Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Monster X or Tekin RX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 12:01 AM   #1

Default Mamba Monster X or Tekin RX4

Well like it says the Mamba or the RX4? I would like to put one of these into my Bomber but I am wondering what everyones opinions on these may be. I currently own a Tekin RX8 in my SC8 a Tekin FXR in my SCX10. So I am very happy with the Tekin products but they are big bucks and the RX4 is not cheap either. As for Castle stuff I have owned a few in the past and have never really thought they were anything special. I am assuming they must have gotten better but was looking for some feedback from the lot of you to give me your pro's and cons. Thanks in advane.

Slider_z33
Slider_z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mamba Monster X or Tekin RX4

Only get the Mamba Monster X or Mamba X if you want a better ESC for $60 less.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:26 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Never used Tekin. I have had my Monster Extreme ESC for few months and very happy with it, The ESC never get hot easily even under extreme load on my heavy Wraith. One thing I like the most was it is also waterproof. Thank you Monster Extreme
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:27 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I like tekin for the ability to change the settings with just the 2 buttons, but I've been looking at the Tekin bomber, and I think Ty from tekin has an onboard Hotwire in his RX box that is adjusted by blue tooth...I've been wanting an RX4 since they came out.

I'm not too knowledgable about castle products, I do have a 1/10 castle motor in my MERV, but that's neither here nor there.

I have three HolmesHobbies systems , and I guess they are sorta like castle products? And each of them works flawlessly, so like like those ones.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Only get the Mamba Monster X or Mamba X if you want a better ESC for $60 less.
Lol ok got ya, I have heard lots of things and just want to see what people are using more. THanks for the info.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Never used Tekin. I have had my Monster Extreme ESC for few months and very happy with it, The ESC never get hot easily even under extreme load on my heavy Wraith. One thing I like the most was it is also waterproof. Thank you Monster Extreme
I have talked to a few people now who have the Monster Extreme and they have said the same thing the waterproof feature is amazing. I am leaning towards the castle because it is like the above said $60 less and is just as or more capable.
Thanks
Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
I like tekin for the ability to change the settings with just the 2 buttons, but I've been looking at the Tekin bomber, and I think Ty from tekin has an onboard Hotwire in his RX box that is adjusted by blue tooth...I've been wanting an RX4 since they came out.

I'm not too knowledgable about castle products, I do have a 1/10 castle motor in my MERV, but that's neither here nor there.

I have three HolmesHobbies systems , and I guess they are sorta like castle products? And each of them works flawlessly, so like like those ones.
Holmes Hobbies I know nothing about but I hear they are a great product from some others. I guess I will have to see whats in stock and keep asking around.

Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
RCC Addict

also very happy with my monster x, what i like is the aux feature especially with the new rockracer mode . regarding waterproof yes the esc is really good sealed, but the switch needs some extra sealing (i used liquid pvc spray for )

Gesendet von meinem T1-A21L mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #9

I'm similar to you in that I'm a big Tekin fan and I was never a Castle fan. The new X series is better than the Castle of old. The auxiliary wire, alone, is reason to buy the X series if you're going to have a dual purpose rig (crawling and going fast). I got my Monster X when there was still software bugs. I fought tooth and nail to get that thing working and thankfully Robert@Castle stepped in to help. If not for the auxiliary wire I would have given up on it and returned it for a Tekin.

With that being said, I'm sure the RX4 will be stout and reliable like everything Tekin makes.

Tekin and the rest need to come up with an auxiliary wire of their own.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

It's not just the Aux wire that Tekin is lacking, although that alone is a good enough reason to choose the Mamba X over others. Tekin also has a 4S voltage limit. Do I run 5s and 6s? Hell no but I'd rather under use an ESCs capability than always run it at its maximum threshold. Tekin's RX4 motor limits are also way too low. 4400kv on 2s, 3100kv on 3s, and 2300kv on 4s are you kidding me? Again, I'd rather choose my motor kv and battery voltage than be limited to these options. I'm running 3500kv on 3s and 2200kv to 2650kv on 4s as are many others. Castle also doesn't limit you to unsensored operation when wet conditions exist. Sorry Tekin, too little too late, and for way too much money for such a limited ESC. Castle is the clear winner any way you look at it.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #11

Quote:
It's not just the Aux wire that Tekin is lacking, although that alone is a good enough reason to choose the Mamba X over others. Tekin also has a 4S voltage limit. Do I run 5s and 6s? Hell no but I'd rather under use an ESCs capability than always run it at its maximum threshold. Tekin's RX4 motor limits are also way too low. 4400kv on 2s, 3100kv on 3s, and 2300kv on 4s are you kidding me? Again, I'd rather choose my motor kv and battery voltage than be limited to these options. I'm running 3500kv on 3s and 2200kv to 2650kv on 4s as are many others. Castle also doesn't limit you to unsensored operation when wet conditions exist. Sorry Tekin, too little too late, and for way too much money for such a limited ESC. Castle is the clear winner any way you look at it.
I think 4S or more is crazy in any of these rigs, but that's personal preference and those are good points.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Tekin is going to be releasing weather proof motors of the ROC variety soon. Sadly, that's all the details I have. :-(
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:26 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

About damn time!!! This is the only reason I never even look at Tekin for any of my rigs. I hope they come out sooner than later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
Tekin is going to be releasing weather proof motors of the ROC variety soon. Sadly, that's all the details I have. :-(
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
I'm pretty sure Ty said they were in stock so they should be shipping soon.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
The RX4 has a 6S limit, we changed that back shortly after the initial release. No crawler you can put the RX4 in will put it anywhere close to it's maximum power handling threshold, unless you know of a setup that will pull a constant 1000+ amps.

As for the motor ratings, we base those off the ROC412 motor kVs to keep them in a safe RPM range as they are the motor we intend the ESC to be used with. They are suggested motor kVs at each voltage. Tekin - RX4 Hardbox Rock Crawling ESC

Motor Limit Brushless Mode: 2S - 5700kV 4-pole
3S - 3500kV 4-pole
4S - 2300kV 4-pole
5S - 1800kV 4-pole
6S - 1200kV 4-pole

As for the sensorless "waterproof" status, we are no different from Castle or anyone else. All this means is you need to grease your sensor connections, because these can never be 100% waterproof. If they do get wet, we simply ignore them and switch to a sensorless drive seamlessly. This doesn't mean the RX4 is only waterproof without a sensor cable, it just means we can't guarantee your sensor connections to be waterproof as we have no control over how the grease is applied or what motor you're plugging in on the other end. Again, we are no different than any others that claim to be waterproof.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
RCC Addict

^ Responses like this are why companies like Tekin are able to maintain the confidence of their customers, unlike some manufacturers (or reps) who act like 12 year old's. Thanks Ty
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
The RX4 has a 6S limit, we changed that back shortly after the initial release. No crawler you can put the RX4 in will put it anywhere close to it's maximum power handling threshold, unless you know of a setup that will pull a constant 1000+ amps.

Constant 1000+ amps???? I'd be flat out floor'd if it would handle 200a for 3-4 seconds.... I am more then willing to test that

I'd love to give the RX4 a shot... I love my FX-r's. Heck I remember running a Tekin Titan on my first clod about 20 years ago. Every Tekin Brushless system I have ran I haven't loved. From 1/8 GT, 1/8 Buggy and truggy, 1/10 stadium, 1/10 carpet, and 1/10 shortcourse with an 1/8 scale system. I just have a mental block against paying more for something I feel i'm gambling on. I have 5 Mamba Monster X's running at the moment, I have had 2 failures, Castle took care of them, even after explaining it was my fault..

I'm currently building a B2b, I'd love to save some space and run a Tekin ESC Hint hint. However I already have a MMX for it
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post

As for the motor ratings, we base those off the ROC412 motor kVs to keep them in a safe RPM range as they are the motor we intend the ESC to be used with. They are suggested motor kVs at each voltage. Tekin - RX4 Hardbox Rock Crawling ESC

Motor Limit Brushless Mode: 2S - 5700kV 4-pole
3S - 3500kV 4-pole
4S - 2300kV 4-pole
5S - 1800kV 4-pole
6S - 1200kV 4-pole

As for the sensorless "waterproof" status, we are no different from Castle or anyone else. All this means is you need to grease your sensor connections, because these can never be 100% waterproof. If they do get wet, we simply ignore them and switch to a sensorless drive seamlessly. This doesn't mean the RX4 is only waterproof without a sensor cable, it just means we can't guarantee your sensor connections to be waterproof as we have no control over how the grease is applied or what motor you're plugging in on the other end. Again, we are no different than any others that claim to be waterproof.
So then I have a couple suggestions to put this ESC in much closer contention with other available choices. Update your website to contain all of this "corrected" info, add a programmable auxiliary wire to switch between drive modes on the fly, and drop the price $60. I still see the Mamba X and MMX being a much better choice because if prices were the same, Castle gives you the aux wire. If Castle didn't have the aux wire it'd still be $60 cheaper. Castle has two clear advantages with all other considerations being equal. Castle also has a higher voltage switch mode BEC handling 8v, or did Tekin update this too?

I'm still not fully understanding how all of the original specifications and limits were posted then updated to be very close to Castle ESC specs (your 4s limit is still a bit low) but I'll take your word for it. Were upgrades made to the ESC or additional testing performed to raise the voltage capabilities and motor limits?
Old 06-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #19

This is all amazing information. I am obviously a Tekin guy from the start and would like to stick with the line and hearing the information that is being stated now makes it more difficult. The only factor so far is the price point. SO it is still up in the air for me at the moment.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #20

Quote:
So then I have a couple suggestions to put this ESC in much closer contention with other available choices. Update your website to contain all of this "corrected" info, add a programmable auxiliary wire to switch between drive modes on the fly, and drop the price $60. I still see the Mamba X and MMX being a much better choice because if prices were the same, Castle gives you the aux wire. If Castle didn't have the aux wire it'd still be $60 cheaper. Castle has two clear advantages with all other considerations being equal. Castle also has a higher voltage switch mode BEC handling 8v, or did Tekin update this too?

I'm still not fully understanding how all of the original specifications and limits were posted then updated to be very close to Castle ESC specs (your 4s limit is still a bit low) but I'll take your word for it. Were upgrades made to the ESC or additional testing performed to raise the voltage capabilities and motor limits?
I hope Ty chimes in on this one.

I would absolutely love to see an auxiliary wire on the RX4! I'm not sure if Castle patented the auxiliary wire, but even if they did I'm sure there are ways around it.

Tekin historically has much higher quality than Castle and a lot of people are willing to pay a premium for this. The new Castle ESCs seem a hell of a lot better though.

As far as the specs, Tekin typically underrates their ESCs. The physical components may not have changed. It's possible that they just changed the advertised specs and are still well within the limits of the ESC.

This is my speculation and, again, I hope Ty chimes in.

Mamba Monster X or Tekin RX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RX4 Odd-M Electronics 48 03-12-2017 06:49 PM
New TEKIN RX4 ESC Open for Pre-Order! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-08-2016 08:35 AM
Tekin replacement for Mamba Monster? Pabust Electronics 6 03-28-2013 08:02 PM
CC Mamba Monster or Tekin RX8 norbyx Electronics 2 07-24-2010 01:05 PM