Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Whats more important - ESC or Motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Whats more important - ESC or Motor?

Hi all,

Bout to buy a Twin Hammers clone for a custom project and I am trying to figure out a decent sensored waterproof brushless setup which doesnt cost 3x the amount of the rig!

I want the ability to still crawl as well as possible but then have a roughly 30mph top speed. The TH 2 speed trans will help with this.

No holds barred choice would be the new CC Mamba X with 2850kv slate motor. But thats tipping the scale at over $300aud landed.

So i have been deep down the rabbit hole comparing all of the other ESC options out there from the likes of SkyRC, Hobbyking, Yeah Racing, Hobbystar.

I have found this ESC - Hobbyking 70a Sensored Waterproof

And then was thinking of pairing it with a - CC 2850kv Slate motor which are in the scheme of things, reasonably priced at $100aud.

But there are cheaper options for a sensored brushless motor.

So my question is, am I better off spending more on the esc than the motor? I would like to get out of it for less than $150.

I also know that a sensored motor needs to be made waterproof...and even then its still not going to love water.

Cheers
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Whats more important - ESC or Motor?

Or do i gear down a few teeth and let the low gear in the transmission do the work and go with a waterproof sensorless setup iike this? HobbyStar 1/10 Waterproof Combo, 60A Brushless ESC, 4-Pole 3100KV Motor RC Car | eBay
Old 08-01-2017, 12:25 AM   #3

You mean ESCs+Motors within $150?
betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yes motor and esc for $150.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The ESC is the most important thing if you aren't doing dead-serious crawling. Even cheap motors will give you tons of power, they'll just be a little less efficient. Cheap ESC's will go up in smoke pretty quick when bashing hard, and even good ESC's can give up with enough bashing. I like to just go complete overkill with the ESC, so you only buy once.

That said there are a couple 120-150A esc's out there that work well (HobbyWing/Trackstar/SkyRC/etc). Most are in the $65-110 range, with the upper end having sensored capabilities. They're designed for 4074 motors, so they simply laugh at 3650 motors like the 1406. You can do 2-4S if you want.

The 70A model may be enough, but if not then you're out $32+ and need to spend more anyways.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:18 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
The ESC is the most important thing if you aren't doing dead-serious crawling. Even cheap motors will give you tons of power, they'll just be a little less efficient. Cheap ESC's will go up in smoke pretty quick when bashing hard, and even good ESC's can give up with enough bashing. I like to just go complete overkill with the ESC, so you only buy once.

That said there are a couple 120-150A esc's out there that work well (HobbyWing/Trackstar/SkyRC/etc). Most are in the $65-110 range, with the upper end having sensored capabilities. They're designed for 4074 motors, so they simply laugh at 3650 motors like the 1406. You can do 2-4S if you want.

The 70A model may be enough, but if not then you're out $32+ and need to spend more anyways.
Basically came to the same conclusion so pulled the trigger on a Mamba X!

Will thrash the trackstar 13.5t the used TH I bought comes with til it dies and then grab the Slate motor.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Whats more important - ESC or Motor? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats more important for performance? Esc or Motor? littlebuddha Electronics 3 06-20-2016 08:50 PM
whats the best motor and esc to use in the scx10 Icer.One Axial SCX-10 28 11-11-2012 04:20 PM
whats the best esc/motor combo for the lnc? newblnc Team Losi Comp Crawler 1 04-11-2011 11:35 PM
Whats a good motor for STOCK ESC? it8ezbngrn Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 21 04-05-2009 11:35 AM