Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2020, 01:32 AM   #1661
Rock Stacker

Default Re: kV change vs.pinion size

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjo69 View Post
Is there a general rule of thumb regarding pinion gear sizing when changing motor kV? Say for like every 500kV added or removed you add or subtract 1 tooth from your pinion size? Obviously it would just be a starting point but I just wondered if such a relationship has been established or not? Thank you, Ed
I would think that the battery specs would matter (2S - 6S), weight of the vehicle, minimum startup speed of the motor, and size of the can (540/550).

I’d also consider how ‘slow’ is slow for your situation. Personally, I can’t seem to gear low enough hahaha! THAT kind of low speed control on climbs/descents is incredibly fun.
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2020, 11:28 PM   #1662
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is there a general rule of thumb regarding pinion gear sizing when changing motor kV? Say for like every 500kV added or removed you add or subtract 1 tooth from your pinion size? Obviously it would just be a starting point but I just wondered if such a relationship has been established or not? Thank you, Ed
Use this spread sheet to figure it out
Yes there is an equation. Basicaly if you double the kv remove half the pinion teeth.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 03-02-2020 at 11:33 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #1663
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Use this spread sheet to figure it out
Yes there is an equation. Basicaly if you double the kv remove half the pinion teeth.

Thank you Voodoo, I sent a request to use it and then noticed you left the bottom line editable for use. Thanks again, Ed
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #1664
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

If you save a copy you can edit it, just not the grey lines. The second tab has more info too when you get comfortable in the first.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #1665
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
If you save a copy you can edit it, just not the grey lines. The second tab has more info too when you get comfortable in the first.

That's what I ended up doing,thank you very much, now I just have to figure out the 3-gear transmission reduction in relationship to the fixed size spur and what motor pinion I am using. Get a bit confusing, I know the transmission takes what pinion I am using with the spur gear and reduces it 2:1 just not sure how to factor in the pinion/spur combo to that reduction.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #1666

The million dollar question...when will your SHV500V3 servo be in stock? Is it going to be delayed by the Coronavirus?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:01 AM   #1667
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The million dollar question...when will your SHV500V3 servo be in stock? Is it going to be delayed by the Coronavirus?
They are back in stock as of yesterday
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:25 AM   #1668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
They are back in stock as of yesterday
I signed up for the notification email and received it at 1AM this morning. I ordered one as I was waking up. Thank you!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #1669
Quarry Creeper

How do you attach the blue and yellow leads on an Apex motor?
Stoovey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #1670
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's what I ended up doing,thank you very much, now I just have to figure out the 3-gear transmission reduction in relationship to the fixed size spur and what motor pinion I am using. Get a bit confusing, I know the transmission takes what pinion I am using with the spur gear and reduces it 2:1 just not sure how to factor in the pinion/spur combo to that reduction.
You can change transmission gearing in the advanced calculator or add a custom one to the drop down on the transmission tab.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:58 PM   #1671
I wanna be Dave

HI
I have your 35t holmes pro hw crawler motors on my berg, they have been Awesome !
It has Dual micro mamba micro , then ditched my diy relay dig for a wantAmix but never could figure out how to set up the WantAmix dig controller.
So since that was like 7 yrs ago, I miss my berg and I'm thinking of ditching the wantAmix and either trying HeyOK DIG or going back to single ESC, but I'd really like to run full dig function
So what do you recommend?
add a heyok dig
go back to single esc
can I send to someyone to fix it all?
I have had much life setbacks last few yrs and I just cannot figure out this stuff anymore.
Transmitters: I have my Custom Pistol DX6i , a DX3R and my new DX6 stick using for my quadcopter.
rx: i have ar500, 6ch 6100.

Thank You

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-14-2020 at 09:30 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:08 AM   #1672
I wanna be Dave

You Have 2 esc's you don't need a dig, you need a remote that handles 2 esc's like the Spektrum dx5pro. Futaba makes them too but I don't know Futaba. No idea how your dx6i pistole functions, but basically you bind ch2 and ch3 together to be throttle in one screen and set 1 dial/switch to change the % of throttle between them in another. 100 only the front moves, 0 they both move, -100 only the rear moves. It's all in the remote programming, I imaging if you hacked a dx6i into a pistol, some how you can figure it out.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 03-16-2020 at 05:10 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #1673
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You Have 2 esc's you don't need a dig, you need a remote that handles 2 esc's like the Spektrum dx5pro. Futaba makes them too but I don't know Futaba. No idea how your dx6i pistole functions, but basically you bind ch2 and ch3 together to be throttle in one screen and set 1 dial/switch to change the % of throttle between them in another. 100 only the front moves, 0 they both move, -100 only the rear moves. It's all in the remote programming, I imaging if you hacked a dx6i into a pistol, some how you can figure it out.
Great answer Thanks !
Tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #1674

Quote:

Thanks for the information I have been looking for info like this and glad I found it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:54 AM   #1675

Default Loss of power

Hey I have this problem where when my truck is facing a wall, the motor stops turning as if it loses power
Any help would be appreciated
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #1676
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Loss of power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWave View Post
Hey I have this problem where when my truck is facing a wall, the motor stops turning as if it loses power
Any help would be appreciated
more info needed. what crawler, motor, esc , battery. gear ratio and condition of motor is important too.

Does the entire system shut off, just the motor, or is the motor simply too weak to take the load?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
more info needed. what crawler, motor, esc , battery. gear ratio and condition of motor is important too.

Does the entire system shut off, just the motor, or is the motor simply too weak to take the load?

It's a scx10.1 everything is stock
The motor doesn't turn at all when facing a wall

Old 03-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #1678
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWave View Post
It's a scx10.1 everything is stock
The motor doesn't turn at all when facing a wall

A stock scx10II should have enough power to climb a wall if the tires can find it. It sounds like a weak motor, or....

I wonder, which model is it and did the throttle get turned down? A throttle % switch was on some Tx's and if thats at50% the rig will not have much power, esp on 2s.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #1679

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
A stock scx10II should have enough power to climb a wall if the tires can find it. It sounds like a weak motor, or....

I wonder, which model is it and did the throttle get turned down? A throttle % switch was on some Tx's and if thats at50% the rig will not have much power, esp on 2s.

Alright I'll check on that
Thank you

Old 03-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #1680
Pebble Pounder

Hello, I have a hopefully simple question, I have a CC 2.0 WP-BEC using it at 6v (this version has 2 out put legs each at same voltage), on one leg is power Led Light Bars and the other leg is power 2 fans. I want to add a switch to the fans so that I can turn them on or off as needed. I have a few older Novak on/off switches that just brake the circuit on one wire. Does it matter if I put it on the positive or negative leg? It will be in-between the BEC and the fans so lights will still function normally on the second leg. Thank you guys and gals, Ed

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM