a good while, but this is their first entry into the surface market. Until now they have provided air specific controllers.

If the Noble had a way of being an "all in one" I'd 100% be all over it. I didn't realize they had dropped so much in price since the Noble Pro came out - I wonder if they'll stop supporting it soon? Not that it really makes much difference once what you have is reliable... I've never had an update for any of my Futaba radios, so it's really not that big of a problem.

The fact that the MT12 uses EdgeTX is what really makes it seem useful to me in the long run. We know the RC crowd is a resourceful bunch of people, and I think if this takes off we'll see some interesting adaptations and add-ons in the future. Also the ability to add either the long range module to the 4in1 version or the 4in1 module to the long range version is a cool idea.
Thank you.

What do you mean "all in one" for the Nobel? That thing is still pretty expensive...

The EdgeTX is interesting. So cool to see open-source like AM32 and EdgeTX make it into RC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
A while back I bought the 12-CH Flysky stick radio everyone uses for their construction equipment, I was not impressed. It had bad components out of the box, and simply does not work right. So I am in the market for another multi-channel ( > 6ch) radio. This guy might just fit the bill, especially the 4-n-1 version. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Flysky has always been overrated IMO. The GT3 is probably the most overrated transmitter series ever. Some wear by it, but out of the box, some of the settings didn't work or didn't match the words on the radio. Hackers saved it.

I have a GT5 and it is much better. Still not on the level of Futaba or Sanwa. Sanwa customer service sucks though. I've never had to contact Futaba customer service.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:15 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Thank you.

What do you mean "all in one" for the Nobel? That thing is still pretty expensive...

The EdgeTX is interesting. So cool to see open-source like AM32 and EdgeTX make it into RC!
I should have said multi-protocol, so you can just bind existing other brand receivers to a single radio.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:26 AM   #12

Quote:
I should have said multi-protocol, so you can just bind existing other brand receivers to a single radio.
Got it. Thanks! Interesting how more air radios get this support. Not sure why, but surface transmitters always seem to be treated like evil step children. Would be very cool if the GT5 got EdgeTX AND that worked reliably.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:36 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The thing to understand about the MT12 is, with the 4-in-1 module, it does NOT bind to 'every' protocol. The latest protocols from the top manufacturers (ie. Futaba, Spektrum, FlySky, & Sanwa/Airtronics) are not covered...and, there's a good probability they won't be, as most of the latest protocols are protected by patents. In order to include those protocols, RadioMaster would have to pay to licence the user of those protocols, which is something I highly doubt the other manufacturers will be willing to do.

However, all is not lost. While I don't see the 4-in-1 option being truly 'usable', the ELRS option is an excellent idea. You won't get anywhere near the range of a TBS Crossfire (we're talking miles), but you will get a range that's definitely greater (1,100 yards) than the range of any other surface controller currently in the market. Just be aware that programming an Edge TX-based radio isn't anything like the settings in other surface radius...you will have a bit of a learning curve...a fairly steep learning curve.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 12-21-2023 at 07:55 AM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 07:50 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
TT thing to understand about the MT12 is, with the 4-in-1 module, it does NOT bind to 'every' protocol. The latest protocols from the top manufacturers (ie. Futaba, Spektrum, FlySky, & Sanwa/Airtronics) are not covered...and, there's a good probability they won't be, as most of the latest protocols are protected by patents. In order to include those protocols, RadioMaster would have to pay to licence the user of those protocols, which is something I highly doubt the other manufacturers will be willing to do.

However, all is not lost. While I don't see the 4-in-1 option being truly 'usable', the ELRS option is an excellent idea. You won't get anywhere near the range of a TBS Crossfire (we're talking miles), but you will get a range that's definitely greater (1,100 yards) than the range of any other surface controller currently in the market. Just be aware that programming an Edge TX-based radio isn't anything like the settings in other surface radius...you will have a bit of a learning curve...a fairly steep learning curve.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Yup, that's going to be the downside - but with $10 - $15 dollar receivers, any that you currently have that can't be bound to it are easily (and cheaply) replaced. Which is the same with the Noble, I think receivers are about the same cost.

I'm not sure what latency is like, I think there have been some tests done but I haven't looked into it in detail yet. I don't think this is a radio for anyone who is entering competitions or racing, but for an enthusiast that wants to tinker I feel like it's going to be a good option.

What I did read is that while the ELRS module can be added later to the 4in1 version and the 4in1 module can be added to the ELRS version, the ELRS add on module has more power than the built in one, and is slightly cheaper, so if you wanted both options the way to go is get the 4in1 version and add the ELRS module, rather than the other way around.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:05 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What I did read is that while the ELRS module can be added later to the 4in1 version and the 4in1 module can be added to the ELRS version, the ELRS add on module has more power than the built in one, and is slightly cheaper, so if you wanted both options the way to go is get the 4in1 version and add the ELRS module, rather than the other way around.
Just be aware that, according to early reports, there's a serious problem with the 4-in-1 units. Don't know if this applies to the exterior 4-in-1 modules, b but it does apply to the radios having the internal 4-in-1. But, at pointed out, this is really more for enthusiasts wanting to consolidate older radios.

Unfortunately, based on comments left on FB, as well as various YouTube videos, there are a lot of people who aren't getting that point, and think this is a radio they can get to replace "everything" they currently have. There have even been a few people new to, or having recently gotten into, RC, that think this is the radio they "need" to get.

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 08:40 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I am almost sold on this radio... but... It seems to be switch limited. Theoretically, having the 4-n-1 version, with the 4-n-1 expansion give you 32 channels of input... ok... You don't have 32 switches. Sure, if you have that many, likely your going to be doing some mixing, but you're still going to want more buttons than the radio has.

Most of the non-trim buttons are only two position, even the expansion. So, the big question, can the trim switches be set up to control channels?

Also, it sounds like you can run multiple RXs at the same time, or am I misunderstanding this capability?

Last edited by Greatscott; 12-24-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:54 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I am almost sold on this radio... but... It seems to be switch limited. Theoretically, having the 4-n-1 version, with the 4-n-1 expansion give you 32 channels of input... ok... You don't have 32 switches. Sure, if you have that many, likely your going to be doing some mixing, but you're still going to want more buttons than the radio has.

Most of the non-trim buttons are only two position, even the expansion. So, the big question, can the trim switches be set up to control channels?

Also, it sounds like you can run multiple RXs at the same time, or am I misunderstanding this capability?
I'd wondered about the max of 32 channels that are advertised, I wonder if it has some kind of "shift" switch option where one of the buttons can double or triple the output of some of the other buttons. 32ch is definitely interesting, but I'm thinking 10 would be my absolute max for some projects I have in mind, but who knows in future

Need one of the YouTubers to do an in depth review.

I don't think it's running multiple RX's as much as it is the ability to control multiple brand RX's - meaning if you have a bunch of RTRs you could possibly run them all from one radio using the existing RX's - but as has been said, the latest protocols are more than likely not supported.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:44 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'd wondered about the max of 32 channels that are advertised, I wonder if it has some kind of "shift" switch option where one of the buttons can double or triple the output of some of the other buttons. 32ch is definitely interesting, but I'm thinking 10 would be my absolute max for some projects I have in mind, but who knows in future
I have been doing a ton on research on this guy, and for all of the channels it can run at once, it is definitively switch limited. But, you can have different models in a particular model setup where the mode shift reassigns the switch function.
I can see this functionality being useful in certain builds, like my TRX6 crane build. Currently I run two RXs, setup as separate models in the radio. With the MT12, both RXs would run concurrently on the same model, and a button push would put you into another mode. For this model, one model would be for driving, controlling steering, ESC, lights and such; with a button push I would be able to control the crane functions. And, sure, I am kind of doing this now when I shift models on the radio, but the radio REALLY does not like shift from a model when the model is powered up, and as a flight radio, I can see why the set it up this way.

Project: M8 TRX6

Quote:
Need one of the YouTubers to do an in depth review.
There are a good amount of video reviews out there for this radio. A couple have taken deep dives in specific RC niches like drift, but that is about it. There are a couple of videos that are crawler specific, but they are really general.

One particular thing of note on this radio, Channel 1 is for the throttle, and channel 2 is for steering. This is one of those things I think they didn't get right in their conversion from flight radios to ground radios. It really isn't that hard to overcome, but it is something different.

As a radio for my crawlers, my Spetrums do really well, but they are seriously lacking for my construction equipment. I have been hunting for a video that shows how to set this radio up for skid-steer, but I think it is still too new.
Quote:
I don't think it's running multiple RX's as much as it is the ability to control multiple brand RX's - meaning if you have a bunch of RTRs you could possibly run them all from one radio using the existing RX's - but as has been said, the latest protocols are more than likely not supported.
Yes, it most certainly is able to run multiple RXs on the same model at the same time. I think the ELRS model gives the best bang for the buck here, having the ability to run 16 channels at one through two RXs. The 4-in-1 version touts 32 channels, but from what I have gleaned, it is tricky to set up. The ELRS model with a 4-in-1 expansion module is likely the best option. ELRS is a standard that has been around for years, and it has insane range.

In the next day or two I will pull the trigger on this radio and see what I can do with it. I will get the ELRS version with the 4-IN-1 module. I am interested to see how well the 4-IN-1 module plays with my DSM2 RXs.

Last edited by Greatscott; 12-28-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:08 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I ordered my system a week or two ago. I ordered it direct, so it is literally taking the slow boat from China. I order the ELRS version with a 4N1 module, battery and a couple of RXs. Really looking forward to see what I can do with it.

I think I am going to set up a test stand with cheepy servos and a couple of ESCs (likely some XL5s I have laying around). Below is a great video for binding RXs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3wJimmFH2c
Old 01-13-2024, 08:14 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

My M12 arrived yesterday... A warning to those who decide to order direct, you'll pay less, but they literally send it on the slowest boat from China.

I am approaching this system a little differently that I have other systems. I want to be up on the learning curve before I put this system into an RC, I will have less of a chance of breaking something. I am building test board with two ESCs, two motors, a winch controller, servo winch, lighting controller, and whatever other do-dads I can put on there, and, of course a battery. This will give me the ability to bind RXs and try out different configurations before going live with them.

Radiomaster MT12 Multiprotocol 16-ch Surface Radio - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MOA Surface Radio. Alernative to MT-4? karajabola Electronics 0 09-02-2017 09:52 PM
Using an air radio instead of surface CoolRunning Electronics 16 08-16-2017 11:26 PM
Radio ideas: surface radio + full mixing of front/rear throttle karajabola Electronics 6 11-21-2014 08:17 PM
Surface radio, air rx Rooney7783 Electronics 3 01-01-2012 05:26 PM
Radio: Air to surface conversion mtnhrdgr2 Newbie General 11 06-08-2010 09:45 AM