Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #1021
RCC Addict

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Don't turn this into a Facebook level group...
Just move along and he might get his answer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #1022
I wanna be Dave

Direct email always works better.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #1023
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Must have missed it as I’m answering via phone this week, but the other guys did answer it well. The CM13 will be about 2200kv or 27t 540 equivalent, a little faster than a 27t. It will also be the smoothest and fastest of the ones you posted. It’s what you want.

Keep it civil in here. I’m glad to confirm other guys answers, but they are here to help too.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #1024
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Must have missed it as I’m answering via phone this week, but the other guys did answer it well. The CM13 will be about 2200kv or 27t 540 equivalent, a little faster than a 27t. It will also be the smoothest and fastest of the ones you posted. It’s what you want.

Keep it civil in here. I’m glad to confirm other guys answers, but they are here to help too.
Thank you
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #1025
Rock Stacker

Can the non-waterproof BLE Pro esc in the new Trailmaster combo sale be DIY waterproofed easily by users with the Holmes conformal coating? I've done many receivers and servos myself. Just curious if this esc can be waterproofed that way and if the case can easily be opened. Also, is the motor water resistant in that combo as well? Thanks John!
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:11 AM   #1026
I wanna be Dave

I think they are all waterproof now. But I might be thinking of the wrong esc. And the ble is an older esc no longer receiving updates. So maybe consider one of his newer ones, oh they might be out of stock. But yea you can open an coat them. Pretty sure that's all he does.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:40 AM   #1027
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMatt View Post
Can the non-waterproof BLE Pro esc in the new Trailmaster combo sale be DIY waterproofed easily by users with the Holmes conformal coating? I've done many receivers and servos myself. Just curious if this esc can be waterproofed that way and if the case can easily be opened. Also, is the motor water resistant in that combo as well? Thanks John!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I think they are all waterproof now. But I might be thinking of the wrong esc. And the ble is an older esc no longer receiving updates. So maybe consider one of his newer ones, oh they might be out of stock. But yea you can open an coat them. Pretty sure that's all he does.
He's talking specifically of this budget combo:

TrailMaster Brushless Combo sale!

In which JRH states that it is not the waterproofed item. I believe he is offering this special price to help clear inventory of the older stock product.

It's a great deal for what you're getting!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #1028

They can be waterproofed, we are just out of potting component right now. Should have more in about a week. We should also have conformal back in 2 to 4 weeks.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #1029
Quarry Creeper

Question Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Hello from, Mexico
Please I need your help with my wiring diagram

I already have the following electronics

• Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster BLE Pro
• Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro Motor (2700kV)
• Castle Creations BEC 2.0 Waterproof BEC
• Futaba R204GF-E 2.4GHz Receiver
• Savox SB-2290SG Brushless Servo
• Castle Creations B Link Bluetooth Adapter
• 11.1V 6000mAh 45C 3S Lipo battery
• Powershift RC Technologies Dead Man Switch Unit

I want to take advantage of the servo torque at 7.4V so is my intention to power it using the CC BEC 2.0, just for the servo,

Please take a look at the diagram and let me know is it is OK or I need to modify something before the real wiring. I have serious doubts about the dotted ground line on my diagram; I don't know if it is necessary or not,

On my newbie logic l don't need to ground the Rx feed because already grounded through the ESC

I notice that Holmes Hobbies has an adapter that allows the use of an external BEC for servo power without needing to disable ESC's internal BEC,
I think that this I what I need but I notice some difference in My diagram
VS the Holmes bypass, so which setup should I Use?

Should I have the Rx feed grounding to the servo/BEC ground? why?

please help a newbie

thanks in advance

Last edited by antigacho; 01-19-2019 at 09:30 AM.
antigacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #1030

The extra plug on the ccbec is for other things, it’s extra. I would suggest grounding between Rx and servo, as any noise or voltage ripple will attempt to mask your signal and freak out the servo. Tying ground everywhere ensures cleaner signal.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #1031
RCC Addict

I always ground esc, bec, and rx as I had 1 truck that always stuttered and wouldn't respond in certain situations. A simple tap into the bec to servo lead and then to rx solved it. I just used and old ground wire from a busted servo and plugged into a spare channel on the rx.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #1032

Just trying to figure out how the steering select works on a Redcat Crawler. It uses channel 3 to get the 4 different steering types. Wonder if I can use a different transmitter, with perhaps a 3 way switch assigned to channel 3 ???
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #1033

I think heyok might have a device to do that, not sure.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #1034

Default Best antenna?

I've been flying drones for years and have a lot of different antennas. But from what I can understand, for ground use, a simple dipole would be best. Am I wrong?
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #1035

Yep. Not much need to go outside linear dipoles since the rigs dont really roll or pitch. Pretty much all yaw at rather close distances with no interfering structures compared to UAV needs.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:43 PM   #1036
I wanna be Dave

Hello,
I recently am getting back into the hobby after being out for a number of years. Things have changed a little, and there's more to choose from. After doing some reading and comparing I've found the yeti, hammers and rock rey are what I'm going after.
I snagged a Losi Rock Rey kit and have acquired most of the common upgrades. I'm awaiting a few more so the build hasn't started yet.
I've seen the stock setup in the rock rey rtr version... It's horrible at lower speeds. This car was running 2s. The cogging made me choke.
I want to stay in that stock-ish speed range and keep it 2s. I want to build this vehicle for those fun days when my wife decides that taking a walk will be a good idea. I want to do a bit of crawling but still be able to speed across the flat stuff... Sorta like a true U4 car I guess lol.
I've always heard that Mamba was the way to go, but with all the new options like hobbywing and such I'm just more confused. I know they say stay sensored brushless, after that... Bah !
Hopefully I didn't lose you there, but I guess I'm looking for a recommendation.

TLDR:
suggest me a motor and esc that puts a rock rey on par with stock rtr setup but with better control.

Thanks for your time !

Last edited by crunky; 01-26-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Derpa derpa...
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #1037

It was a good question actually. What system for the Rock Rey that will do great trail duty and be more flexible than the stock system.

I would throw in a mamba monster X and Puller Pro 4274 "Smooth" motor. Really great low speed control, huge power when you want it. Run 2s for trail use, run 4s for nuts speed/ racing/ bashing.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #1038
I wanna be Dave

Awesome reply, thank you !!
I wasn't sure if that's something you'd field the answer to so I moved it to the newbie section.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #1039
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
Hello,
I recently am getting back into the hobby after being out for a number of years. Things have changed a little, and there's more to choose from. After doing some reading and comparing I've found the yeti, hammers and rock rey are what I'm going after.
I snagged a Losi Rock Rey kit and have acquired most of the common upgrades. I'm awaiting a few more so the build hasn't started yet.
I've seen the stock setup in the rock rey rtr version... It's horrible at lower speeds. This car was running 2s. The cogging made me choke.
I want to stay in that stock-ish speed range and keep it 2s. I want to build this vehicle for those fun days when my wife decides that taking a walk will be a good idea. I want to do a bit of crawling but still be able to speed across the flat stuff... Sorta like a true U4 car I guess lol.
I've always heard that Mamba was the way to go, but with all the new options like hobbywing and such I'm just more confused. I know they say stay sensored brushless, after that... Bah !
Hopefully I didn't lose you there, but I guess I'm looking for a recommendation.

TLDR:
suggest me a motor and esc that puts a rock rey on par with stock rtr setup but with better control.

Thanks for your time !
I would have to say mamba x and a Holmes puller pro, your choice of kv.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #1040
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the replies. Another question if I may...
So let's say I had a mamba x and a 3800 kv motor. Could I program the esc to only run the motor at 3000kv ?
A gentlemen at the local hobby shop recommended I do that, but I am not aware of this being a possibility.
Just kinda reminds me of restrictor plate racing lol.

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM