Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #1101
RCC Addict

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Pinion mostly
Spur if you run out of pinion size space

Axle under or over drive is preference for crawling

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #1102
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteredgasser57 View Post
Hey, can someone explain gearing up or gearing down a rig? Do you just swap out the spur and or pinion gears to achieve a different ratio, or do you also go in and change transmission gears/axle gears to adjust ratios? Also, what do you guys think of metal spur gears?

That's all a part of it. It really kind of depends on what is actually available for your componentry.

Pinion gears are generally pretty easy to come by, but your slotted mounts for your motor will only go so far one way or the other to accommodate a different size. And not all axles have optional gears.

A properly setup pinion should not create a problem for a plastic spur gear. If you're stripping them out they're likely set too loose.

Pinion gears can get so small in diameter that there's not enough meat for the set screw, and they can crack or break there. And there are 32pitch and 48pitch gear sizes. Obviously steel pinion gears are stronger than aluminum alloy ones, which are generally called 'racing' gears.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #1103
RCC Addict

Hey John, i posted in the wrong thread lmbo. Thought id check in with u on the 1900 n 2500kv motors u had mentioned. U said somethin bout gettin with justin about them. I tryd to pm u but it said i wasnt allowed

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #1104
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Thanks for the reminder. I’ll have to circle back and catch up in this thread too. Was a tough week last week, been healing a broke leg and had a lot of PT and appointments.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #1105
I wanna be Dave

Yikes!

Get better soon!

(maybe you can break the 20K post mark before they remove that stat as well as the "like" button.)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I’ll have to circle back and catch up in this thread too. Was a tough week last week, been healing a broke leg and had a lot of PT and appointments.
I can only imagine how much it sucks to have a broken leg! Hope you're feeling better!

I have the Revolver 1800kv with a Mamba X in my TRX-4 Sport. I am using the settings that you recommended in your YouTube videos (throttle curve, no timing, high start power, 30% punch control, etc) and I'm still getting cogging. Is this normal? Or what would you suggest to tune it out?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #1107
Rock Stacker

Hey John!

Been looking forward to running one of your setups for awhile now. The lack of Mamba X in stock anywhere (and my indecision on Revolver vs Puller) has put a damper on it but I'm loving the Trailmaster Sport setup in the meantime.

I've got a Mamba Max Pro sitting in an RC10B4 with the 7700kv motor from back in my pre-crawler days. Is it worth taking apart the ESC and coating it with whatever they're coating them with these days to waterproof it and running it in my TRX4 with either the Revolver or Puller Pro?

Since this is older hardware I'm mainly wondering if all the latest low speed startup advantages and crawler specific stuff like the trail brake are nonexistent or bad on this controller or if I can make it into a nice crawling setup. Just trying to make sure I'm not overlooking this since I already have it.

Otherwise, I'm gonna slap a 3S into this B4 and bash it around until the motor gives up (it's rated 2S max I think due to 7700kv). I need an overpowered basher back in my stable anyway!

Hope you're feeling better and can get back on the trails soon!
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #1108
I wanna be Dave

Here's some info on this model ESC, should work fine with a Puller Pro - Holmes used it as the basis for his own brushless crawler ESC. You can program it with a Castle Link, and it does have the drag brake feature adjustable for 10, 20, 30, and 40%.

https://dzf8vqv24eqhg.cloudfront.net...1606201010-713
Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #1109
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Here's some info on this model ESC, should work fine with a Puller Pro - Holmes used it as the basis for his own brushless crawler ESC. You can program it with a Castle Link, and it does have the drag brake feature adjustable for 10, 20, 30, and 40%.

https://dzf8vqv24eqhg.cloudfront.net...1606201010-713

Ah, thanks - I got the MMP setup secondhand and never really looked into any of the documentation. After I got my TRX4 I pulled out my old RC stuff and saw a somewhat modern Mamba and forgot I had it on there. It replaced a very old Novak Super Sport 5800 sensored setup.

I'll probably stick with a Mamba X now that I took a good look through, looked into the waterproofing and watched a few videos. I think I'm also a bit too curious to see that 7700kv on 3S in the old B4 I'm planning out two rigs and I think one will be a SW4 and Revolver and the other an MX with a Puller. Just can't figure out which to do first. I'm also not sure I want to change out my XL5HV+Trailmaster Sport 21T because I've really grown to like how it drives and how cheap it is to run, in which case I'd go MX + Revolver 1800 + Puller 2800 or 3500 for the same rig and swap each in when I'm trailing or crawling. Is that crazy overkill? Hahah.

Is there any disadvantage to picking a Mamba Monster X over the standard X for crawling? They're only a few bucks more and more readily in stock. I know it's got more headroom that I'll never need but it seems like less than $20 more.

Last edited by jessedacri; 03-19-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #1110
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedacri View Post
Ah, thanks - I got the MMP setup secondhand and never really looked into any of the documentation. After I got my TRX4 I pulled out my old RC stuff and saw a somewhat modern Mamba and forgot I had it on there. It replaced a very old Novak Super Sport 5800 sensored setup.

I'll probably stick with a Mamba X now that I took a good look through, looked into the waterproofing and watched a few videos. I think I'm also a bit too curious to see that 7700kv on 3S in the old B4 I'm planning out two rigs and I think one will be a SW4 and Revolver and the other an MX with a Puller. Just can't figure out which to do first. I'm also not sure I want to change out my XL5HV+Trailmaster Sport 21T because I've really grown to like how it drives and how cheap it is to run, in which case I'd go MX + Revolver 1800 + Puller 2800 or 3500 for the same rig and swap each in when I'm trailing or crawling. Is that crazy overkill? Hahah.

Is there any disadvantage to picking a Mamba Monster X over the standard X for crawling? They're only a few bucks more and more readily in stock. I know it's got more headroom that I'll never need but it seems like less than $20 more.
To my knowledge, it isn't nearly as smooth at low speeds. Also there is the difference of 4mm connectors on the Mamba X and 6.5 on the Monster.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #1111
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
To my knowledge, it isn't nearly as smooth at low speeds. Also there is the difference of 4mm connectors on the Mamba X and 6.5 on the Monster.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ah, brutal. I'll hold out for an X. Just shredded a $300 tire on my Audi on the way into my crawl spot this past Sunday so that's probably reason enough to stay brushed for a few more weeks
Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #1112
I wanna be Dave

Just wondering what you think about running this Motor in my 14# Traxxas UDR. I want to mate it with a Mamba Monster X ESC. Believe it or not I want to try doing a "little" crawling with this rig and I'm looking for some slow, smooth start up speeds along with that 45MPH speed. Thanks for the help!
https://holmeshobbies.com/puller-pro...ess-motor.html

Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 03-22-2019 at 10:07 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #1113
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Just wondering what you think about running this Motor in my 14# Traxxas UDR. I want to mate it with a Mamba Monster X ESC. Believe it or not I want to try doing a "little" crawling with this rig and I'm looking for some slow, smooth start up speeds along with that 45MPH speed. Thanks for the help!

Ernie
If you get the smooth version I don't see why it wouldn't work

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #1114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post

Ernie
I would say this is a good motor as well, but I would add that you should use 6s for when you want to go fast, and 2s or 3s when you want to crawl. if you try to crawl with the 6s and the gear ratio that gets you to 45mph I think you would have heat issues. the stock gear ratio and the 2100kv motor on 6s is about 45mph with 4.7in tires (not acounting for balooning tires so maybe smaller tires?).

Honestly though that UDF is not a crawler, its never going to be a great crawler, so don't put money into it hoping for that. It doesn't have clearances in the right places and it will get high centered and drag on the rocks.

It ok to own 2 rc cars, save up and get a crawler like the trx-4 if you love traxxas or one of the various other brands if its not a big deal.

In an analogy that seems appropriate, its like your asking if you can bring your stock height Jeep Cherokee with a blown LS motor behind my lifted Toyota pickup on 44" tires to the mountains, and the answer is no, because when you throw the hammer down and blow up your drive train spinning tires and bouncing on rocks, i'm not going to want to tow you out. And I'm not going to try to make my 4 cylinder Toyota beat you on a drag strip its just not gonna happen.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:10 AM   #1115
I wanna be Dave

CODYBOY has plenty of other R/C vehicles, he designs and makes modified axles for the Vaterra Ascender among other things...
Old 03-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #1116
RCC Addict

It's evident we don't know the other players here. And no like button. LOL

I'm anxious to see the UD thing run. Bring it down to PLBF - the south lot will be perfect.
Maybe we can setup a race course for more of them. 6S? Dear god...
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #1117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
If you get the smooth version I don't see why it wouldn't work

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I would say this is a good motor as well, but I would add that you should use 6s for when you want to go fast, and 2s or 3s when you want to crawl. if you try to crawl with the 6s and the gear ratio that gets you to 45mph I think you would have heat issues. the stock gear ratio and the 2100kv motor on 6s is about 45mph with 4.7in tires (not acounting for balooning tires so maybe smaller tires?).

Honestly though that UDF is not a crawler, its never going to be a great crawler, so don't put money into it hoping for that. It doesn't have clearances in the right places and it will get high centered and drag on the rocks.

It ok to own 2 rc cars, save up and get a crawler like the trx-4 if you love traxxas or one of the various other brands if its not a big deal.

In an analogy that seems appropriate, its like your asking if you can bring your stock height Jeep Cherokee with a blown LS motor behind my lifted Toyota pickup on 44" tires to the mountains, and the answer is no, because when you throw the hammer down and blow up your drive train spinning tires and bouncing on rocks, i'm not going to want to tow you out. And I'm not going to try to make my 4 cylinder Toyota beat you on a drag strip its just not gonna happen.

Thanks for the insight and advice. I debated and research a couple weeks before I pull the trigger on the UDR. The fact that it has IFS was a driving factor over getting a XMAX, plus it is closer to 1/7 scale size.

I realize it's designed as a go fast truck, I might make a few changes to cross it over just a little. I plan on making some adjustments to the gearing to mellow the speed just a little. When I want to cross over a little i'll switch over a little more aggressive tire. I can't leave anything I have box stock!

Any other input is welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
CODYBOY has plenty of other R/C vehicles, he designs and makes modified axles for the Vaterra Ascender among other things...

Thanks young man, and yes I have been known to change things up just a little.

I'm hoping John has time to give me a little feed back before I buy the motor in the smooth version.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 03-23-2019 at 09:53 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:07 AM   #1118
Quarry Creeper

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I run the Bomber with a 9 tooth pinion and the 21T Trailmaster Sport with the Hobbywing 1080 on 3S. So far so good. Crawls really nice and has just enough wheel speed.
But now with the 12T Trailmaster Sport I wonder if this could work too. Any idea if this motor has enough low speed power to crawl?
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #1119
I wanna be Dave

According to the guy that makes the motors after you go below 21t motors you lose power through brush losses. Not entirely sure what that means but if you are looking for a larger range in wheel speed I would suggest going brushless, or go back to a larger pinion and accept the losses to the low end. Holmes motors can also work on 4s, so that is also a good option but you will need a new esc like the mamba x that's hard to find right now.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #1120
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmTheTourist View Post
I hope this is the right place for this question.

I run the Bomber with a 9 tooth pinion and the 21T Trailmaster Sport with the Hobbywing 1080 on 3S. So far so good. Crawls really nice and has just enough wheel speed.
But now with the 12T Trailmaster Sport I wonder if this could work too. Any idea if this motor has enough low speed power to crawl?
I'm running an 11T pinion on my trailmaster Sport 21T.
You should try it to regain some speed and still crawl nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM