Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: waterproofing a Hobbywing 10BL60 sensored

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default waterproofing a Hobbywing 10BL60 sensored

I've got a (not waterproof) hobbywing ESC in the mail and i have a few questions:

can you bypass the on switch on a hobbywing ESC to make it always on? (plug in battery, turns on.) or if not, how do you waterproof it? do you need to waterproof the programming/sensor ports? if yes, do i use dielectric grease? if yes, how do i apply it, just put it in the port then put the connector in?
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: waterproofing a Hobbywing 10BL60 sensored

I imagine you'll need to coat the board with a conformal coating at the every least and maybe some plastidip to keep water out of the casing. This actually may be tricky with the setup of the heatsink. If it's easy to disassemble it may give you an idea of what to do when you open it up.

The switch might be simply a case of wiring the leads together or at least the leads inside the switch to make it always on. Then some plastidip.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

To waterproof the ESC's i've done, i removed the board completely then gave it 1 generous coat of Silicone conformal coating. You get other conformal coatings but silicone is best long term with heat and moisture. I usually sit it overnight before putting it back in the case, especially if it's a thick coat i've applied
I also filled the bottom of my case with dielectric grease, then place the board back in. The dielectric grease in the bottom helps prevent water for sitting in there. I don't use it on the upper half of the board though as i found dirt often got in the ESC's that i used and it made a right mess mixed with grease.
Most people don't use the grease that way and have no issues though

The conformal coating and grease will cause more heat to be trapped though so temps will rise a bit. If you're not running near the limit normally it's not an issue.
Dielectrical grease on any ports and connections is a good idea as well and apply it often, as water can wash it away eventually.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

the thing with the power switch is that it's a button, not a switch, so i assume it can't be hardwired.
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

If you get higher temps with grease/coating, you're doing something wrong. Dielectric grease has a much higher thermal conductivity than air, 0.167 W/m C vs 0.033 at 135C. A thin conformal coat won't create much of a barrier and has similar properties to the plastic used for the mosfet's case.

You should never conformal coat the part of a component where it touches a heatsink, only use thermal grease or a thermal pad. For a mosfet, you only need to coat the metal tab & legs and any gap around it's base.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Corrosion X is what I use in my boats, this stuff has never failed me on an esc, reciever, or servo, even when completely dunked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4z8...GHiTUF4VqYPZfg
TAMELESSTGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Not sure about the 10BL60, but I have the Justock 60A in my son's Bomber. I epoxied around the outside of the case sealing in all of the seams. I used dielectric grease at the sensor port. While I don't submerge it, it does get wet frequently. It runs just fine.
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote

waterproofing a Hobbywing 10BL60 sensored - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worth waterproofing Hobbywing ESC? e32lover Electronics 2 09-01-2015 07:59 AM
HobbyWing 3400kv Sensored Xerun Gearing and settings? OkinawaCrawler Axial Yeti 16 04-02-2015 10:54 PM
HobbyWing QuicRun WP-10BL60 review. GLwagon Electronics 5 12-28-2014 09:14 PM
Hobbywing Xerun Sensored brushless combo. Neeley Electronics 2 01-20-2012 04:47 AM