Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #1441

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Thankyou, Ill do that.
yeahright is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2019, 03:20 AM   #1442

I was running my truck today and all of a sudden, no reverse, I reprogramed the ESC and BEC still no reverse.
It is Mumba X and CC Slate motor. Any ideas???
Old 10-21-2019, 04:15 AM   #1443
I wanna be Dave

Make sure esc is crawler reverse.
Make sure fwd/reverse is set correctly on remote.
Recalibrate esc.
Rebind remote.
Could be lots of things.
Probably just software.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:43 AM   #1444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Make sure esc is crawler reverse.
Make sure fwd/reverse is set correctly on remote.
Recalibrate esc.
Rebind remote.
Could be lots of things.
Probably just software.

Thanks Ill give it a go tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #1445
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahright View Post
I was running my truck today and all of a sudden, no reverse, I reprogramed the ESC and BEC still no reverse.
It is Mumba X and CC Slate motor. Any ideas???
hook it up to castle link and reflash the firmware if all else fails.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #1446
I wanna be Dave

Hey John - my Capra will be here before too long. I've been following some of the different set-ups you've been testing. I've got a Truggy build with a 3500kv Puller Pro Stubby and BLE. I just ordered a new Crawlmater 20T and HW1080 for the Truggy. I'm wondering how the 3500kv PP Stubby would perform in the Capra? Based on what I'm hearing about the Capra gearing, it sounds like it may be way too fast for it?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #1447
I wanna be Dave

Harley recommended a bit lower KV, he went with a 2700 https://youtu.be/4PGpyXNqJFc?t=414

I sent Holmes Hobbies a question a while back and though I would share it here too:

Question: I'm brainstorming a new crawler build and I'm considering volting up and gearing down (running 4S). I'm searching for motors that are rated to handle 4S but I'm not finding this spec listed on the majority of your motors (only on a few). Im thinking of going for something in the 1700-2200 KV range.
Is there a brushed motor that can handle 4S, or would that be more of a brushless thing? Is it more a matter of getting the proper KV?
Would you recommend a particular motor for 4S (it needs to be 540 sized or smaller)?

Answer: As long as you watch gearing any of our motors can handle 4s
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #1448
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Harley recommended a bit lower KV, he went with a 2700 https://youtu.be/4PGpyXNqJFc?t=414

I sent Holmes Hobbies a question a while back and though I would share it here too:

Question: I'm brainstorming a new crawler build and I'm considering volting up and gearing down (running 4S). I'm searching for motors that are rated to handle 4S but I'm not finding this spec listed on the majority of your motors (only on a few). Im thinking of going for something in the 1700-2200 KV range.
Is there a brushed motor that can handle 4S, or would that be more of a brushless thing? Is it more a matter of getting the proper KV?
Would you recommend a particular motor for 4S (it needs to be 540 sized or smaller)?

Answer: As long as you watch gearing any of our motors can handle 4s

Yeah Humboldt, my suspicion is that it will be way too much wheel speed with the final gearing on the Capra. I'm sure I'll find a home for it in something.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #1449
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Yeah Humboldt, my suspicion is that it will be way too much wheel speed with the final gearing on the Capra. I'm sure I'll find a home for it in something.
Oh, but isn’t it fun to have that speed there should the mood strike...

you’ve already got the motor after all
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #1450
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Oh, but isn’t it fun to have that speed there should the mood strike...

you’ve already got the motor after all

Yeah, that was my thought smog. I figure I'll do a 10 tooth pinion and see what I think. I can always get another set up if I don't care for it. That said, I'm stoked to see how the Crawlmaster and HW1080 work out in the Trugster. I have a feeling I'm really gonna like it. My last Crawlmaster was in the Wraith before I took it brushless with a 3500kv PP.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #1451
I wanna be Dave

Can you bolt a scx10/wraith tranny in the Capra?

Old 10-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #1452
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

There's a post in the Capra thread about a guy doing this. Not sure why you posted this under electronics????

Last edited by mewalsh100; 10-25-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #1453
I wanna be Dave

Because people were just discussing the high gear ratio of the Capra. A wraith tranny could be a fix if it bolts in. Since gear ratio affects the temperature of electronics it is relavent

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 10-26-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:46 PM   #1454
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Not without modification.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:55 PM   #1455

I bought a new servo and I tried to attach it to my rock crawler. However, when the vehicle turns on, it starts at a wrong angle so the wheels are not straight. Could anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, I truly appreciate your help!
bujibuji123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:06 AM   #1456
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujibuji123 View Post
I bought a new servo and I tried to attach it to my rock crawler. However, when the vehicle turns on, it starts at a wrong angle so the wheels are not straight. Could anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, I truly appreciate your help!
Remove the servo horn, turn on the rig, let it center, reattach the servo horn.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:48 AM   #1457
Rock Stacker

Hello all!

I have a TRX-6 that I’d like to swap motors out on, but keep stock ESC. I think I’ve narrowed it down the the CrawlMaster Pro 550 10t and the TorqueMaster Pro 550 21t. The owners manual says 12-turn limit with 2s & 21-turn on 3S. Will the CM 10t work or burn my ESC up on 3S (I’m geared down; volted up )?

I’d rather keep the same wheel speed as the stock Titan 21t, but more torque & resolution is desired. Does the CM 10t have roughly twice the torque as the stock Titan? And will that give me the same (if not a touch more) wheel speed thus same vehicle capabilities? I’ve trolled this forum, all 73 pages of this thread, countless hours of YouTube... and still unsure!

Would 6* timing effect drag brake?

I greatly appreciate your time & assistance, everyone!

Last edited by R/C controls YOU; 10-27-2019 at 03:49 AM.
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:08 AM   #1458
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Because people were just discussing the high gear ratio of the Capra. A wraith tranny could be a fix if it bolts in. Since gear ratio affects the temperature of electronics it is relavent

I figured that’s where you were goin, but still a reach under electronics.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #1459
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C controls YOU View Post
Hello all!

I have a TRX-6 that I’d like to swap motors out on, but keep stock ESC. I think I’ve narrowed it down the the CrawlMaster Pro 550 10t and the TorqueMaster Pro 550 21t. The owners manual says 12-turn limit with 2s & 21-turn on 3S. Will the CM 10t work or burn my ESC up on 3S (I’m geared down; volted up )?

I’d rather keep the same wheel speed as the stock Titan 21t, but more torque & resolution is desired. Does the CM 10t have roughly twice the torque as the stock Titan? And will that give me the same (if not a touch more) wheel speed thus same vehicle capabilities? I’ve trolled this forum, all 73 pages of this thread, countless hours of YouTube... and still unsure!

Would 6* timing effect drag brake?

I greatly appreciate your time & assistance, everyone!

You will be fine with the crawlmaster, even though its 10t it is closer to a 21t in esc load because its five slot. It will be a shade faster than stock, pretty close though.

A torquemaster pro will be over double (about 120%) the torque of stock. A crawlmaster pro will be right at double.

6 degrees timing wont affect your drag enough to notice.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #1460
I wanna be Dave

NOTE: Your pardons, please, as this is a somewhat-long post. When when you finish reading it, hopefully, you'll understand why it's as long as it is...tho, I did my best to keep it as short as possible.

I've run into a "strange" problem in trying to get the DIG on my Capra operational...one that, so far, no one has been able to figure out (and several people have tried). But, first, here a breakdown on the electronics involved:

Futaba 7PX - Tx
Futaba R2006GS - Rx
Hitec HS-7954SH - standard servo for steering (called 'S1' in section below)
Hitec HS-5070MH - micro servo intended for DIG (called 'M1' in section below)
Hitec HS-5585MH - standard servo originally intended for steering, & used in testing DIG (called 'S2' in section below)
Traxxas 2065 - micro servo used for testing DIG (called 'M2' in section below)

With the exception of the Traxxas micro servo (M2), all servos are capable of 7.4V. even though M2 isn't "rated" for 7.4V operation, as you will find out, below, it did function with 7.4V bring applied to it. Also, the Rx channels being used are as follows:
Ch1 - steering
Ch2 - Mamba X ESC (set at 7.4V)
Ch3 - Mamba X secondary wire
Ch4 - DIG
Ch5 - headlights
Ch6 - lightbar

As I mentioned, I can't get the DIG operational. I'm using Ch4 for DIG control, with DT4 set as a 3-position switch (-100, 0, +100). With M1 plugged into Ch4, M1 was non-operational. I unplugged S1 from Ch1, & plugged M1 into Ch1. While it turned to the right (clockwise), it would neither center, nor turn to the left. This, alone, was "strange". To 'double-check', I turned everything off, manually rotated (slowly) the splines to the full-left position. I wanted to see if two things would happen - would servo center itself; would it turn left again, but not right. When everything was turned back on, it did not center (again), would turn right (again), but would not turn left (again).

Next, I plugged S1 into Ch4, to see if maybe Ch4 was 'problematic'and/or if my settings were incorrect...and it functioned perfectly, correctly hitting all three switch positions. I did the same with S2, and the same results were produced. Thus, I determined that neither the Tx, Rx, or settings on the Tx, were the problem. Finally, in regards to M1, I had one more troubleshooting step I could try, using my Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL (currently running stock Traxxas electronics, except for a Hitec servo). I plugged M1 into Ch1 of the Traxxas Rx on my Rustler 4x4 VXL...and, once again, nothing. At this point, I believed M1 to be "DOA", so I picked up a new micro servo (M2), to temporarily use until I could get a replacement for M1.

First 'troubleshoot step' with M2 was to put it into Ch4...and, nothing. So, at this point, I'm thinking to myself, "Two bad micro servos in a row? What's the chance of that?" Next, I unplugged M2 from Ch4, and, on a whim, plugged it into Ch1. If it failed there, that would be "proof" of two DOA micro servos in a row...but, it didn't fail. With M2 plugged into Ch1, it functioned as if it were a steering servo. So, back to Ch4 it went...and, nothing.

After going through all that, here's what I've been able to determine so far. Starting with M1, it is possible that it is DOA, to which AMain is shipping me a replacement. However, this does not detract from the fact that neither micro servo would function on Ch4. What adds to the "strangeness" of this whole situation is that, while neither micro servo worked on Ch4, both standard servos DID function correctly on Ch4. Taking the "strangeness" one step further, while M2 wouldn't function when plugged into Ch4, it DID function correctly when plugged into Ch1.

As I said, this is a "strange" problem. Standard servos (S1 & S2) work correctly under Ch1 or Ch4. Micro servo S2 doesn't work on Ch4 (the channel it would be used on), but it does work on Ch1. And, finally, micro servo M1 (the actual servo intended for Ch4 DIG operation) doesn't work on Ch4 in the Capra, or on Ch1 in either vehicle.

So...what do you make of this? Am I missing a step in the Tx settings? Is there some sort of "additional setting" in the 7PX for getting micro servos to operate on channels other than Ch1? Since both servos (steering & DIG) are, according to Hitec, capable of operating under 7.4V, I don't see that as having anything to do with the problem. I even went so far as to test the servos on Ch4, workout any servo plugged into Ch1, and the same results occurred, so it shouldn't be a matter of the ESC's BEC. What this all comes down to is, what do I need to do to correct/fix this "very strange" problem?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM