Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle Link

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Castle Link

Is the only difference between the field programming card and the regular V3 the ability to do it on the fly with the card? I don't want to lose in depth tuning ability buying it and not the actual plug into your computer tuning chip. Thanks
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Castle Link

They can both plug into your computer. The field card just does both on the computer and in the field

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
excabswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

All functions CARD only are only had when card is plugged into computer. Get both

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

But if the field card works the same as the link, why buy both? I would like to know as I have a coupon for a free link or a discount on the card from when I bought the crawler/mamba X combo. I do bring my netbook sometimes out in the field but I was considering getting the card just to cut down on the amount of crap I bring if I'm going for a long weekend somewhere. With having a GF, 2 dogs and a habit of packing the house my turbo forester gets filled up real quick.
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The card can only do certain things in the field. Get the castle link and bring a tablet with you.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yup, card by itself is limited. Great for brakes and reversing, no power start level adj, no curves ...

Hang up and Drive
Old 08-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Just basic things like dragbrake and lipo cutoff voltage when using the feildlink card, only the real major things that would apply for crawling would have to be done on a pc. If I only owned crawlers, I wouldn't even have the feildlink card for that reason. As noted above it does plug into your pc with a usb/micro usb cord. My tablet doubles as a PC instead of cell phone format and keep it in my backpack while out crawling, certainly comes in handy.

If you need a code for a Castle link shoot me a pm and I can give you one.. I really dont need another one at this point having a feild link and probably 2 regular pc links in my toolbox.

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 08-02-2017 at 06:36 PM.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

thanks fellas. I guess I'll be getting a tablet of some kind then. I don't own a home PC and all the computers here at work are firewalled from allowing those sort of applications. I still haven't been able to download all my programs on my superchips tuner for my Rubicon, now I'll have another reason to pull the trigger so I can do both the 1:1 and little crawlers.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The Fieldlink card works just like the Castle link if you plug in into a computer. Full functionality. At least mine does. No need to buy the Castle link if you already have the card.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
The Fieldlink card works just like the Castle link if you plug in into a computer. Full functionality. At least mine does. No need to buy the Castle link if you already have the card.
I don't have either as of yet, making the decision which to get. Sounds like most guys feel like you need the actual computer to adjust most of what we as crawlers like to adjust, so the fieldlink may be over doing it for me. especially if I buy a windows based tablet and throw in my backpack.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

A while back I picked up an HP Stream 7" tablet preloaded with Windows 8.1 - got the free Windows 10 upgrade, full OS - not a tablet version of it. Direct from Microsoft Store online for a total of $75.

Got a soft cover with an identically-sized Bluetooth keyboard for another $30 on Amazon.

I'm gonna load the Castle app in it for in-the-field tuning.

Probably only need to do it once, then use the Aux wire and 3rd channel switch on my Futaba 3PV radio to change between 2 modes only from then on.

It'll fit in a backpack with the rig and batteries and radio easy enough!
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
A while back I picked up an HP Stream 7" tablet preloaded with Windows 8.1 - got the free Windows 10 upgrade, full OS - not a tablet version of it. Direct from Microsoft Store online for a total of $75.

Got a soft cover with an identically-sized Bluetooth keyboard for another $30 on Amazon.

I'm gonna load the Castle app in it for in-the-field tuning.

Probably only need to do it once, then use the Aux wire and 3rd channel switch on my Futaba 3PV radio to change between 2 modes only from then on.

It'll fit in a backpack with the rig and batteries and radio easy enough!
I thought about buying one of those. How slow is that machine?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Not too bad, I use my Google project Fi hotspot. The MS Store products are running a optimized version of the OS with bloatware removed. I installed a pretty large and fast SD card, too. Ideally, Castle should come up with mobile apps for their Link software. That would be perfect!!!

Last edited by durok; 08-04-2017 at 08:31 AM.
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

While at axialnfest i ran in to a guy who only had a field card and it was way out of date i lent him my laptop and my castle link and he was able to update his programing card and programed his crawler at the same time i set my rig up and i only hook up.to th3 link when i need to change something maybe 2 times a year the programing card sounds nice but the caetle link is a must in my opinion anyway

Last edited by ferp420; 08-04-2017 at 09:14 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
I don't have either as of yet, making the decision which to get. Sounds like most guys feel like you need the actual computer to adjust most of what we as crawlers like to adjust, so the fieldlink may be over doing it for me. especially if I buy a windows based tablet and throw in my backpack.
Just now sent the code to ya. Hope it helps you get the MMP dialed to your needs. Don't forget your tablet when going out Rc'ing. Also download the program for free off Castles site, not sure if theres an app in Google Play for it? which is a good question, I'm going to see if its in the app store now.

Usually free things take a little while longer to get in your mailbox as opposed to purchased things, I received mine in about 9 days
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Not too bad, I use my Google project Fi hotspot. The MS Store products are running a optimized version of the OS with bloatware removed. I installed a pretty large and fast SD card, too. Ideally, Castle should come up with mobile apps for their Link software. That would be perfect!!!
I use pc at home with CastleLink, but they really should come up with app for Iphone and Android.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
Just now sent the code to ya. Hope it helps you get the MMP dialed to your needs. Don't forget your tablet when going out Rc'ing. Also download the program for free off Castles site, not sure if theres an app in Google Play for it? which is a good question, I'm going to see if its in the app store now.

Usually free things take a little while longer to get in your mailbox as opposed to purchased things, I received mine in about 9 days
I got it ordered first thing this morning when I sat down at work... pre coffee and bagel even

This is the kind of thing I love to see in a community. People helping people. I'm proud to say I'm now firmly imbedded in this community of RC enthusiasts and will be for quite some time. I appreciate it again man, I really do.

So next question, after installing my roc412 and mmp, I now know just what a pain in the ass disassembling a bomber is, anyone have a tip of where/how to mount the esc to make it easily accessible for tuning
Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
I got it ordered first thing this morning when I sat down at work... pre coffee and bagel even

This is the kind of thing I love to see in a community. People helping people. I'm proud to say I'm now firmly imbedded in this community of RC enthusiasts and will be for quite some time. I appreciate it again man, I really do.

So next question, after installing my roc412 and mmp, I now know just what a pain in the ass disassembling a bomber is, anyone have a tip of where/how to mount the esc to make it easily accessible for tuning

Not a bomber guy, but Castle makes a little cable accessory that lets you plug your link into a "spare" port, I use it on my Yeti as the rx is buried

Hang up and Drive
Old 08-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Not a bomber guy, but Castle makes a little cable accessory that lets you plug your link into a "spare" port, I use it on my Yeti as the rx is buried

Hang up and Drive
looks like castle will get a second order today, thank you.

Edit: found it
Old 08-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Save yourself the money, all you need to run is a 6" extension so it puts the esc plug outside the rx box.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote