Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Advise needed, no forward on front axle of MOA - 2 x sidewinder micro escs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Advise needed, no forward on front axle of MOA - 2 x sidewinder micro escs

Hey guys, have been away from the game for awhile and iv just dug my rig up out of storage and I have an issue.
Being away from the hobby for so long im a bit rusty with my trouble shooting.

My rig has 2 x castle sidewinder micro ESCS.

The rear one / motor is working properly and I can make it go forward / reverse independently as I wish.

The front however is not working as it should. Front axle will only go in reverse.
Iv tried recalibrating that ESC but I still have no forward.
The LEDS on the ESC light up as I think they should when applying the throttle (flashing red with partial throttle and solid red with full throttle) - but the motor does not spin.

Any ideas?
This is my rig here.

thanks
nzcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Advise needed, no forward on front axle of MOA - 2 x sidewinder micro escs

Esc should be green forward, yellow neutral, and red reverse.

Be sure throttle trim is set to zero

Try calibrating esc 1 @ a time.

Last edited by tapped-out; 05-11-2017 at 10:27 PM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Advise needed, no forward on front axle of MOA - 2 x sidewinder micro escs

Yep it goes through all the phases of lights as it should.

The green light flashes / goes solid when I go in reverse though, because its on the front axe so its setup backwards.

So when I reverse (partial throttle) light flashes green and goes solid green at full reverse throttle. - this works fine.

But when I go forward - (partial throttle) light flashes red, and goes solid red when at full throttle (which it should I think)- but the motor does not move.

Ignore the fact that green should be forward and red = reverse.

Lets just work off the fact that light flashes red at partial throttle, and solid red at full throttle (which it should I believe when reversing), but motor does nothing (and ignore my references to forward or reverse.)

I just need the motor to move as it should when the lights red. Don't care if its forward or backwards as it will be correct direction for my application.

edit; LED does go through all the colour squences. Flashing Green, Solid Green. Orange at Neutral. Flashing Red, then solid Red. But during the red stages - the motor does nothing.

Im thinking that maybe reverse is turned off in the ESC settings (Which would be weird though because I never turned it off, but its not been used for about 3 years so maybe it somehow reset itself?) Technically its my reverse that's not working. Even though reverse is really my forward which I think makes the reverse turned off idea a possibility.

edit again. im only having issue with the front axle/esc/motor. The rear one works fine as it should so im not attempting to calibrate that one at all.
thanks for your help.
cheers

Last edited by nzcrawl; 05-11-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

But I think you're wrong you want esc to flash correct color lights. In each directions front and rear. Both esc's should flash green in forward. You can correct motor direction @ motor.

Good luck.

Last edited by tapped-out; 05-11-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

It does flash the correct colours. Please just completely ignore my reference to forward or backwards. Its irrelevant.

Lets just simplify it right down and say that my reverse does not work even though the LED flashes red at partial reverse throttle and solid red at full reverse throttle. (it does not make any difference to the trouble shooting what way my wheels are actually spinning)

Any ideas why reverse may not work, even though the LEDs flash correctly / suggest it should?
thanks again, I do appreciate your input
Old 05-11-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If you're using Futaba radio be sure your throttle is set to reverse.
Connect esc to your computer and check your settings and calibration of esc's.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Alrighty I got it figured out.
Reverse was set to off on one of the ESCs. No idea how that happened but anyway.

Also I got this set up proper due to what you said. I changed the motor to run backwards via the ESC, as opposed to how it was setup before which was to reverse the two throttle channels via the radio and not the ESC.

The better solution is obviously to do it via the ESC. That has also fixed the minor annoyance that it always used to be able to go faster in reverse than forwards.

oh and am using dx6i controller with spring added to the throttle so both sticks are self centering

thanks for your help.
keen to get crawling again after quite a long break.
cheers

Last edited by nzcrawl; 05-12-2017 at 01:00 AM.

Advise needed, no forward on front axle of MOA - 2 x sidewinder micro escs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advise needed from U4 Gurus (front end) Bananaclip U4RC 1 07-09-2015 05:00 PM
front axle forward issues... pig bandit Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 07-22-2009 02:34 PM