Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #1881
Rock Crawler

Default Have tech questions? Will answer.

Which HH brushed motors would you recommend for a Cross RC SG4C? I’m planning to run a HH BR-XL ESC and the upgraded SG4 transmission, which has an aluminum case and stronger-than-stock gears. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Thloftus; 12-20-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #1882
RCC Addict

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Hey John, I'm currently working on my Trx-6. I'm going to be running a Trailmaster BLE PRO & a puller pro BL 540s 3300kv motor. What's the best way to set up this ESC for crawling and how should I go about reversing the motor for the Trx transmission??? Thanks for any help you can send my way!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #1883
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Hey John, I'm currently working on my Trx-6. I'm going to be running a Trailmaster BLE PRO & a puller pro BL 540s 3300kv motor. What's the best way to set up this ESC for crawling and how should I go about reversing the motor for the Trx transmission??? Thanks for any help you can send my way!!!

Animal,

I found this on HH website. The esc is based on the castle system it seems and Castle Link /computer is best way to get most out of it.

https://holmeshobbies.com/downloads/...structions.pdf

So, I’d fire up Castle Link, hook up to the esc and go through what’s there.

I imagine it’s similar to the Mamba X and there is an option to change motor direction.

Here is a great HH video that goes through tuning the Mamba X. Mine is programmed pretty much verbatim to this video and is awesome in my Trx4.

https://youtu.be/1r8y_hJjjKU

Good luck and I hope this helps.

If I’m way off base hopefully someone will chime in with the correct info.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #1884
I wanna be Dave

Nope that’s gospel.
I’ve run that in all 3 sensored rigs.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #1885
Rock Stacker

Hi John,
Have two projects this winter, that need some advice. I have a TRX Defender and SSD Trail King kit. Running a HW1080 w/stock motor on TRX.
I am seeking a smooth and quiet motor/esc combo for each. They don’t necessarily have to be the same for both. Also brushed or brushless works for me.
Doesn’t have to be budget, probably mid range would work. Keep cranking out the YouTube videos, very entertaining.
Thank you,
Uncle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:08 PM   #1886
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pete View Post
Hi John,
Have two projects this winter, that need some advice. I have a TRX Defender and SSD Trail King kit. Running a HW1080 w/stock motor on TRX.
I am seeking a smooth and quiet motor/esc combo for each. They don’t necessarily have to be the same for both. Also brushed or brushless works for me.
Doesn’t have to be budget, probably mid range would work. Keep cranking out the YouTube videos, very entertaining.
Thank you,

I also have a yet to be built trail king kit that needs a motor/esc so i am curious as well.

I have a SH500V3 already
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:46 AM   #1887
I wanna be Dave

Although the puller pro's are not the quietest motor when paired with a castle esc, they are nothing compared to a revolver, and a mamba x paired to a 2200kv is IMO a great combo for any vehicle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBbw8J0ZSnY that's on 6s with a 9t pinion, but it works great on 3 or 4s too. Usually I stick to 4s. If you want to stay brushless then I recommend any motor that's close to 2200kv. This kv range produces the most power, if the speed is too high I still recommend it, but suggest you get a smaller pinion and or larger spur. Personally I run the 10t crawlmaster pro on 4s with a 48p 9t pinion and 87t-96t spur. Its barely faster then walking speed, but I suppose all the gear reduction creates some noise at speed. But if you want a good low end it's top notch, only falling short to some custom firmware I have been playing with https://youtu.be/wSW2xc274UM

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 01-19-2021 at 03:49 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #1888
Pebble Pounder

I'm having a small problem calibrating my BR Mini Dual. Full throttle is fine, full reverse is fine. When I release to neutral throttle, I get some lights and beeps, then a both the esc beep slowly, twice about every 3 seconds. The esc does not arm. Not sure how to proceed.

If I disconnect and reconnect power, everything is fine. (but did it calibrate?)

Last edited by nathanotis; 01-21-2021 at 06:39 PM.
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #1889
I wanna be Dave

It's 2 esc's, calabrate them one at a time.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #1890
I wanna be Dave

Then remove one red wire

Old 01-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #1891
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
It's 2 esc's, calabrate them one at a time.

Then remove one red wire
I've heard people talk about this, but never understood how it can be done. I understand it's 2 esc wired together. You must have power to turn it on in order to calibrate it/them, though...

The directions from H.H. state:

Quote:
Note: When running two ESCs, they CANNOT have the battery power wires connected during calibration or programming. It will cause problems with the second ESC.
This is confusing because of the following:

Quote:
1) Remove pinion from motor to prevent accidents
2) Plug in battery
Step 2 plainly states PLUG IN THE BATTERY, which seems in conflict with the note which states, "... they CANNOT have the battery power wires connected ..."

I don't mean to be thick, but you can't have it both ways.

It's worth mentioning that when I plug them each in to my Castle Link, the software shows numbers for throttle, neutral and brake. I suppose those wouldn't be there if it hadn't worked...? Or am I linking two unrelated things?

Last edited by nathanotis; 01-25-2021 at 08:01 AM.
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #1892
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanotis View Post
I've heard people talk about this, but understood how it can be done. I understand it's 2 esc wired together. You have to have power to turn it on in order to calibrate it/them, though...

The directions from H.H. state:

This is confusing because of the following:

Step 2 plainly states PLUG IN THE BATTERY, which seems in conflict with the note which states, "... they CANNOT have the battery power wires connected ..."

I don't mean to be thick, but you can't have it both ways.

It's worth mentioning that when I plug them each in to my Castle Link, the software shows numbers for throttle, neutral and brake. I suppose those wouldn't be there if it hadn't worked...? Or am I linking two unrelated things?
Maybe the 2nd ESC shouldn't be powered? So effectively you calibrate each ESC separately, then power them both?
OutLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:00 PM   #1893
I wanna be Dave

Default Have tech questions? Will answer.

Those directions have said that for years. The red wire from the esc is the internal bec, you only need one to power the rx. To calibrate the duals, calibrate one as normal, then calibrate the second one the same way. Use only channel 2. When both are calibrated , then pull the second red wire, then plug one into channel 2, the other into channel 3 or 4 depending on your mix. As the two esc’s are hard wired together, no easy way to separate them.
This is how I did mine on my Bullyll with the BRMD, and my Futaba 4PLS
Still works perfectly after 2 years.

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-24-2021, 04:15 AM   #1894
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Those directions have said that for years. The red wire from the esc is the internal bec, you only need one to power the rx. To calibrate the duals, calibrate one as normal, then calibrate the second one the same way. Use only channel 2. When both are calibrated , then pull the second red wire, then plug one into channel 2, the other into channel 3 or 4 depending on your mix. As the two esc’s are hard wired together, no easy way to separate them.
This is how I did mine on my Bullyll with the BRMD, and my Futaba 4PLS
Still works perfectly after 2 years.

Hang up and Drive
What Mike said is correct.

This is just practical advice and comes with no warrinty...
It's ok to power the second ESC, just unplug it from stuff.
as for removing the red wire, you can use a steak knife or razor to lift the tab then pull it out of the dupont plug.

I don't know why they don't like to calibrate at the same time. It's just one of life's great mysteries.

If it ever sounds like I've been drinking...
I don't know, I don't drink.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 01-24-2021 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Some times I wanna talk about me!
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #1895
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Poor wording I suppose. It works well enough to calibrate each on channel 2 and then move the plug to whatever channels you will use .
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:05 AM   #1896

Hi John, I've read all the posts I could in which you talk about motors behavior and choices, I'm building a new scale rig and It'll be heavy, I'd like a 2-speed and my options for transmission/motor are:

1 - Axial SCX10II kit, 11t pinion with 56t spur (can't go bigger), 27.15:1 / 14,66:1 final reductions, 55T 540 brushed motor on 3S for top speeds of 5.17mph and 9.57mph
2 - Axspeed SSD SCX, 12t pinion with 60t spur gear, 65.46:1 / 24:1 final reductions, 1800kV brushless 540 motor on 3S for top speeds of 3.85mph and 10.5mph

For realism sake I'd choose the first one (I can mount it reversed and hide it) because the second one is bulky, for driveability I'd choose the second one because it's similar in gearing to the TRX4 that I already have and I get your "gear up, volt down" mantra, my questions are:

- would I encounter heating issues with the first one, being a 540 motor on an heavy rig?
- is the second choice always better and also more efficient (longer runtimes)?
- do I need a 2 speed or can I get away without heating issues with a 540 1800kV brushless on 3S on the first transmission with just the first gear? I'd do mostly low-speed scale crawling and trailing, no extreme climbing.

Thank you!

Pablo

Last edited by RCPawel; 03-12-2021 at 06:08 AM.
RCPawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:42 AM   #1897
I wanna be Dave

I would ask why not a 3500 PullerPro on 3s. Run your gears, curved throttle as JRH shows and no two speed. If you feel a 3500 is too fast, a 2700 will work . I run a 3500 on my 11.5# Wraith crawler, per John’s rec

Hang up and Drive
Old 03-12-2021, 07:00 AM   #1898

I'd like a top speed of 11mph tops, I don't need more since I'd like the speed to be scale too
Old 03-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #1899

No one?
Old 03-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #1900

Looking for an SCX24 battery extension. Searched multiple times using various ways (MCPX JST, micro battery, and everything else in between). Anybody know where I could pick one up, outside of buying a plethora of pigtails and soldering them together?

PS. I don't have a soldering iron yet, and don't really wanna buy one for a 3 inch extension.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk
JayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM