Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Trying to choose a esc, motor, and steering servo for a new Ascender build. Brushed I think, I have a RTR one that is all good but would like a little more wheel speed, so not sure about 35T with 3s or 27T with 2s - a recommendation?
Crawlmaster or trailmaster?
MambaX esc?
Which servo?

Thanks!
Volt up and gear down, if you can. I personally will never go back to 2S in a crawler. It might be out of your budget but I recommend a ProModeler S470 servo ($100).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by MasteroFlego; 12-06-2017 at 10:16 PM.
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Hello John - after running multiple combinations of your Brushed motors and BR-XL esc, I finally decided to give brushless a try. I'm building up a custom Truggy. Total weight with battery is just under 9lbs. I ordered the 3300kv Puller Pro Stubby and BLE ESC. Running 11.1 3s 35c packs. Gearing is 32p 57T spur and 10T pinion. 38/13 ring and pinion up front, 43/13 ring and pinion out back. After reading through a bunch of the forums here, i'm wondering if I went with too high/fast kv rating with the 3300 for this rig? Your thoughts are appreciated -Thank ya Sir!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Hello John - after running multiple combinations of your Brushed motors and BR-XL esc, I finally decided to give brushless a try. I'm building up a custom Truggy. Total weight with battery is just under 9lbs. I ordered the 3300kv Puller Pro Stubby and BLE ESC. Running 11.1 3s 35c packs. Gearing is 32p 57T spur and 10T pinion. 38/13 ring and pinion up front, 43/13 ring and pinion out back. After reading through a bunch of the forums here, i'm wondering if I went with too high/fast kv rating with the 3300 for this rig? Your thoughts are appreciated -Thank ya Sir!
I believe you'd be better served with a 540 Standard Puller Pro instead of a Stubby for a 9lb rig...

But the higher kv rating isn't really the issue - you're running 3S instead of 2S, so if you have heat issues, just gear down.....
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:30 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I believe you'd be better served with a 540 Standard Puller Pro instead of a Stubby for a 9lb rig...

But the higher kv rating isn't really the issue - you're running 3S instead of 2S, so if you have heat issues, just gear down.....
I would have preferred a standard can, but i've got a space issue where the motor mounts so I went with the stubby. I did some more reading and reaearch, I think i'll be good with this combo. As you say, I can always gear down a bit more to find the sweet spot.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #105
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Thanks guys for picking up some questions while my online time is scant!

If folks aren't aware, our first shipment of SHV500v2 servos had the wrong firmware flash and it was causing twitching. I made a fresh PID tune and we now have them for sale again. Anyone with a twitchy servo can contact us for a swap out.

I'll pick up with the remaining questions I have additional info for..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Trying to choose a esc, motor, and steering servo for a new Ascender build. Brushed I think, I have a RTR one that is all good but would like a little more wheel speed, so not sure about 35T with 3s or 27T with 2s - a recommendation?
Crawlmaster or trailmaster?
MambaX esc?
Which servo?

Thanks!
Mamba X is a great ESC. Our BLE is also extremely smooth, quite a bit lighter, although not at technically advanced as the X.

I love the crawlmaster series. 13t on 3s is my fav. 35t on 3s is also nice.

SHV500v2 servo runs direct on 3s. Nice and fast with plenty of torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I personally like the 3300 on 3s the most. Never had a rig where I couldn't gear it down enough for the wheelspeed I wanted.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:53 AM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Hi guys,

Will hardcase 2s lipo packs work with the Barrage ESC ok? I have a 20C 4000mah Venom, and a couple of 100C 8000mah from Hobby Star. Besides those lipos, I have the stock nimh pack that came with a 2wd Slash, 8.4v 3000mah, I think. Will these damage anything. or just provide longer run times?

Also, I plan to run a high torque metal gear servo with the stock ESC for the ECX Barrage kit (5V BEC). Will I need an external BEC of better ESC to make everything work as it should?

Thanks,
MP
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:06 AM   #107
RCC Addict

I bought a Shv500 v2 directly from your website at least a month ago but the truck isnt running yet.
How do I know if it has the bugged firmware?
How long do I have to get it replaced?

Thx

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #108

I'm totally unfamiliar with the barrage ESC, but you will need an external BEC for just about anything.

Your servo will twitch a little if the firmware is buggy. In all likelyhood, it is. You can exchange it at any point, I'm not going to put a time limit on a product that doesn't meet my quality standards.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #109
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I'm totally unfamiliar with the barrage ESC, but you will need an external BEC for just about anything.

Your servo will twitch a little if the firmware is buggy. In all likelyhood, it is. You can exchange it at any point, I'm not going to put a time limit on a product that doesn't meet my quality standards.
Im still new to this hobby, how do I see that twitching?
The wheels will move left and right on their own?

Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Plug it in, and test it. It will twitch back and forth sitting at center.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #111

Yep, the wheels will shake a little for no reason.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #112
Rock Stacker

Finally getting around installing my Pro4HD 2500kv in my Honcho. Don’t worry, the driveline and esc are up to the task.
I’ve been using the Honcho for everything, primarily mud and snow. It was running a 1410 3900kv on 4S. I was using a Turnigy 6000mah, it was a monster and took up a lot of chassis real estate. Now with the Pro4HD the truck is being revised for more of the orginal purpose, rocks and trail running.

I’m looking for recommendations on a smaller, capable, 4S. I would like to have one the size of a standard 2S hardcase but not so small I will run out of battery when needed.
OhioGuy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #113
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy82 View Post
Finally getting around installing my Pro4HD 2500kv in my Honcho. Don’t worry, the driveline and esc are up to the task.
I’ve been using the Honcho for everything, primarily mud and snow. It was running a 1410 3900kv on 4S. I was using a Turnigy 6000mah, it was a monster and took up a lot of chassis real estate. Now with the Pro4HD the truck is being revised for more of the orginal purpose, rocks and trail running.

I’m looking for recommendations on a smaller, capable, 4S. I would like to have one the size of a standard 2S hardcase but not so small I will run out of battery when needed.
SMC's 3600mah 4s or their 4500mah 4s are about the size of a standard 2s. (the 4500mah is fairly thicc though)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by MasteroFlego; 12-12-2017 at 11:53 PM.
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #114
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Yep, the wheels will shake a little for no reason.
Yeah it keeps twitching non-stop...
I can't belive its the second servo I have to replace and the truck has never ran yet

Do I contact you on your website for the details (return form, fees, etc)?

Last edited by Jboucher; 12-09-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Just ship it back to them with a note inside saying you need an updated non twitchy v2 SHV. LOL. There isn't any fees, but you'll have to pay for shipping to get it back.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #116
RCC Addict

I had to ship back a metal piece to DMG and Canada post charged me 16$...

I hate Canada

Old 12-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Yeah it keeps twitching non-stop...
I can't belive its the second servo I have to replace and the truck has never ran yet

Do I contact you on your website for the details (return form, fees, etc)?

Send them a pm on the website, They will send you a prepaid usps label , box or with your info and they will send the replacement . I’ve had that service on mine.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #118
Rock Crawler

John, any chance you'll ever produce smaller motors (such as 380s) again?
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #119
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Send them a pm on the website, They will send you a prepaid usps label , box or with your info and they will send the replacement . I’ve had that service on mine.

Hang up and Drive
I sent it sunday, we'll see

Old 12-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #120
Rock Stacker

Okay, this is probably a real newb question, but since this is a tech free for all, I’ll thow it here.

I have an old Futaba Magnum 2PL(as it says on the controller) that doesn’t want to work anymore. It’s been sitting dormant in a box in a garage for at least 3 years. I live in NorCal, so the temperature changes aren’t crazy drastic or too hot or cold...but is weather the reason behind it & is there any way to save it?

Just checked the truck, SCX Honcho, that I think works, but the lights don’t. They flicker when I switch it on, but that’s it. But I can’t be sure the truck works because I have no controller.

I’m wanting to sell, so am I just SOL on electronics & have to sell as basically a roller.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM