Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX5R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Spektrum DX5R

Bit the bullet and bought a DX5R, an upgrade from my DX3R.

Overall I like the radio and finding new uses for the extra channels, and coming up with new things to control.

When programming the DX3R, you select the switch and assign a channel to it. This allows you to have multiple switches controlling the same channel. I found this very useful for control winches, I used the three position switch forward of the wheel in linear mode to pay in and out at whatever speed I wanted; I used a 2-position switch on the thumb to paying out at max rate, and for stopping the winch in any direction.

On the DX5R, you select a channel and assign a switch to it, which only allows for one switch assigned to a channel at a time. Does anyone know of a way to assign more than one switch to a channel?

The Manual...
When researching this radio, the biggest complaint I ran across was that the manual does not explain all functions and all switches. I have found this to be correct, there are a couple of setting that I had to guess at because it isn't explained anywhere in the manual. Luckily, the experience I have with RC has allowed me to push through and figure it out, but I can see this being frustrating for a new guy.

The Receiver...
- I bought a DX6e a little while back for my Blizzard, airboat and 4WS Wraith, and I noticed that getting RX plugs in and seated was a chore, the slots in the RX seemed to be just a bit too narrow. I thought it might be an aircraft thing, make the connectors fit as tight as possible so they wouldn't worm their way out in flight. But, I have found the same is true for the DX5R's RXs as well. Anyone else notice this?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Spektrum DX5R

All Spektrum manuals are useful as toilet paper, little else. Even 7 year old SR410 rxs are a tight fit for plugs, so I think it's on purpose.

I've been contemplating selling by dx4s and getting a dx5, thanks for the review!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
The Receiver...
- I bought a DX6e a little while back for my Blizzard, airboat and 4WS Wraith, and I noticed that getting RX plugs in and seated was a chore, the slots in the RX seemed to be just a bit too narrow. I thought it might be an aircraft thing, make the connectors fit as tight as possible so they wouldn't worm their way out in flight. But, I have found the same is true for the DX5R's RXs as well. Anyone else notice this?
I've noticed they are tight on the Spektrum Rx's I have (Sr410 and 310) I've had to trim down several different connectors to make them sit, some need no trimming. Might just be a Spektrum thing?
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #4

I know this is an old post, but.... How are doing with this radio? I just bought one to swap my models from DX4S and I don't like it at all.... The radio also seems low quality, and the scroll wheel gets stuck in the middle... like the index clicks are not lined up properly.
This radio is not going to stay with me very long.
GWTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

So far it has served me well. I am running most of my RCs off of it and haven't had any issues.

TRX4, Snow Slash, 4WD Slash, King Hauler, and a TF2.

My one complaint is it having five channels. I set up like functions to the same switches (winches), but there are other functions that just don't cross over. To help me remember what is programmed where I have made a Power Point using a drawing of the radio. I have one page for each truck, I convert it to a PDF and sent it to my phone for quick reference.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
My one complaint is it having five channels. I set up like functions to the same switches (winches), but there are other functions that just don't cross over. To help me remember what is programmed where I have made a Power Point using a drawing of the radio. I have one page for each truck, I convert it to a PDF and sent it to my phone for quick reference.
So, it's not me..... I too tried to transfer some things over from one of my cars, and the DX5R does not work the same as the DX4S as far as what controls each function, and I have one knob doing 2 things at the same time (AVC gain) and for some reason the DX5R will not allow control of both gains... I'm sure there is something that can be done, but the scroll wheel is messed up. when I scroll the click is between indexes, like its on high cam lobe so I can not stay on the one thing I am trying to change, also the font is smaller than my DX4, and my eyes can baerly see read it.
I am going to look into the DX6R I guess, it would be too costly to change over to Futaba. For now the Traxxas radio is going to stay on the TRX4.
Thanks for the reply.
GWTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTony View Post
So, it's not me..... I too tried to transfer some things over from one of my cars, and the DX5R does not work the same as the DX4S as far as what controls each function, and I have one knob doing 2 things at the same time (AVC gain) and for some reason the DX5R will not allow control of both gains... I'm sure there is something that can be done, but the scroll wheel is messed up. when I scroll the click is between indexes, like its on high cam lobe so I can not stay on the one thing I am trying to change, also the font is smaller than my DX4, and my eyes can baerly see read it.
I am going to look into the DX6R I guess, it would be too costly to change over to Futaba. For now the Traxxas radio is going to stay on the TRX4.
Thanks for the reply.
Yup, the one trick my DX3R had I miss with the DX5R, which is the ability to assign the same channel to multiple switches. I have gotten around it, but it was a nifty feature of the 3R.

Spektrum DX5R - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
spektrum dx5r anyone? cartronicshn Electronics 8 04-18-2017 07:28 PM
New Spektrum DX5R 5-Channel Radio - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 03-29-2017 05:14 PM