Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone using Xpert servos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Anyone using Xpert servos?

I've been looking a xpert servos, th WR-6601 which has plenty of torque and allegedly waterproof, which ive heard before........ a lot of servos are splash proof but im looling for something thats will take sustained submersion working hard for extended periods. I dont mind paying big bucks if i know theyre gonna last , rigjt now im going through alleged waterproof servos every couple of runs.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone using Xpert servos?

I have a couple Xpert waterproof servos and they truly are waterproof. A WR-7701 was in my Ascender for many underwater excursions and it is still as good as the day I bought it.

As a point of clarification, "underwater excursions" means the entire truck was driving underwater. Also, 2.4ghz signals aren't so good at going through water. I had to fish my truck out of a stream once because the receiver went into failsafe mode after driving into a part that was too deep for the radio signal to reach the receiver.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have run many cheap servos underwater that dont claim to be waterproof and have never burned up i also run my non waterproof savox servos underwater with out issues also i have a old futaba servo that sees underwater use for years now works great still ive had some servos glitch out till.they dry out and the same servo dipped in carosion x never glitched again ive have never ruined a servo from using it under water wether it was $4 or $80 ive stripped my share ive burned them up from working them to hard but never from water
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Almost all companies that claim waterproof rely on the rubber seals, seals which rely on a $4/day china person to assemble them w/o getting a seal pinched. If you're going to be dunking them, you should pull them apart and conformal coat the circuit board inside and make sure they're re-assembled correctly. It's also a good idea to unscrew the case's base & air out to let any moisture that seeped.

The only servos that won't need the above done will have a depth rating like a watch - good to X meters. One of my waterproof GPS units claims to be waterproof, but only down to 3m and for 30 mins.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've ruined so many servos. They can be an expensive mistake. Everything from futaba to hire and even a waterproof savox which hurt my pocket a lot lol. I usually strip and grease the splines and seal aroind screws and wire port. I'm tempted with the xpert but £80 Is a lot of money if it doesn't work....
Ferp420 I'm sorry but I can't see how.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I tested a lot of water servos, but remember all these water servos still need a schedule maintenance like cleaning and re-oil all the bearings. All else you’re going to destroy the bearings soon or later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

One exsample a quick Vid of my clod swiming in the pond its running a towerpro a 996 i think a $4 servo this is its 3rd winter and still going strong with 0 waterproofing and they dont claim to be waterproof or splashproof and these are big tires so you know the servo is working hard im thinking you might have somthing else going on burning servos like that

https://youtu.be/ekG_UExgxKU

Last edited by ferp420; 11-20-2017 at 09:16 PM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:40 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have an Xpert 7701 servo in the Yeti I am building right now. Hence I have no experience of it yet, but the servo is IP67-rated, which means it is tried and tested so that ingress of water shall not be possible for submersion up to 1 meter of depth during 30 minutes. So, if you want to drive your car like a Soviet submarine crawling along the bottom of a pond, this servo should be fine. Savox waterproof servos are also classified IP67. I would be hesistante towards a servo that says "water resistant", but has no IP67-classification.

Last edited by Antsiranean; 11-21-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
Almost all companies that claim waterproof rely on the rubber seals, seals which rely on a $4/day china person to assemble them w/o getting a seal pinched. If you're going to be dunking them, you should pull them apart and conformal coat the circuit board inside and make sure they're re-assembled correctly. It's also a good idea to unscrew the case's base & air out to let any moisture that seeped.

The only servos that won't need the above done will have a depth rating like a watch - good to X meters. One of my waterproof GPS units claims to be waterproof, but only down to 3m and for 30 mins.
Not fully true, I think. IP67 = waterproof for up to 30 minutes and 1 meter of submersion. IP68 = waterproof under conditions specified by the manufacturer (a depth rating like a watch), and more than IP67. IP67 shoud be good enough for RC applications.
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone using Xpert servos? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xpert WR-7701-HV Servo Horn Graham13 Axial Yeti XL 1 05-26-2015 11:30 AM
Just installed a Xpert Rc servo and its not working now... Duramarks Axial Yeti XL 20 05-10-2015 10:05 PM
New Xpert Waterproof Servos svt923 Electronics 16 11-01-2014 09:11 AM