Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: $15 servo winch build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default $15 servo winch build.

I have been doing some homework on building a winch servo and have come up with this combo. I will be using BOA lace for the line, super strong and super flexible. I just received the servo, works perfectly with my 3 position switch on my DX4s. My understanding of the torque rating of servos is that it is 1 inch from the center of the output. If that is correct, this should be able to pull around 34 lbs with the spool full as it will only be 1/2 inch from center. No mods or controller required as the servo is a 360deg rotation. As soon as I receive the bobbins and round horns, a little JB weld and it will be done. I will update as soon as I get the other parts with some pics and thoughts. If anyone has any tips or thoughts feel free to share.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Shawns303; 10-10-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: $15 servo winch build.

i had same idea but ordered the 30kg version from jx

Gesendet von meinem T1-A21L mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This is a pretty impressive looking servo for $11. All the gears are steel, output is not magnetic, might be brass or aluminum.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good project. The gears in the $10 JX servos I've used are usually aluminum for the input & output gears & steel for the rest. Only other thing I'd recommend is a fairlead since the rope can easily jump off an open bobbin if not perfectly straight.

I'm guessing with the 360 servo there's no potentiometer? I've never had a chance to mess with them, but appears the input changes rotation speed instead of setting a specific angle.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
Looks like a good project. The gears in the $10 JX servos I've used are usually aluminum for the input & output gears & steel for the rest. Only other thing I'd recommend is a fairlead since the rope can easily jump off an open bobbin if not perfectly straight.

I'm guessing with the 360 servo there's no potentiometer? I've never had a chance to mess with them, but appears the input changes rotation speed instead of setting a specific angle.
There is not a potentiometer. I have only quickly hooked it up to my 3rd channel which is set at 3p so not sure if it is just full bore forward and reverse or not. Need to play with it a bit more. This will be going in my SWB 10.2, haven't looked at the line routing in there yet. Thanks for your input, there are always things I don't think about.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I just hooked up this servo to a linear control. You can definitely adjust the speed, not just off and on. It definitely lacks torque at lower speed but it should have plenty to spare on my 6 lb truck. I will try it in a linear mode, adjusting the speed that the winch pulls at would be nice. The neutral range is pretty large as well, shouldn't have to worry about creep.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I came up with a fairlead. Used a long bolt on the inside servo mount and a short rod end off a shock. Guides the line perfectly! Allows it to fill the spool side to side and keeps the line away from the steering servo horn. Just a mock up for now, still waiting on the alloy round horn to mount the spool to. A little double sided tape and a plastic round horn at least let me know it is going to work!

Old 10-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Finally received the metal horns! Filed both the horn and the bobbin to give the JB weld something to bond to. Lined it up and put it in the vise, will probably sit there until Sunday. Will just need to drill a hole for the line and it will be a go!

Old 10-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Have it all set up. Dead lifts my truck no problem, and holds it when stopped. I can barely hear any strain on the servo in a dead lift, some while pulling it across carpet while in a Holmes Hold! I have not had a chance to test it in the wild, but I'm calling it a success! Let me know if you have any questions or need any help replicating this.

$15 servo winch build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo Winch and Mount For Scx10 Build rcmedic General Scale Talk 0 11-15-2012 05:24 PM