Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #81

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

If you want you can visit my channel on YouTube "scale wizz adventures" and see what I say.
awizner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #82

Hello,
I own a RR10 Bomber running a puller pro, ble pro, and SHV500 v2. I previously had the shv500 v1 but about a month ago it started to act up. It lost all its torque and would not turn to the right. I sent it in under warranty and Holmes sent me the SHV500 v2. Great customer service However after only running my truck once since then this new servo is now acting up. When I plug the battery in the servo begins to twitch and make odd noises. When attempting to turn the wheels the servo acts glitchy and makes a loud noise. It also doesn't have as much torque as it first did. It almost is acting like it needs a bec but it get direct power from the jst plug thats attached to the batter power wires on the esc ??? Does anyone know what it could be? I thought it might be a burnt receiver but I swapped that out and it changed nothing. Could it be the esc? I do not put my bomber through abnormal abuse, infact the last time I took it out I went pretty light on it. Any feed back would be great. This bomber has been a major head ache ever since I built it.

Last edited by Megalodon; 11-15-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:56 AM   #83
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
Hello,
I own a RR10 Bomber running a puller pro, ble pro, and SHV500 v2. I previously had the shv500 v1 but about a month ago it started to act up. It lost all its torque and would not turn to the right. I sent it in under warranty and Holmes sent me the SHV500 v2. Great customer service However after only running my truck once since then this new servo is now acting up. When I plug the battery in the servo begins to twitch and make odd noises. When attempting to turn the wheels the servo acts glitchy and makes a loud noise. It also doesn't have as much torque as it first did. It almost is acting like it needs a bec but it get direct power from the jst plug thats attached to the batter power wires on the esc ??? Does anyone know what it could be? I thought it might be a burnt receiver but I swapped that out and it changed nothing. Could it be the esc? I do not put my bomber through abnormal abuse, infact the last time I took it out I went pretty light on it. Any feed back would be great. This bomber has been a major head ache ever since I built it.
I would contact holmes hobbies direct. He will be able to quickly address your issue. My guess is your going to have to send it in.
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #84
RCC Addict

maybe a stupid question but i can't find an answer by my self.
in the description of the hv500v2 is mentioned to use dielectric grease on the board to improve water resistance. here in germany i can't find dielectric grease, but i have special grease which is used for car battery poles to prevent corrosion and sparks is it the same and can i use this. also mentioned to use marine grease on the gears, just lube the gears or fill the top up to a specified level? (and if so how much to use). will do the recommendations before i submarine my rig with the new servo.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Default Have tech questions? Will answer.

Use a good quality lube on the faces and pivots. Too much gums things up and attracts grit.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by awizner View Post
If you want you can visit my channel on YouTube "scale wizz adventures" and see what I say.
Are you using a external BEC, if not you may be having a brownout from over loading the esc's internal BEC. JMT
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:03 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
Could it be the esc?
I wouldn't rule it out, do you have another you can use to test with?

Hows the wiring for the servo power could it be damaged?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I wouldn't rule it out, do you have another you can use to test with?

Hows the wiring for the servo power could it be damaged?
Yeah thats the next step. Im going to take my savox out of my scx10 and try it paired with this esc. It doesnt get power the same way but I figure ill still try it. Also from what I can see the wire leads look fine. If the savox works fine with this esc I might try and re soder the wires.
Megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:20 AM   #89

Hey there john,
Wondering about comparison speeds with your puller pro standard motors,
Looking to get about the same speed (or a little faster) of a 3500 on 3s, but on 4s (have a bunch of 2s batteries that can be used in series)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ascenderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Run 4s with the 3500kv. If not, 2700kv and 4s will be a hair faster then 3500kv on 3s.

3500 * 12.6 = 44,100 rpm.
2700 * 16.8 = 45,360 rpm.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #91
Rock Crawler

Help me find an ESC...please!

I just nabbed a puller pro R, and all the ESCs that I own aren’t rated for 4100kv, so is it going to be a big deal to hook up my BLE, RX8 G2s, RX4, or RX8 G3 to this motor? The first 3 of these ESCs warranty’s have expired months ago.

I could order a MMX, but then I’d have to change the bullets on the motor, or is it common to make adapter wires for motors, like a 3” wires with 4mm bullets on the motor end, and 6.5mm bullets on the ESC end?

And finally how long before the...BEC-less Servo is back in stock. I can’t recall it’s name.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
Help me find an ESC...please!

I just nabbed a puller pro R, and all the ESCs that I own aren’t rated for 4100kv, so is it going to be a big deal to hook up my BLE, RX8 G2s, RX4, or RX8 G3 to this motor? The first 3 of these ESCs warranty’s have expired months ago.

I could order a MMX, but then I’d have to change the bullets on the motor, or is it common to make adapter wires for motors, like a 3” wires with 4mm bullets on the motor end, and 6.5mm bullets on the ESC end?

And finally how long before the...BEC-less Servo is back in stock. I can’t recall it’s name.
As I understand it, those ratings are just to deter people who don't know what they're doing from exploding their motors. 4100kv is only 100kv over the 3s "limit" on the Rx8 gen 3. When it comes to things like this I would actually look at what the motor manufacturer says the max voltage/rpm is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

I have a question about using a LIHV battery which puts out 13.05 V at max charge, Is that still a safe range for the new Holmes SHV500 V2?
Old 11-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Yes, that servo is good up to 4s, which is 16.8v fully charged.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Yes, that servo is good up to 4s, which is 16.8v fully charged.
Awe shoot, I forgot they just upped that to 4S, thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Run 4s with the 3500kv. If not, 2700kv and 4s will be a hair faster then 3500kv on 3s.

3500 * 12.6 = 44,100 rpm.
2700 * 16.8 = 45,360 rpm.
It will likely be faster than just a hair, bigger motors gain efficiency at higher voltage. It will also use less amps than the higher KV motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
As I understand it, those ratings are just to deter people who don't know what they're doing from exploding their motors.
Actually it's to stop them from blowing ESC's; the motor will have it's own voltage rating. Motor KV is usually tied to amp draw, but size also matters. A 3650 2000kv may draw under 30A continuous while a 4074 2000kv might draw 100A+. If it's a 3660 or smaller (not 1/8 scale size), it's probably fine at 3S. Just don't set punch or timing crazy.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:05 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Hi John,
Thank you for taking time to answer these questions�� speaking of... I have a question related to motors & ESC. Would you explain what sensored motor and ESC would be good for? compared to a sensorless motor and ESC? I am mainly looking for typically used situations for each as well as the benefits of either....

Thank you again for your time and consideration��
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Generally speaking, for vehicles discussed on this forum - sensored is the best choice.

You may spend a bit more, but typically get more precise control - especially on the low-end, where it is desired for rock crawling.

Castle Creations document:

http://dzf8vqv24eqhg.cloudfront.net/...m=auto,-44,792

AsiaTees article:

https://www.asiatees.com/article?id=11

Last edited by durok; 12-05-2017 at 08:47 AM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Durok....
Thanks for the reply, that is a big help. Appreciate the time and effort
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #100
RCC Addict

Trying to choose a esc, motor, and steering servo for a new Ascender build. Brushed I think, I have a RTR one that is all good but would like a little more wheel speed, so not sure about 35T with 3s or 27T with 2s - a recommendation?
Crawlmaster or trailmaster?
MambaX esc?
Which servo?

Thanks!
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM