Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 02:30 AM   #1181
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

I'm sure they will overlap, as far as punch goes, turning punch down on esc is substantial. and considering how Holmes didn't like how the axe had no punch, I'm sure the smooth will have more punch than that, so still have plenty of punch for me. Cause I like to set mine to right about the same spot the axe tops out at. im alwayse worried doing burnouts is just going to break my toys, so I set them to not do that so much.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #1182
Quarry Creeper

How is the Revolver motor in water and a lil mud? Thinking about putting it in a trail running truck. Not a dedicated mud truck Thank you
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #1183
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
How is the Revolver motor in water and a lil mud? Thinking about putting it in a trail running truck. Not a dedicated mud truck Thank you
Water should be fine, but mud and grit are not going to play nicely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #1184
Rock Crawler

John, I have an SHV500 V1. I recently noticed quite a bit of play on the output shaft. I bought the rebuild kit which included the gears, bearings, oring, and pins. After replacing everything I still seem to have the same amount of play. Is there something going on inside the servo that I don't have access to that is creating this play?

Thanks!
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #1185
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
John, I have an SHV500 V1. I recently noticed quite a bit of play on the output shaft. I bought the rebuild kit which included the gears, bearings, oring, and pins. After replacing everything I still seem to have the same amount of play. Is there something going on inside the servo that I don't have access to that is creating this play?

Thanks!
The holes for the pins in the top of the case may be wearing out, adding bushings to prevent the pins from deforming the servo case holes was one of the improvements from the V1 to the V2.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #1186
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Do they both still have the same initial start speed?
Good question, the smooth has a lower startup speed. It is what I would use for crawling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
Water should be fine, but mud and grit are not going to play nicely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
what he said. Water no biggie as long as you don't let it rust. mud and grit aren't really a good idea. I would use a trailmaster sport brushed motor for mud and grit, because they are hard to kill and I would rather ruin $20 motor and not 3-8 times the cost of motor.

Quote:

Thanks!
It could be the case having ovallized holes.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #1187
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanks!
I've rebuilt one and didn't use the new center pin reusing the old one and that left some play in the servo as it was a bit beat up (the pin).
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:39 AM   #1188
Rock Stacker

I have a TRX-4 with a Mamba Monster X running a Revolver 1800KV. I really like the aux wire capability and use the rock racer mode for trailing only switching to crawl mode when needed.

I want to get one of the Crawlmaster 550s to try out more technical crawling. Is there any disadvantage to using the Mamba X ESC rather than switching to a "proper" brushed ESC?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
brian.brigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #1189

that would be just fine
Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #1190
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.brigg View Post
I have a TRX-4 with a Mamba Monster X running a Revolver 1800KV. I really like the aux wire capability and use the rock racer mode for trailing only switching to crawl mode when needed.

I want to get one of the Crawlmaster 550s to try out more technical crawling. Is there any disadvantage to using the Mamba X ESC rather than switching to a "proper" brushed ESC?

I find the Mamba X series is excellent with brushed motors. I believe the way the drag brake is implemented is its biggest difference. This is just from feel but it seems to me when you only give a little throttle (on descent) that the drag brake is still active and it keeps the motor speed steady, where as other ESC I've used tend to sort of freewheel down with the same throttle input.
You might be able to use the Holmes Hold drag brake setting to get a similar feel but I find the noise it creates unbearable.

I just swapped a few HH torquemaster ESC's out for Micro X's and the difference when descending is pretty stark. The tourquemaster used to be my favorite brushed ESC before I felt the Mamba Micro X. This comes in especially handy with front heavy rigs that dont do too well descending, with this ESC they become infinitely more stable.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-03-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #1191

The next firmware update to the BRXL and mini will be adding active freewheeling and drag ramp, so that it has that same locked in feeling when decending.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #1192
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The next firmware update to the BRXL and mini will be adding active freewheeling and drag ramp, so that it has that same locked in feeling when decending.

Thats great, I look forward to that!

The Aux function on the Mamba's is really great but I'd trade that for a silent ESC (Holmes ESC's have a silent mode)

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-03-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #1193

I'm running a trx4 with a Mamba X and Puller Pro 2700kv. Last weekend I was trail running and hit some mud and water and got some water into something, but not really sure what was happening. There were three occasions where the motor likely hit the water. ESC got splashed. Receiver remained dry. Maybe someone can offer some insight.

One of the things I experienced was an 'Aux Wire Glitch' alarm from the esc. I disconnected, reconnected, left disconnected the aux wire and only after about 20-30 min did the alarm stop and the aux wire function would work again.

I also experienced some erratic behaviour with the esc/motor. During the trouble periods, upon applying forward throttle, I experience some severe cogging going forward, with a low rpm limit for only 1 or 2 feet and then the motor would abruptly stop. There were no problems going in reverse. This lasted for about 5 min at a time and then things were fine again. The final time I experienced this the esc and motor got hot quite quickly. The motor was normally running about 95F that day but quickly approached 140F before I shut it down.

I ran much more and deeper water with the stock esc and motor without any trouble, and it was my understanding from research and recommendation that I could at least splash in the water with this setup without issue.

I've used the truck for a few short sessions since and everything is fine.

So what got wet? And can I prevent this from occurring again?

Last edited by KV242; 05-03-2019 at 06:00 PM.
KV242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:20 PM   #1194
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I find the Mamba X series is excellent with brushed motors. I believe the way the drag brake is implemented is its biggest difference. This is just from feel but it seems to me when you only give a little throttle (on descent) that the drag brake is still active and it keeps the motor speed steady, where as other ESC I've used tend to sort of freewheel down with the same throttle input.
You might be able to use the Holmes Hold drag brake setting to get a similar feel but I find the noise it creates unbearable.

I just swapped a few HH torquemaster ESC's out for Micro X's and the difference when descending is pretty stark. The tourquemaster used to be my favorite brushed ESC before I felt the Mamba Micro X. This comes in especially handy with front heavy rigs that dont do too well descending, with this ESC they become infinitely more stable.
The Revolver noise hardly bothers me at all, probably since I don't have much hearing left in the high frequencies. I find that having an audible motor sound is quite useful at times. What sort of noise does the Holmes hold put out?

Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #1195
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.brigg View Post
The Revolver noise hardly bothers me at all, probably since I don't have much hearing left in the high frequencies. I find that having an audible motor sound is quite useful at times. What sort of noise does the Holmes hold put out?

Its similar to the Revolver in that its hard to describe, its just an "alien" sound. But Holmes hold uses the motor to actively maintain its position and when its doing its thing its kind of jumping all over the place, It honestly makes me laugh because its such an oddball sound. Its a really cool idea for a different drag brake but I've never gotten past a test drive before switching back to a standard passive drag brake.

A revolver can be controlled as you're the one telling it what to do but the Holmes hold really has a mind of its own and it just does its thing.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #1196
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Its similar to the Revolver in that its hard to describe, its just an "alien" sound. But Holmes hold uses the motor to actively maintain its position and when its doing its thing its kind of jumping all over the place, It honestly makes me laugh because its such an oddball sound. Its a really cool idea for a different drag brake but I've never gotten past a test drive before switching back to a standard passive drag brake.
Considering that the Mamba X beeps come from the motor I guess that there would be some sounds using an active brake. I never heard the beeps before using the Revolver so I probably wouldn't be bothered much. In any case the Holmes ESC is still out of stock so I guess I will try the brushed motor with the Mamba X. If it works as well as you say it should be fine.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #1197

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV242 View Post
I'm running a trx4 with a Mamba X and Puller Pro 2700kv. Last weekend I was trail running and hit some mud and water and got some water into something, but not really sure what was happening. There were three occasions where the motor likely hit the water. ESC got splashed. Receiver remained dry. Maybe someone can offer some insight.

One of the things I experienced was an 'Aux Wire Glitch' alarm from the esc. I disconnected, reconnected, left disconnected the aux wire and only after about 20-30 min did the alarm stop and the aux wire function would work again.

I also experienced some erratic behaviour with the esc/motor. During the trouble periods, upon applying forward throttle, I experience some severe cogging going forward, with a low rpm limit for only 1 or 2 feet and then the motor would abruptly stop. There were no problems going in reverse. This lasted for about 5 min at a time and then things were fine again. The final time I experienced this the esc and motor got hot quite quickly. The motor was normally running about 95F that day but quickly approached 140F before I shut it down.

I ran much more and deeper water with the stock esc and motor without any trouble, and it was my understanding from research and recommendation that I could at least splash in the water with this setup without issue.

I've used the truck for a few short sessions since and everything is fine.

So what got wet? And can I prevent this from occurring again?

Sounds like sensor harness on the mamba x. Take out the sensor/aux harness and be sure it's clean and dry on the pins, add dielectric grease, and reassemble. Also add some to the motor sensor port while you are at it
Old 05-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Sounds like sensor harness on the mamba x. Take out the sensor/aux harness and be sure it's clean and dry on the pins, add dielectric grease, and reassemble. Also add some to the motor sensor port while you are at it
Sounds good, thanks! Going to do it now.

UPDATE: Greased (dielectric) the ESC-Harness connection, Harness-Sensor Wire connection, and Sensor Wire-Motor connection. Ran mud and water in much the same manner today as last weekend with no ill effects or glitches. Thanks again.

Last edited by KV242; 05-04-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Update
KV242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #1199

Hey guys, newbie here. I know just enough to be dangerous. Need some help diagnosing what to repair on my Losi.

(I'm savy on general electrical. Have a real-life 67 Bronco crawler been driving for years. Have 2 younger boys with Baseltek / Monoprice crawlers, we just drive recreationally on our backyard rock pile & parks etc).

I picked up a used original Losi Nightcrawler a couple years ago, worked fine. Believe it to be all original. After a while, I added wheel weights, a ZTW 6A UBEC, & a steering servo (20kg red Amazon special, works great, love it). All that also worked great for several months.

BUT - I am recently having issues with it randomly not moving once I have been driving a few minutes. Seems to happen worse as it gets hotter (at least in my mind). Steering works fine. But it freezes or "hangs" and won't move forward/backward. Sometimes after a few seconds or working the throttle it will start going. But once it starts freezing up it doesn't go away, and seems to get worse & worse. I've had plenty of experience with bad electrical connections, & this seems more like a component failure.

** What does this sound like the problem is? And how can I test it?

(Does it sound like the motor (my guess)? Or the factory ESC? Or something about the UBEC I added?)

Thanks in advance!
-Paul
pmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #1200
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
Hey guys, newbie here. I know just enough to be dangerous. Need some help diagnosing what to repair on my Losi.

(I'm savy on general electrical. Have a real-life 67 Bronco crawler been driving for years. Have 2 younger boys with Baseltek / Monoprice crawlers, we just drive recreationally on our backyard rock pile & parks etc).

I picked up a used original Losi Nightcrawler a couple years ago, worked fine. Believe it to be all original. After a while, I added wheel weights, a ZTW 6A UBEC, & a steering servo (20kg red Amazon special, works great, love it). All that also worked great for several months.

BUT - I am recently having issues with it randomly not moving once I have been driving a few minutes. Seems to happen worse as it gets hotter (at least in my mind). Steering works fine. But it freezes or "hangs" and won't move forward/backward. Sometimes after a few seconds or working the throttle it will start going. But once it starts freezing up it doesn't go away, and seems to get worse & worse. I've had plenty of experience with bad electrical connections, & this seems more like a component failure.

** What does this sound like the problem is? And how can I test it?

(Does it sound like the motor (my guess)? Or the factory ESC? Or something about the UBEC I added?)

Thanks in advance!
-Paul

When you hooked up the BEC did you disconnect the red wire on the ESC plug going to the ESC? You need to do this so you're not powering the ESC twice unless you use a bypass adapter (which routes the BEC power directly to the steering servo instead of going through the receiver). Heres a link to a bypass adapter for reference https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

You also mention heat which could be an issue though it should take much longer top get so hot its an issue. How hot does it get, can you hold your finger on the motor and ESC without getting burned?

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-05-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM