Notices

Thread: Mamba Monster X or Tekin RX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Mamba Monster X or Tekin RX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
So then I have a couple suggestions to put this ESC in much closer contention with other available choices. Update your website to contain all of this "corrected" info, add a programmable auxiliary wire to switch between drive modes on the fly, and drop the price $60. I still see the Mamba X and MMX being a much better choice because if prices were the same, Castle gives you the aux wire. If Castle didn't have the aux wire it'd still be $60 cheaper. Castle has two clear advantages with all other considerations being equal. Castle also has a higher voltage switch mode BEC handling 8v, or did Tekin update this too?

I'm still not fully understanding how all of the original specifications and limits were posted then updated to be very close to Castle ESC specs (your 4s limit is still a bit low) but I'll take your word for it. Were upgrades made to the ESC or additional testing performed to raise the voltage capabilities and motor limits?
The website is updated and has been for a few months now. The BEC has been a programmable high voltage 8amp since launch and was originally developed on the RX8 platform and implemented on the GEN2 and now improved on the GEN3/RX4.

The specs we chose originally were to separate it from the RX8 as we don't intend this controller to be used in 1/8 and 4WD short course offroad racing applications. It was developed with rock racing and trailing in mind and I didn't see any need to have 5S and 6S ratings since I never see anyone run setups at those voltages. After a few people complained about the input voltage specs, we decided to just let it run up to 6S since it's basically an RX8 in spec anyways. The most common are 2S and 3S with some 4S thrown in here and there. In my testing, I actually prefered the 4S in the YETI/Bomber/EXO types because it was incredibly smooth, low amperage, low temperature and really good mAh mileage. The voltage capability was always there. We did lots of hard bench testing and they handled incredible amounts of current without fault.

The auxiliary wire is an awesome feature, you can bet that it's been on my list for some time now. Now if those dang software engineers could make it work, I'd be ecstatic. It's just software so it should be easy lol

Price I can't really comment on since that is not my area, but I would expect you'll see them come down a bit.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I can only comment that I put an RX4 and ROC 412 1800KV in my scale trail rig, a RC4WD Gelande II D90. It is a heavy rig and the system handles it great. I used a Hotlink to fine tune the ESC, which was a simple process. Now it drives smoothly and the price was on the upper end but I will pay the premium to have a real and knowledgeable person on the end of their helpline. I have used it and they were great. I have been using Tekin for a long time, and they have been worth the money.

Walt
Walterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterf View Post
I can only comment that I put an RX4 and ROC 412 1800KV in my scale trail rig, a RC4WD Gelande II D90. It is a heavy rig and the system handles it great. I used a Hotlink to fine tune the ESC, which was a simple process. Now it drives smoothly and the price was on the upper end but I will pay the premium to have a real and knowledgeable person on the end of their helpline. I have used it and they were great. I have been using Tekin for a long time, and they have been worth the money.

Walt
Walt, where do you have your throttle frequency set right now?
Old 06-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
Sorry for the late reply, I have it set at 6KHz. Do you have a better recommendation?

Walt
Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I was always a castle guy.. Then I tried Tekin for a couple years.. No problems with Tekin.. Still don't dislike them, but I recently switched back to the Mamba X. I will never go back to Tekin.. Just my thought..
Tommy23490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Any updates on the rx4 ? Been looking at them. Hot wire? Price seems to still be the same. How do these crawl compared to the mama x? When on a hill, if I apply throttle, will it just slowlyove or will it realease the brake instantly making the transition from drag brake to accelerate bad. Upsetting the chassis in a peculiar position can cause a roll over. Just curious since I don't know anyone that runs an rx4.

Also, how does an rsx handle rock crawling in regards to drag brake.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

I have liked it in my D90. It has been smooth and predictable. The Hotwire is great for adjusting the ESC very simple and user friendly.

I have liked the system so much I bought another with the new Roc 412 2300kv Element proof motor to put in my C2 build SCX10 2. I am still waiting on parts to come in so I can finish the build and put it on the trail. I will let you know how it does after I run it.

Walt
Old 01-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

I was able to put my SCX10 2 on the trail yesterday, and it was very smooth, the ability to come off brake and gently apply throttle was no problem. Drag brake was a little strong had mine set to 100% will be turning it down a little. No problems stopping it on a hill. Overall very pleased with the RX4 and ROC 412 2300kv motor running off of a 3s battery. Runtime was good had a little under 1/2 the battery left of a 4100mah 3s after over 2 hours
Old 08-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #29

I am new to RC Crawling as well. I have a TRX4 that I blew the BEC in the ESC on. I went to my local shop and they suggested I replace the ESC with a Mamba monster X and add a castle stand alone BEC as I am using the Savox monster steering servo that blew the first ESC. I also replaced the stock motor with a Tekin Roc412 EP sensoered setup. Did I dothe right thing or am I just going to toast more electronics?
VancouverScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverScott View Post
I am new to RC Crawling as well. I have a TRX4 that I blew the BEC in the ESC on. I went to my local shop and they suggested I replace the ESC with a Mamba monster X and add a castle stand alone BEC as I am using the Savox monster steering servo that blew the first ESC. I also replaced the stock motor with a Tekin Roc412 EP sensoered setup. Did I dothe right thing or am I just going to toast more electronics?

Great setup, you will be quite happy.
Make sure you pick up a castle link so you can utilize the features in the X. JRH has a great slow speed setup video on YouTube . He goes thru the whole menu and it will make a huge performance difference and control

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:44 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

JRH is the owner for holmes hobbies. So look for the Holmes Hobbies ch on YouTube for that video.

Only cause VancouverScott is new here, welcome to the forums.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 08-28-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #32

Quote:
You seemed shocked he had a smooth drive with the RX4 and ROC412. Just curious why you asked this question? Or maybe I was just reading into your comment more than what is there - easy to do in text.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:57 PM   #33

Thank you for posting this video. I had no idea about the exponetial curve on the throttle. As soon as my castle link gets here this week I am going to set that up. Again thenk you for the solid info.
VancouverScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverScott View Post
Thank you for posting this video. I had no idea about the exponetial curve on the throttle. As soon as my castle link gets here this week I am going to set that up. Again thenk you for the solid info.

I will recommend to make three or four curves, with different starting points to save and try. I think I went thru six until I found what I needed for my setup, subtle differences can make a big difference in your control

Hang up and Drive
Old 08-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You seemed shocked he had a smooth drive with the RX4 and ROC412. Just curious why you asked this question? Or maybe I was just reading into your comment more than what is there - easy to do in text.
Not shocked at all, was just going to suggest he try 12kHz on throttle frequency to smooth it out even more.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Not shocked at all, was just going to suggest he try 12kHz on throttle frequency to smooth it out even more.
That's why I asked for clarification. Thanks for responding.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #37
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Lower frequencies can be a bit "punchy". Some people may notice it, some people may not. Depends on a lot of setup factors and the driver's experience.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Lower frequencies can be a bit "punchy". Some people may notice it, some people may not. Depends on a lot of setup factors and the driver's experience.
so where does dithered come in with punch ?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I know this is an old thread but I donīt want to start another because my questions are about choosing and ESC

I am in the market for an ESC+Motor combo for my new crawler project. I think that it will be heavy 10 lbs, I notice that the popular Mamba X is recommended for vehicle weight Less than 9lbs/4kg

I have another rig (scx10 truggy) that weights around 11 lbs but I notice some heating issues using Holmes TrailMaster BLE Pro + Puller Pro BL (2700kV) so I don't want the same brand,

Now I am considering the TEKIN RX4 so here are my questions:

Is the RX4 ESC suitable for heavy rigs (10-12 lbs)?

Which motor should I choose, ROC 412 or ROC 412HD?

Do you think 2300kV will be a good option?

PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ELECTRONICS FOR EXTREME HEAVY RIGS

Last edited by antigacho; 04-17-2019 at 09:45 PM.
antigacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Weight ratings have next to no impact on use in crawlers since they are so much easier on the ESC than a racer/basher. A Mamba X or RX4 would be fine in a crawler of any weight unless you plan on racing it around at full throttle all the time.

As for the motor, it comes down to how much wheelspeed you want out of the setup and how much gear reduction you have available.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mamba Monster X or Tekin RX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RX4 Odd-M Electronics 48 03-12-2017 06:49 PM
New TEKIN RX4 ESC Open for Pre-Order! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-08-2016 08:35 AM
Tekin replacement for Mamba Monster? Pabust Electronics 6 03-28-2013 08:02 PM
CC Mamba Monster or Tekin RX8 norbyx Electronics 2 07-24-2010 01:05 PM