Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Running LEDs from Rx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Running LEDs from Rx

I understand this question may be hardware specific, but I will ask anyway. I'm curious what the full voltage range of the signal pin is on a receiver.

Is it 0 - 5V?
Is it 0 - Rx supply voltage (in other words, the ESC internal BEC voltage)?

Why am I asking? I'd like to do a poor mans light controller (i.e., no light controller) and hook my LED harness positive lead to the signal pin on my AUX channel instead of the positive pin. That way I can turn the whole LED harness on or off with my radio.

If that doesn't work, I suppose I could use a relay or transistor and use both the + and signal pins on the Rx, but I'm trying to keep it simple. :-)

Any thoughts? I will tear my setup open if I need to, but I thought I would ask first. The other followup question is if the current carrying capacity is the same on the signal pin as it is on the positive pin.

Thanks. I hope this is clear, hard not to be wordy!

(For reference I'm running a Sanwa/Airtronics RX-462 and a HH BRXL ESC which has a 6V internal BEC)

Last edited by karajabola; 05-07-2017 at 07:42 AM.
karajabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Running LEDs from Rx

I don't believe just hooking up the lights straight to Rx works, regardless of pin, but I can't imagine the voltage output of the signal circuit is very high.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You can get receiver voltage from your receiver - what I mean by that is the voltage supplied by your ESC's built in BEC or your external BEC. Yes, you can take it from the Aux channel connector or any channel's connector. The usually red and black (sometimes red and brown) wires on a servo connector are the power connections. The remaining pin is the servo signal and often has a white (sometimes orange) wire going to it.

This might be helpful:
How to wire LEDs
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Running LEDs from Rx

Yes that will work.....BUT if your draw is too much you will have glitching or brownouts.
The rx is usually at 5 to 6v from the bec in your esc.

Holmes has a cable that allows you to run higher bec voltage for lights

http://holmeshobbies.com/electronics...ry-output.html

Last edited by mikemcE; 05-07-2017 at 09:20 AM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Rx voltage is whatever your esc bec voltage is, so in your case 6v. You can pull power from any open channel on rx, but you won't be able to turn on/off unless you have some type of light controller hooked up.

Mike, for leds to cause brown outs, you would have to run a sh-t ton of leds to do that. Meaning enough to pull a few amps and that's highly unlikely anyone would run that many.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the input everybody. There are a few suggestions I will need a light controller, however, no comments about the signal pin itself. I think I will investigate the signal pin before I commit to a controller. The goal here is that if the signal pin outputs an analog voltage between 0 and 5 or 6V, and it carries sufficient current, I could use it in place of the the positive wire.

Something tells me though I will find my plan is flawed. Perhaps the signal is not analogue, but instead PWM. I will post again if I find out anything useful.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:25 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Rx voltage is whatever your esc bec voltage is, so in your case 6v. You can pull power from any open channel on rx, but you won't be able to turn on/off unless you have some type of light controller hooked up.

Mike, for leds to cause brown outs, you would have to run a sh-t ton of leds to do that. Meaning enough to pull a few amps and that's highly unlikely anyone would run that many.

With leds correct, add a winch or other do dads, then too much draw..... it's always the amperage not voltage

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-08-2017, 05:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The signal pin gets power from your esc....

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
This might be helpful:
How to wire LEDs

Well, my plan is definitely flawed. The signal pin is not a simple analogue output. It's a PWM signal that, by my radio, varies between about 9% and 20% duty cycle at about 100Hz.

So, that explains why everyone uses a LED controller when they want to control their lights with their radio

So, now I'm in the market for a simple LED controller. Heyok, I read your thread you posted earlier and I am interested in your wares, do you have a site or thread somewhere I can look at? I'm looking to power a harness from my radio, I don't need braking/turning functions. Just on/off. Compact and waterproof would be awesome.

Do any others have LED controller recommendations? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ebay. You can find them for about $7 bucks.

Example:
1. Link
2. Link
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:27 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I use these https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dr-mad-t...ff-switch.html to control my head lights and my gear indicator on my little monster. Only thing is u have to waterproof it by yourself.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:52 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

https://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-p...3_1630387.aspx

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajabola View Post
Well, my plan is definitely flawed. The signal pin is not a simple analogue output. It's a PWM signal that, by my radio, varies between about 9% and 20% duty cycle at about 100Hz.

So, that explains why everyone uses a LED controller when they want to control their lights with their radio

So, now I'm in the market for a simple LED controller. Heyok, I read your thread you posted earlier and I am interested in your wares, do you have a site or thread somewhere I can look at? I'm looking to power a harness from my radio, I don't need braking/turning functions. Just on/off. Compact and waterproof would be awesome.

Do any others have LED controller recommendations? Thanks.
This light controller fits the requirements you listed:
Remote Switch For LED Lighting

This one is good if you have a three position channel:
Dual RC Switch for LED lighting or ?

You can find all my parts here:
HeyOK's RC Electronics items (all in one place)

If there is something you would like, send me a PM, or you can look through my web store:
https://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-performance

Thanks,
Al
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote

Running LEDs from Rx - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about leds running off an auxiliary battery. Fred1988 Electronics 5 05-07-2017 10:41 AM
Will switching from 9V LEDs to 12V LEDs be brighter? BadRockNoCookie Electronics 5 11-04-2015 08:35 PM
Ya'll running 35T motors, what pinion are you running? concretejungle Axial XR10 9 03-11-2012 08:18 PM
running leds and cree lights from fourth channel on receiver? shaggy2112 Electronics 1 02-22-2012 08:37 PM