Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #121
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

What does "doesn't want to work" mean? All 8 fresh batteries and still nothing on the display?
How about the pack in the car? Did it sit discharged for 3 years? Or did you use another one to check if the truck works?

If the radio is dead: try it with a different radio and receiver, doy!
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #122
Pebble Pounder

I have a scx10 running 3s, mamba micro x, pro puller stubby 2200, geared 11/90. I'm looking for more control down low and more punch. I think 4s is the step I should take. Will the micro handle it or do I need to step up to something else? How could I gear down, or should I stay 3s and change the motor?
redneckracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckracerx View Post
I have a scx10 running 3s, mamba micro x, pro puller stubby 2200, geared 11/90. I'm looking for more control down low and more punch. I think 4s is the step I should take. Will the micro handle it or do I need to step up to something else? How could I gear down, or should I stay 3s and change the motor?
Well Castle says:

Applying voltages higher than 12.6 volts will cause irreparable damage to your controller, voiding your warranty.

That sounds like a pretty solid "NO" on 4S.

As far as gearing down, go to underdrive gears in the axles if you haven't already.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
UD gears, but if you want more punch, ditch the mirco x for a mamba x, it puts out more power and you can step up to 4s.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #125
Pebble Pounder

Would I see a difference by just going to the x? I have ud gears in the rear but od gears up front. Thanks for the help guys!
redneckracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Would I see a difference by just going to the x? I have ud gears in the rear but od gears up front. Thanks for the help guys!
If your batterys can deliver it, yes. But not if your just crawling, but anything else it will.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #127
Rock Stacker

I am installing my Pro4HD in my SCX10. It has a Super Shafty Bomb Proof transmission. The motor plate is machined to accept 3mm motor screws. The Pro4HD uses 4mm. I need to open the slots ever so slightly.

What do I open the slots with? Dremel metal cutting bit? Small file? Suggestions?
OhioGuy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy82 View Post
I am installing my Pro4HD in my SCX10. It has a Super Shafty Bomb Proof transmission. The motor plate is machined to accept 3mm motor screws. The Pro4HD uses 4mm. I need to open the slots ever so slightly.

What do I open the slots with? Dremel metal cutting bit? Small file? Suggestions?
The Pro4HD has 3mm mounting holes too. Take the endbell off and rotate it so the 3mm holes are in the position you need.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #129
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The Pro4HD has 3mm mounting holes too. Take the endbell off and rotate it so the 3mm holes are in the position you need.
That may be the case for some Pro4HD motors but mine definitely does not have 3mm mount option. Mine has been on the shelf for about 4 years. There may have been a end bell revision since then. All I have are 4mm.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy82 View Post
That may be the case for some Pro4HD motors but mine definitely does not have 3mm mount option. Mine has been on the shelf for about 4 years. There may have been a end bell revision since then. All I have are 4mm.
Don't know whats up with your motor then, Tekin Pro4HD motors have come with 3 and 4 mm holes since they came out in 2013. Even my much larger T8 motor that predates the Pro4HD has holes for both screw sizes.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #131
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Don't know whats up with your motor then, Tekin Pro4HD motors have come with 3 and 4 mm holes since they came out in 2013. Even my much larger T8 motor that predates the Pro4HD has holes for both screw sizes.
Well, I am a complete idiot. It does have 3mm, I had the plugged with grub screws and gave the appearence they were smaller. I already bought 4mm cap screws and stil plan on using them. I have the 3mm holes plugged for waterproofing.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #132
RCC Addict

Does anyone know why there are little ferrite chokes on the motor leads on my RTR Ascender? And do I need to find them for my new kit build? I was trying to find info online but nothing definitive. Is this something Horizon Hobby thought we needed? Does everything have them on their motor leads?
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #133
RCC Addict

Also, on a HW1080 I was going to solder motor leads direct to the motor. Will the esc know which is forward and reverse if I have to switch the radio for motor direction? Or do you have to switch the leads if it runs backwards?
In otherwords, if my leads are backwards can I simply use the radio motor direction switch?
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #134
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Also, on a HW1080 I was going to solder motor leads direct to the motor. Will the esc know which is forward and reverse if I have to switch the radio for motor direction? Or do you have to switch the leads if it runs backwards?
In otherwords, if my leads are backwards can I simply use the radio motor direction switch?
You can swap with the radio but you should really solder bullet connectors to the esc and motor.

Much easier for maintenance or motor swap if it dies.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #135
Rock Crawler

The 1080, weirdly, doesn't have a reverse direction option.

Ditch the chokes.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #136
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
The 1080, weirdly, doesn't have a reverse direction option.

Ditch the chokes.
You reverse from your transmitter / RX, not the esc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #137
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Does anyone know why there are little ferrite chokes on the motor leads on my RTR Ascender? And do I need to find them for my new kit build? I was trying to find info online but nothing definitive. Is this something Horizon Hobby thought we needed? Does everything have them on their motor leads?
No, not needed on your new build.

Quote:
Put 4mm bullets on your motor leads. It will make your life easier.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #138
Rock Crawler

Jboucher, some ESCs (1080 included) can give you trouble when calibrating if the signal is opposite of what they like. I had to reverse on the radio and then flip the motor wires to make it work right.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #139
Quarry Creeper

Hi Crawler fans,

Santa will bring a V2 Barrage kit and an Amp MT kit for my son and I to build together. I am considering getting a Hobbywing 1080 ESC to run in the Barrage and sticking the 60A Barrage ESC in the Amp. I am wondering if I could then bind the stock Barrage receiver to the transmitter that comes with the Amp. Or, I could just use the transmitter and receiver from the Barrage for the Amp, and get a Futaba receiver to use our 3PV with the Barrage. I don't know if it will make much difference, but I will try out a couple of cheap Hobbywing external BECs (6v) to power upgraded servos in both kits.
Thoughts? Thanks!

-MP
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:51 AM   #140
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongol Pete View Post
Hi Crawler fans,

Santa will bring a V2 Barrage kit and an Amp MT kit for my son and I to build together. I am considering getting a Hobbywing 1080 ESC to run in the Barrage and sticking the 60A Barrage ESC in the Amp. I am wondering if I could then bind the stock Barrage receiver to the transmitter that comes with the Amp. Or, I could just use the transmitter and receiver from the Barrage for the Amp, and get a Futaba receiver to use our 3PV with the Barrage. I don't know if it will make much difference, but I will try out a couple of cheap Hobbywing external BECs (6v) to power upgraded servos in both kits.
Thoughts? Thanks!

-MP
From what I've heard the BEC in the 1080 should be plenty for all but the most power hungry servos (500+ oz-in servos)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM