Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Kyosho Blizzard Electronics upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Kyosho Blizzard Electronics upgrade

Hi everyone, this Christmas I got a Kyosho blizzard FR, it wasn't long before I ended up burning up a drive motor. After that I upgraded both drive motors to dromida speed secret 22t brushed motors still running on the stock esc's, worked well for a good while and then the left esc failed. Now I am looking to upgrade to a sabertooth 2x12a esc and possibly new motors. I've been researching and I thing the sabertooth would be a good option but I'm also open to a dual esc setup, I don't think I want to go brushless though. I have a few questions regarding the sabertooth, would I still be able to run my dromida 22t motors or would I need to upgrade right away? Also I'm looking for torque rather than speed, I thought it was plenty quick enough out of the box and I'm running metal tracks so that could add a bit of stress also. I saw a few videos where the 370 size motors couldn't handle the sabertooth esc but 380s worked fine. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EXTREME RC 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Kyosho Blizzard Electronics upgrade

Well...I was all set to link you to my Kyosho Blizzard build thread, but I can't seem to find it on any of the forums I post on. I must've forgotten to write one.

I installed a couple cheap 4000KV 370-size brushless motors and a couple cheap 1/18-scale brushless ESCs. Works great.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Well...I was all set to link you to my Kyosho Blizzard build thread, but I can't seem to find it on any of the forums I post on. I must've forgotten to write one.

I installed a couple cheap 4000KV 370-size brushless motors and a couple cheap 1/18-scale brushless ESCs. Works great.

Thanks for the help, do you thing you have better torque or pushing power over factory?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EXTREME RC 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I'm running the Sabretooth on the stock motors and I think it's a great balance of speed and torque. I don't know what the stock motors are though (I just haven't put that much time into the Blizzard yet so I'm still figuring it out). I've never really tested the limits of how much torque it has, The only times I've used the blade was in snow so I ran out of traction before I ran out of torque.

Not sure about your question on 22t motors, that seems like a detail you should be able to get from the folks that make the Sabretooth?
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME RC 4X4 View Post
Thanks for the help, do you thing you have better torque or pushing power over factory?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Better torque for sure, but what I was aiming for with the 4000KV motors I used was higher speed. You could probably drop down to 2500KV and get the stock speed with better torque.

Extra torque won't do much good without the rubber-and-metal caterpillar treads, though. The stock plastic treads don't provide much grip, and they get stiff in snow.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #6

Does anyone know of a way I can eliminate the stock radio so I can use a pistol grip transmitter? A sabre tooth esc won't work because I have dual brushless motors and escs installed. That esc is for brushed motors I believe. I've spoken to 2 local hobby and researched it on the internet but can't get a detailed answer. Thanks sooo much for any insight.
stony30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stony30 View Post
Does anyone know of a way I can eliminate the stock radio so I can use a pistol grip transmitter? A sabre tooth esc won't work because I have dual brushless motors and escs installed. That esc is for brushed motors I believe. I've spoken to 2 local hobby and researched it on the internet but can't get a detailed answer. Thanks sooo much for any insight.
You need what's called a tank mixer. They take throttle and steering signals from a radio and convert it to output for tank tracks.

Here is an example of one:
https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/RC-Acc.../Tankmixer.htm
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #8

Thanks so much. I will check that out.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #9

I assume that's differant from an airplane v-tail mixer ?
Old 02-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #10

Would you happen to know what is that switch on the stock transmitter next to the reverse adjustments that's labeled " v-mix?" There is NO mention of its function in the manual. It is on the very front of the transmitter.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #11

Any of you Blizzard owners. Do you know what that "v-mix" switch on your stock transmitter does ?
Old 02-24-2020, 04:20 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The v mix on the controller allows you to have forward/ reverse on 1 stick and turning on another. That's how I have mine setup throttle on the left steering on the right.

For motors I went with redcat 380 motors and 2 hobbywing 1080 esc. The blizzard should have come with 380 motors in the first place in my opinion. The motors run cool and longer then the stock 370 ones that it comes with. The redcat motors have 0 timing so they can run either direction at the same rpm. I looked at the saber tooth but decided if decided I didn't care for running the blizzard anymore I would at least have 2 hobbywing 1080.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote