Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #1001
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Last I read holmes has not used the hobbywing 1080 to answer this. But I want to know as well. Even though I don't think I could ever be happy with the sound of an out runner.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #1002
RCC Addict

I have 5 TRX4s 1 of which is equipped with a Mamba X and 1800kv Revolver in my #1 chassis. The remaining 4 TRX4s all have HW1080 with various motors ranging from the stock Titan 21t, HH Trailmaster Sport 550 and a pair of HH Crawlmaster Pro 550 12t. My favorite combo is the the HW1080 and Crawlmaster Pro 550 hands down the smoothest slow start up.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I have 5 TRX4s 1 of which is equipped with a Mamba X and 1800kv Revolver in my #1 chassis. The remaining 4 TRX4s all have HW1080 with various motors ranging from the stock Titan 21t, HH Trailmaster Sport 550 and a pair of HH Crawlmaster Pro 550 12t. My favorite combo is the the HW1080 and Crawlmaster Pro 550 hands down the smoothest slow start up.
How would you rate the mamba x against the HW1080? I too have the Mamba X and a revolver 1800 in my trx and am very happy with it (even with the sound). Curious about the crawlmaster now, but I think I would still prefer brushless over brushed simply for longevity.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
MODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #1004
I wanna be Dave

Remember the HW 1080 is only for brushed motors... I have it paired with a HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21t in my Ascender and also have one to be installed in my TRX-4.

It's a fantastic budget setup, but there are advantages with the Mamba X / Revolver brushless outrunner combo in my Bomber...

I can run 4S if I want, and I have the Aux Wire function on my 3rd channel serving to change the mode from Rock Racer to Rock Crawler, turns the drag brake on and off.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Remember the HW 1080 is only for brushed motors... I have it paired with a HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21t in my Ascender and also have one to be installed in my TRX-4.

It's a fantastic budget setup, but there are advantages with the Mamba X / Revolver brushless outrunner combo in my Bomber...

I can run 4S if I want, and I have the Aux Wire function on my 3rd channel serving to change the mode from Rock Racer to Rock Crawler, turns the drag brake on and off.
Ahhh...I never really looked into the HW and thought it did both. I think I'll stick with brushless though. The low speed control and startup is plenty good enough for me....even sensorless.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
MODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #1006
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Hey JRH, berg comp rig, br-mini's, with team puller 13t xx wire 500's motors powered by a nano-tech 450mah 3s 65-130c battery.

Out of curiosity I'm sure you'd know how many amps do the puller motors draw continuously and burst/torque stall?

Br-mini specs on website are 30a continuous, 80a burst
Just wondering about the demand the puller motors want.
Your continuous is basically the runtime. 10 minutes from a 450mah pack would be 3 amps average. The 13xx will burst 50 to 80 amps in a typical Comp rig. Your weight and gearing will affect this, along with the condition of the batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
JRH, question ???
16t handwound crawlmaster on a 1080 vs a 1800 revolver on a SW4.
Which will have the smoothest startup on a 7# rig running 3s?

Hang up and Drive
Crawmaster should, but I haven’t fully tested the 1080 startup sensitivity with one . . Although the revolver and sw4 is so close to a crawlmaster that most situations would be perceived as near equal startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Last I read holmes has not used the hobbywing 1080 to answer this. But I want to know as well. Even though I don't think I could ever be happy with the sound of an out runner.
I’ve gotten a little wheel time with one now. They aren’t too bad, but I haven’t tested with the crawlmaster to really see low end resolution.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #1007
I wanna be Dave

Default Have tech questions? Will answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

Crawmaster should, but I haven’t fully tested the 1080 startup sensitivity with one . . Although the revolver and sw4 is so close to a crawlmaster that most situations would be perceived as near equal startup.

I’ve gotten a little wheel time with one now. They aren’t too bad, but I haven’t tested with the crawlmaster to really see low end resolution.

Thanks John that was my thinking also, I actually wanted a BR XL but can’t find any in the states.

I love my BRMD , but don’t think the BR mini would handle the weight and bec needs for a servo, or am I wrong again ?

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 01-07-2019 at 04:49 AM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #1008
RCC Addict

John,
Few questions. I’ve got a crawlmaster pro 13turn. What does that equal roughly to a regular 540 motor speed wise? I’ve got a custom build that I’m taking the gear down volt up motto to the max. I’m at 96:1 total reduction. I ran it with one of your trailmaster sport 550 can 27 turn on 3s with a 1080 esc. The low end smoothness was great and top end was slow to be expected. About a slow walking pace wide open.

I just bought a brxl and want to go 4s power. I have three of your motors on hand. 13t crawlmaster pro 540, trailmaster sport 27t and 45t, both 550’s. If gearing is kept the same, which motor will have the smoothest start up and top speed a little more than my current combo. I can change pinion if needed but figured I’d keep that constant to see which motor I like the best. Right now I’m at 15t pinion and 86t spur. I don’t NEED the 550 power as it’s a leaf sprung scaler around 9-10 lbs but I had them on hand and figure there’s no replacement for displacement.

Thank you.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #1009
I wanna be Dave

This might help you from Holmes hobbies website.

Below is a list of motor turn counts and speeds. Motors on the same line have equivalent speeds.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #1010
I wanna be Dave

JRH - will the recently added DRAG BRAKE RAMPING feature for Mamba-X become a feature for your BLE series ESC's as well? I'm loving the feature now with my Mamba-X and 1800kv Revolver. I'd love to use this feature for my Truggy that's using the BLE ESC and 3500kv PP Stubby.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #1011
RCC Addict

What is the difference between copper and silver 'stand up' brushes?
Should I have a pair on standby? Or, how long does a set generally last in a Torquemaster Expert? And how do we tell when they need to be replaced?

Is there other maintenance required on these motors?
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #1012
Rock Stacker

John, quick question about the blh servo issues...

I had you send one to me in the UK a few months ago. Due to working away a month at a time I've used my new trx4 truck and servo only a handful of times and I've actually changed the radio gear as well.

How recent was the batch with the issue? I ask because the first time I used the truck with the traxxas radio after a firmware update the servo was acting crazy at random points. I then updated the firmware and it seemed ok. I have since changed the radio gear completely to a different make and it still seems ok in the couple of times I've used that. I'm assuming mine is ok but just wondered if you had seen any that started working after they showed some signs of problems at first.

Cheers
niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #1013
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
JRH - will the recently added DRAG BRAKE RAMPING feature for Mamba-X become a feature for your BLE series ESC's as well? I'm loving the feature now with my Mamba-X and 1800kv Revolver. I'd love to use this feature for my Truggy that's using the BLE ESC and 3500kv PP Stubby.
We are no longer receiving support from Castle on the BLE hardware. There will be no more updates, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
What is the difference between copper and silver 'stand up' brushes?
Should I have a pair on standby? Or, how long does a set generally last in a Torquemaster Expert? And how do we tell when they need to be replaced?

Is there other maintenance required on these motors?
Silver brushes pass more current, but can wear the comm faster. I typically get about 100 hours on a set, but it really depends on driving style and terrain, rig weight and gearing. Replace them when they are half length, about 5mm. More reading here . https://blog.holmeshobbies.com/?page_id=373

Quote:
Originally Posted by niro750 View Post
John, quick question about the blh servo issues...

I had you send one to me in the UK a few months ago. Due to working away a month at a time I've used my new trx4 truck and servo only a handful of times and I've actually changed the radio gear as well.

How recent was the batch with the issue? I ask because the first time I used the truck with the traxxas radio after a firmware update the servo was acting crazy at random points. I then updated the firmware and it seemed ok. I have since changed the radio gear completely to a different make and it still seems ok in the couple of times I've used that. I'm assuming mine is ok but just wondered if you had seen any that started working after they showed some signs of problems at first.

Cheers
It was only the first batch with problems. If you had a problem, it wouldn’t be running still!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #1014
Rock Stacker

Thanks, looks like I'm safe then, it must have been a dodgy firmware update on the controller.
niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #1015
RCC Addict

John, please see post 1008. I got skipped over yet again in this thread. Thanks.

Ben
Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 AM   #1016
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
John, please see post 1008. I got skipped over yet again in this thread. Thanks.

Ben

tapped-out’s post pretty well covered your question.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:09 AM   #1017
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
John,
Few questions. I’ve got a crawlmaster pro 13turn. What does that equal roughly to a regular 540 motor speed wise? I’ve got a custom build that I’m taking the gear down volt up motto to the max. I’m at 96:1 total reduction. I ran it with one of your trailmaster sport 550 can 27 turn on 3s with a 1080 esc. The low end smoothness was great and top end was slow to be expected. About a slow walking pace wide open.

I just bought a brxl and want to go 4s power. I have three of your motors on hand. 13t crawlmaster pro 540, trailmaster sport 27t and 45t, both 550’s. If gearing is kept the same, which motor will have the smoothest start up and top speed a little more than my current combo. I can change pinion if needed but figured I’d keep that constant to see which motor I like the best. Right now I’m at 15t pinion and 86t spur. I don’t NEED the 550 power as it’s a leaf sprung scaler around 9-10 lbs but I had them on hand and figure there’s no replacement for displacement.

Thank you.

Ben
I thought tapped out answered the first question for you. But the Crawlmaster pro 13t 5pole 540 is a 2200kv motor, roughly the same as a 27t 540 3pole motor or a 21t 3pole 550 motor.

For your second question the 13t crawlmaster will probably have the smoothest startup and will have a higher top speed then a 27t 550 motor or 45t 540 motor. at 96:1 the tops speeds with 4.2in tires on 4s are 4.23mph on the 13t crawlmaster 540, 2.88mph on a trailmaster sport 27t 550, and 1.92mph on a trailmaster 45t 550, the crawlmaster 13t on 3s which I think is your current setup is 3.6mph for refrence. not knowing the condition of your motors its hard to say. the trailmaster sport motors have a torquier startup like the torquemaster motors. Plus the 550 motors I believe have a higher startup speed. Since your not changing gearing and your crawlmaster is your fastest motor I would say its going to be the fastest and smoothest. If you had a slower 20t 540 crawlmaster and planed on gearing them to the same top speed it might be a different story.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #1018
RCC Addict

Quote:
tapped-out’s post pretty well covered your question.
No it didn’t. The purpose of this thread is to ask John Holmes a question and have him answer it. Not every keyboard warrior on the forum. If I wanted a million incorrect know it all answers, I would have posted a separate post. I’ve seen that graph and understand it. There is a technical level to these motors that myself and I bet most don’t understand so that’s why I want an answer from the guy who designs and builds these motors. Is my question life changing or super important? No, but I’d like an answer if possible, not a “pretty much, I guess, or my buddy thinks this type of answer.

Ben
Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #1019
I wanna be Dave

Indeed. None of us have used his products, or had first-hand experience with them. We're just bored "keyboard warriors" stumbled across this site and decided to take a stab at answering random questions.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #1020
RCC Addict

Quote:
Indeed. None of us have used his products, or had first-hand experience with them. We're just bored "keyboard warriors" stumbled across this site and decided to take a stab at answering random questions.
I own, use and will buy more of his products. Doesn’t make me an expert or someone who would answer detailed questions about specific characteristics and design of different motors. Don’t get butt hurt because you tried to be a smart ass. Let the man answer the question and move on.

Ben

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM