Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak Goat 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Novak Goat 2

Afternoon all,

So long story short I had a bit of money a few years ago and bought some supplys to hang onto for a rainy day. Fast forward 5 years and I had decided to upgrade my scx to a brushless system. Had one of these Goat systems on the shelf so I installed. Set everything up and did a maIden voyage to tune it last weekend. Ran fine and performed admirably. I go to charge the 2s packs I ran thru the system and they were over discharged making it difficult to recharge them ( had to treat them with a little nimh charge to get enough juice to fully charge on lipo setting). The low voltage detection is on in the esc and I did change out the battery as soon as it detected the pack was spent so what could the issue be? I'm worried that when I run Sunday that I may kill the batteries I have for this rig...

Any help or ideas appreciated
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Novak Goat 2

Stop as soon as you notice any slowing or lack of power. Or cut it short and throw in a second pack.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

IIRC The lipo cutoff is 6.4v for a 2S and 9.75 for 3S. Always seemed too low to me (I try to stay at 7v and above)....Though it's technically within specs, 6.4 might be too low for your packs..

I run 2S through mine and swap as soon as I notice any dropoff in power. A lipo volt checker/external LVC is cheap and might help in your case.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Stop as soon as you notice any slowing or lack of power. Or cut it short and throw in a second pack.
As with most of my escs they don't typically let you know or show a lack of power until I hit the lvc. I literally hit the lvc and stopped driving and switched packs. Cuting it short is a hard one to guess on as how hard it gets driven determines how quickly the pack will drain. I've used several Novak goat brushed systems and never had this issue. I believe the lvc may be set a bit low for my lipos. ..
Old 10-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
IIRC The lipo cutoff is 6.4v for a 2S and 9.75 for 3S. Always seemed too low to me (I try to stay at 7v and above)....Though it's technically within specs, 6.4 might be too low for your packs..

I run 2S through mine and swap as soon as I notice any dropoff in power. A lipo volt checker/external LVC is cheap and might help in your case.
Never seem to notice a drop off in power but I may look into an external lvc. Happen to know if they have a setable alarm? Something I could set at maybe 7 volts and listen for a beep?

Novak Goat 2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak Goat Vs Novak Goat Ballistic?? k_r_a_c_k_e_r Electronics 3 02-19-2010 07:53 PM
Novak GOAT ESC only works with Novak BL-Motors? True? spiderschwein Electronics 6 09-01-2008 04:11 PM
momba max vs. novak goat vs. novak rooster crawler punkafi888 Electronics 4 01-20-2008 02:05 AM