Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #1501
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

I recently built a trx4 with a crawl master sport 550 and a wp1080 and am really impressed . My other rigs are all stock electrics in a scx10 and a wraith . I am going to build a umg10 and it recommends a 540 can but have been reading all the different builds and seen a few used a 550 can motor .

What is the difference and benefits to the different motor sizes . Do you need to consider gearing and or the esc choices when changing motor sizes .
iplaywithrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #1502
I wanna be Dave

holmes hobbies has IMO the best chart for comparing motor speeds vs turns. Turns between companies will vary between manufactures but the speeds remain in the same ballpark.
The 550 motors will be slower then the 540 motors at the same number of turns. The 550 motors will give you more torque. The 540 motors may give you slightly smoother startup.
Personally, my favorite setup is a 10t crawlmaster 550 (the fastest one) then I gear it down 9t pinion 45t spur in the trx4 I think is the lowest.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #1503
Rock Crawler

Hey John, will the Tekin FXR handle your crawlmaster magnum 16t in a capra? Thanks.
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #1504
I wanna be Dave

Yes, crawlers are not very demanding on esc's

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #1505
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

magnums can get amp hungry. FXR is fine. BXR I wouldn't recommend.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #1506
RCC Addict

John, love your products brother! Your YouTube is hilarious. I have to watch the videos even when it has nothing to do with anything I have. Keep it up!!!

Ok now my questions.
#1 why are revolvers so loud?
#2 can you make a quite one?

I've seen these motors in action and man do they perform good, but being out in the woods and crawling next to a guy with one will make you go crazy. I've turned off so many good videos due to the dental drill crawling the rocks. Was just something I was thinking about and thought it would be a good question for you. Have a great day!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #1507
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Ok now my questions.
#1 why are revolvers so loud?
#2 can you make a quite one?
So the volume of the Revolver is the result of all the active material in the can making it so torque dense acting as a speaker. The snubnose Revolver is much quieter because it makes half the power of the full size one.

More active material = more power = more speaker effect.

Running an ESC with adjustable throttle frequency can reduce the noise level but I don't know what ESCs have the option of high enough frequencies besides the Holmes BLE.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #1508
Quarry Creeper

My question is about transmitters, surface radios are limited to 4 ch? I would like 6, the only way I see to get there is aircraft transmitters?

Please advise, & thanks in advance
Pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #1509
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
My question is about transmitters, surface radios are limited to 4 ch? I would like 6, the only way I see to get there is aircraft transmitters?

Pep
Radiolink has the RC6GS and there are many others

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #1510

Looking to upgrade a stock bully2, Not serious competition crawler, play king, I read your bl-mini -dual, and paired up motors, bec, deans plug, all soldered up, plug-n-play, been looking on website for a couple weeks...out of stock, where can buy rtr....? Thx
Chip9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #1511
I wanna be Dave

Default Have tech questions? Will answer.

Quote:

Pep

Not at all. Look into flysky. I bought a cheapie for $37.00 (inc 3channel rx)and a hack kit for 6.00. 8 channel rx was 12.00. (6 channel for 9.00)

Took about 15 minutes to hack . Google it.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #1512
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Pep
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Not at all. Look into flysky. I bought a cheapie for $37.00 (inc 3channel rx)and a hack kit for 6.00. 8 channel rx was 12.00. (6 channel for 9.00)

Took about 15 minutes to hack . Google it.

Hang up and Drive
FlySky GT5 is 6ch out of the box.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #1513
Quarry Creeper

Ok I will look into these, I want a stick box if it is possible to find for surface control. Not sure I can get used to the wheel thing.

How about servos good mid range price & up, do not need water proof. Also speed control, all have forward and reverse I assume?

Thanks
Pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:19 AM   #1514
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ok I will look into these, I want a stick box if it is possible to find for surface control. Not sure I can get used to the wheel thing.

How about servos good mid range price & up, do not need water proof. Also speed control, all have forward and reverse I assume?

Thanks
Pep
I don't know of a stick surface radio personally. There's no reason you couldn't get an aircraft radio and just use it for surface. There's plenty of options and they're cheap.

As for a speed control and servo, it's really going to help if you tell us what your intentions are (crawling, trailing, scale/size) and what motor you plan on using.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #1515
Rock Stacker

Ok I’ve searched all over I could find the answer I was looking for. I have a trx4 with locking diffs and 2speed and I’m wanting to try rear steer but I can’t find a radio the has a variable channel(Like the frt steering not just a right and left switch) that can be used for rear steer. And still have all the normal controls the stock radio has. Most I see just have switch that lets it turn all the way right and left. Thanks
big specht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #1516
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by big specht View Post
Ok I’ve searched all over I could find the answer I was looking for. I have a trx4 with locking diffs and 2speed and I’m wanting to try rear steer but I can’t find a radio the has a variable channel(Like the frt steering not just a right and left switch) that can be used for rear steer. And still have all the normal controls the stock radio has. Most I see just have switch that lets it turn all the way right and left. Thanks
Look at the Radiolink RC6GS.
They have switches for the locking diffs and 2 speed plus a rotating knob that could be used for rear steer I think

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #1517
I wanna be Dave

For my 2nd & 3rd crawlers (SSD Trail King Pro, to be followed by an RC4WD Trail Finder 2), I am back to considering a Mamba X (or Mamba Micro X w/ external CC 2.0 BEC), paired with a HH PP ('standard' 540, or 'XL' 550). However, I am also considering the AXE F.O.C. System (from what I understand, there have been improvements in the hardware, as well as the most recent firmware, that put it on-par with the Castle/HH combo).

The TK will have a Lexan body (ie. more of a comp-style crawler, although I haven't even thought about what body), while the TF2 will have a Killerbody LC70 (w/ completely detailed interior & engine bay, ie. a scale crawler). So...the real questions are as follows:

1) Should both be Mamba X/Mamba Micro X & HH PP?
2) Should both be Hobbywing AXE F.O.C.?
3) Or, should they end up with one of each (based on each vehicle type & intended purpose, which vehicle should/would receive each combo)?

Not asking about can size, or kV...just trying to figure out, based on "intended purpose", which combo should/would be 'best' for the "Trail King comp-crawler", and which combo should/would be 'best' for the "Trail Finder 2 scale-crawler".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #1518
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big specht View Post
The FlySky GT5 will let you steer the rear wheels, but only in conjunction with the front wheels.
If you can find an Airtronics/Sanwa MT4, it actually has a knob you can steer the rear separately with.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #1519
Quarry Creeper

I have a tech question related to a recently installed MyTrickRC (TRX4) Bronco light kit. I've got everything wired up correctly but my reverse light function backwards (on with forward throttle). A while back I installed a full HH brushless kit, after removing the reverse turn Titan motor I used the HH ESC to flip the throttle (normal rotation) and get my tires spinning the correct direction. A few months ago I installed the SSD portal delete kit, tires spinning backwards again, use the Traxxas link app (more handy than castle link on my laptop) to flip the throttle again, correct tire rotation. Fast forward to more recently after installing the light kit with my throttle direction theoretically set the same as stock and my reverse lights don't work correctly. So is the light kit directly tied to the throttle input coming from the transmitter (reversed)? If I set the throttle on the transmitter back to normal and re-reverse the throttle on my ESC would that fix my reverse lights?
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:39 AM   #1520
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
The FlySky GT5 will let you steer the rear wheels, but only in conjunction with the front wheels.
If you can find an Airtronics/Sanwa MT4, it actually has a knob you can steer the rear separately with.

That's not correct the Flysky GT5 has Crawl Mode which is 4WS.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM